don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    Classic remix is definitely superior. Sounds like Ted Poley's voice isn't quite what it used to be.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Yeah, it really sounds like he's struggling throughout the song and cant quite hold notes. Not to mention the backing music isn't too great either. It sounds messy. The Classic version is fantastic though.

3. Tyty

Tyty

KNUXEDO KAMEN Member
    ↑ & ↓ & ↻
    I definitely appreciate their attempt, but the original sounded stronger due to two guitars instead of one, and the stronger bass (Wonder why it was toned down...)

And yeah, their voices aren't what they were 10 years ago :P

I'm sure it will grow on us though. People weren't happy with modern green hill zone to start either.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire

lol, sonic Oldbie
    New Jersey
    aint got shit.
    The classic remix is far and away the better of the two in this instance, hands down.

5. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Both sound absolute shit to me. Singing in Sonic games is wrong as fuck imo.

6. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Fair enough, but in literally the rarest of instances outside of Secret Rings, it just goes with the stage. Doesn't need to, but it does.

Definitely sounds weaker than the original, but I still appreciate they differentiated it from the original. It counts for something. And yeah, the Classic remix is actually way catchier, and even moreso for the Endless Mine injection of awesome.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm not adamantly opposed to singing in Sonic songs, for instance, Shadow's soundtracks had vocals, but they were so muffled by effects that they pretty much became part of the music themselves; and the end result sounded pretty dang cool, my personal fave being Support Me.

Speaking of which, they had better bring in Shadow's original theme from SA2 when they introduce him, it was leagues better than that "All Hail Shadow" pop-rock meh-ness.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It certainly lacks something... I wasn't a big fan of the original, but I like it better than this version.

That always translates to "we'll get used to it like when being exposed to a stinky smell for a while".

I really don't remember this.

9. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Mine too, but it's one of a small set of exceptions to the rule that most, if not all of these songs with expository lyrics injected into them are awkward if not utterly terrible to listen to, whether you're playing or watching a dull cutscene. It was acceptable in the 90s, but not so much now. I'd rather they just focus on badass music than badass Saturday morning intro exposition.

10. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    Agreed! I think this song has elements of Sonic 3's end Boss Theme song, but faster.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Jun opted for TIAA instead of AHS in Black Knight, so I'd expect him to do it again now.

12. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I'm surprised it's so sparse.

On the other hand there was a big difference between the final version of Ocean Palace's music and the versions from the (Sonic Heroes) prototypes, so maybe there are guitar overdubs yet to be added.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Amen. Well, they could at least have done rid of the singing in the classic version.

14. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    What happened? They had a perfectally awsome version of the City Escape theme already made, I like the remix for classic, but there was no need whatsoever to make a 'new' version for the modern gameplay. They are (have) wasting time and budget on something that dosn't need doing =/

15. There was always going to be a Modern version. For fuck sakes guys can we stop picking out everything and pushing it into a corner?

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I like it. Fits the modern aesthetic quite well. It's more jumpy and upbeat, and less rocky than the original (which I also like, mind you).

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    So I'm the only one with ears? The song isn't going to be worth much no matter what you do to it, but this one is a definite improvement over the original for me. Sounds like they've got a bit of Metal Harbor in there.

Classic remix is totally shitty besides the Endless Mine bit.

18. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    They made some unusual choices when it came to the guitar melody. Not sure if I'm just used to hearing the original for the last nearly 10 years or if it really isn't as good. I think what I don't like about it is the choppiness of the guitars. Two chords, stop, two chords, stop, two chords, stop, two chords, stop. I'd much prefer them go fast and rocky like the original, but that's my personal opinion. It would have also been cool to have heard a kind of sca remix like Green Hill, as I think all of Sonic's level songs from SA2 are perfectly tailored for sca, with the exception of Metal Harbor because that's already of that style :)

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Grandad, is that you?

But seriously, sounds like an old man loosing his voice.

20. PARASOL

PARASOL

I actually think they should perhaps use the early version of Escape from the city found in the SA2 Trial. The lack of lyrics in that version sounds so much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.