don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    jesus fucking christ people
    there's legitimate complaints like "the rolling doesn't work right" "the spindash is too powerful" and then there's BAWW LETS PICK APART EVERY GODDAMN PIECE OF AESTHETIC WE ARE SHOWN AND COMPARE IT TO AN IDEAL THAT DOESN'T EXIST
    I know its futile to complain about this considering that this is a community of fucking autists but just
    urgh

2. Wireframe

Wireframe

UK
    I don't know why everyone is complaining. The modern city escape seems fine to me and all in all generations is shaping up quite nicely. Now just give me some CPZ and SSZ footage =P

3. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    ARG, that was driving me nuts, I knew it sounded like something else, very stupid of me to not relise it was Metal Harbor, the modern remix does kinda sound like like City Escape played in Metal Harbor style haha.

And wow, how long has all this "original City Escape music isnt very good" been around? I thought it was wildly belived in the fandom to be F*cking a awsome song, I certanly thought so XD

But we have already adressed and complained about all that, we cant KEEP complaining about the physics for all eternity lol

New information = new debate, how can you expect anything else from the internet?

4. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm assuming that may only be a preview version. It's surprisingly short, and it sounds like it was done live. That's comparing it to the Green Hill Modern Remix; The productions values aren't as good.

5. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    CAPITAL LETTERS AUTOMATICALLY MAKE ME RIGHT

6. This thread never ceases to get lower.

7. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    It's not your place to know why, it's non of your business. Nobody is stopping you from enjoying it are they?

8. Wireframe

Wireframe

UK
    And no-one should be trying to stop me expressing my opinion on the matter as it appears you are. This is a forum after all.

9. Ugh. That's just so wrong... They'd have been better off with the original. Something definitely sounds missing from this one, and his voice just sounds kinda... I dunno. He doesn't seem to be putting much effort into singing it, almost like he's shy, or he doesn't want to disturb the neighbours or something. It could use another guitar.

10. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

It's a forum. Do we really need to go down the route of explaining who can and can't say what? "I don't know why some of you are complaining" is a valid sentence. If you're on a forum complaining about shit, everyone has a right to know and ask because they're the poor fuckers reading it. Quite frankly I'm getting pissed by some people's constant attitudes, and I think it's rubbing off in the increasing 'intensity' of my own posts.

Now, I don't see anything wrong with the modern City Escape theme. It needed re-doing purely because 'Adventure Sonic' isn't represented in the game, and thus to balance out having a classic-style version, they needed a modern-style version. Ted Poley probably hasn't lost his edge, it sounds like he's trying to sound different for the sake of the track, making it sound rough-edged. Lots of artists release rougher versions of tracks which were recorded without the full-'WHAM' vocals of the first release, making it sound more like an original recording. I don't know why, they just do. An example being this by The Who.

It's a rockin' thing to do. It emits more raw emotion, I suppose.

11. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    I Uploaded a Video and an MP3 cutting the Sega and Intro Jingle away.

MP3 Download

Sadly, the quality isn't too great.

12. I certainly prefer the Classic mix, but this is decent. I have a feeling it'll sound better when actually playing the level.

That said, it DOES sound like it's unfinished, or unmastered.

13. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    What's the deal with the monitor? Look's like a 5 Ring one existed at one point :/

[​IMG]

14. Nova

Nova

Remember, there's still a boost version of this remix to be heard yet and if the Green Hill Zone tracks are anything to go by, we're going to be looking at a much more intense, guitar-heavy track. Considering you're boosting for most of the time as Modern Sonic, you'll probably hear the boost version far more often and thus associate it with the level more.

Also can we please stop trying to split off 'Adventure Sonic' from Modern Sonic? Seriously, the art direction changed a little in the last decade, that's all - fair enough if you're splitting the franchise into eras, but to say 'Adventure Sonic isn't represented in this game' is ridiculous. You have Speed Highway and City Escape for that, Sonic hasn't really changed his in-game design or appearance at all since Sonic Adventure so I don't know why people feel the need to make them two separate entities.

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I agree. I distinctly remember more intense vocals and guitar in the Gamespot E3 2011 vid, from what I could hear, when Sonic is boosting. I think they toned down the regular speed track instead of giving an already lively song a sugar rush for the boost version.

16. aaronlong

aaronlong

cartoon guy Member
    Toronto, Canada
    Mostly non-Sonic-related, but I make cartoons.
    I think when people complain about the lack of Adventure Sonic they're talking gameplay-wise, which makes sense because there are huge differences in the way the Dreamcast games and the Unleashed-style games play.

If they're just talking cosmetically, then yeah that's a bit silly given that the model changes are extremely minor over the past decade. That's like complaining about a lack of different Sonics for each Genesis game. Sure he looked a tiny bit different between Sonic 1, 2 and 3, but not enough to make a big deal out of. Similarly, Sonic doesn't really look that different now from how he did in SA2. You could make the argument for SA1, maybe, but that's more of a transitional phase rather than a distinctly separate look.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'm assuming that's aimed at me? I'll be happy to explain.

There are three distinct eras of Sonic;

'Classic Sonic' (Sonic The Hedgehog to Sonic R).

'Adventure Sonic' or 'Dreamcast Sonic', both of which don't really give an accurate depiction of what 'that' Sonic is (Sonic Adventure to Shadow The Hedgehog, also including the Game Boy Advance games).

Then we have 'Modern Sonic', which is of course the current games like Riders, Storybooks, Rush and Rivals, 2006, Unleashed and Colours, when the style and look of the games changed drastically from the Adventure titles,- which were generally more surreal, cartoony and focused more on the Chaos Emeralds, fighting and action, Shadow and the GUN army arc. Modern Sonic has become much more light hearted.

'Modern' Sonic really started with the end of Shadow The Hedgehog and the release of Sonic Rush. The style of these games is generally more linear, speedy, often boost-related and seem to focus more on Sonic alone as a playable character. They've generally aimed to simplify the Sonic franchise, which was starting to lose focus, hiding characters like Rouge and Shadow from the 'main' series after Sonic 2006, which was a total mess up by all accounts. It also disposed of the on-going storyline of constant military interaction, lessening the messages and themes of war, and focusing more on pure adventure with Unleashed and Colours. It's very difficult to tell where 'modern' Sonic begins, as the games slowly morphed into what you see and play today.

No matter what you say now though, Sonic looked very different with the release of 2006 than with the previous games, and his style has become more defined and enhanced since. He's become a high quality CGI character, comparing this to Heroes and the cartoony Adventure art, and you can tell the difference instantly. He's lost a lot of his roundness and become more detailed.

To put it simply, you may as well define the three 'styles' by their storylines and placement, as the styles and gameplay have developed alongside that. You have Sonic 1 to Sonic R, which basically detail the Death Egg saga and Sonic's earlier years (this gameplay style is very basic), then Adventure to Shadow The Hedgehog, where things get quite in-depth and risky (this gameplay style is more varied and uses distinct styles, and introduces guns and lock-on), and then it all begins to wind down after Sonic 2006 back to being happy and suitable for 3+ (and this style is again more basic, with emphasis on platforming, jumping, acrobatics etc.), like Sonic should undoubtedly should be, no matter how much I love Adventure 2.

18. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I'm torn on the Modern City Escape mix. On the one hand, I think I like what they're trying to do with it, but as said it sounds more like a rehearsal than a final track. I'm hoping it is a work in progress, much like that placeholder version of Sonic Heroes where Jun seems to forget the lyrics in the middle of the song.

19. Flare

Flare

Agree with above. He does seem to stumble on 'Take my lead' to the point where all I could hear was 'Set my lead'.

20. Bostwick

Bostwick

Am I the only one who isn't bothered by the slightest by the new City Escape rendition?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.