don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    <div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: left;">
    <a href="http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/cl/Visual-Changelog---Objects.html" imageanchor="1" style="margin-left: 1em; margin-right: 1em;"jpg[/IMG] border="0" height="427" src="http://s2hd.sonicretro.org/cl/images/Visual-Changelog---Objects512.png" width="512" /></a></div>
    <br a/>
    This is an animated changelog, so Firefox or Opera is recommended for viewing.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Love the look of Sonic but the glove needs correcting. Where the index and middle finger join the palm of the hand it doesn't look right like the fingers are connected to the back of his hand.

3. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    True...but that doesn't discount the fact a release date was once said. >_>

I agree. I just wish a release date was never said since it got my hopes up for it to be coming out much sooner than reality. <_<

Looks nice.

4. zemulii

zemulii

It's just the dishonesty that bothers me. We were told that the countdown early this year was originally meant to lead up to the alpha release, but apparently plans were changed midway through. Was it reeeally that close to being ready? Never believed that for a second. But whatever... makes no difference now. Love the signpost apart from what has already been pointed out about the fingers. The highlight on the upper half of the rings looks a bit off to me. Like it's something separate to the ring itself. As it turns around it looks like it's floating on top or something.

5. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD
    Wow, I haven't been here in a long while (after submiiting some really shitty Acquatic Ruin theme remake :S), and it seems like you guys really put it together so far. Very nice! Hope we'll see a fully running build soon :)

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Oh dear. Your professionalism has been stricken slightly because of the fact that the normal "front facing" Sonic signpost frame is missing from the animation demonstration. I feel sick at you.

Anyway, you did make one mistake where you said you doubled the frame count of the ring. You lied. You quadrupled it.

Now, in all seriousness, these animations are awesome, and it's a shame we only get to see the signpost animate really fast at the end of the level. Luckily for us we get to see the ring animation everywhere, you guys did a great job at making it look like metal!

7. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    One thing I don't understand is how there can be all these animations with a huge number of frames and yet you dumped the superior monitor animations for a simpler one with the generic static flicker. This isn't a moan (as such), more asking for a technical reason if any why this was taken out. I don't see how the two cases are different and why the original monitor animation can't be used.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah the hand's definitely off. The fingers curve round in an unnatural way and the arm looks awkward, but great stuff otherwise.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    While I understand where you are coming from, we have yet to see a near final version featured in a visual changelog and we have only seen a low res version while Sonic is running in that trailer. It's Best to wait until CK shows it before we all go at it with our fine tooth combs.

Fun fact:-

One of the ring animations is positioned wrong and gives the rings a bouncing effect.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Is it just me or does Eggman's nose look extraordinarily red?

Eggman the Red-Nosed Genius?

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Eggman's face was based primarily on this:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the insight on the ring frame error and the fingers, we'll look into those.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I guess it's alright. Just, as compared to what the pixel art looked like before, it's kind of jarring!

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looking pretty awesome. The only gripes I have with Sonic is the really awkward shape of his arm (I think it should be kept mostly behind the 'window', af if it was in a 'V' shape)... and also the fact that he doesn't seem to be making the 'peace sign' anymore.

14. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    The horizon line on the ring moves with the ring itself; instead of behaving like a reflection, it behaves as if it's painted onto the ring.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, well spotted. It does look like a texture, rather than a reflection.

16. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    I'm sorry, but with that face on the sign, all I can see is..
    [​IMG]

Constructive-criticism-wise, the spinning looks really awkward, but most of all that the top of the post doesn't show any signs of movement at all. It looks very odd.

17. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    Would it need to, though? Presumably the top is what's holding it in place, so the sign in the middle spins round underneath it.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Maybe some sort of reflection/shadow would have helped? Other than that nothing needs to be done.

19. zemulii

zemulii

Nothing? Are you sure ? ;)

(hand)

I suppose it looks slightly odd when you just focus on the top. Hard to say what it needs... but I think a subtle reflection (of light reflecting off the spinning bit?) would make more sense than a shadow. Not that I'm an expert :/.... at all.

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.