don't click here

Sonic 3 Oddities, Strange Unexplained Things

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonicGenesis89, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    I didn't read this thread in its entirety (tl;dr) but I wanted to make sure of one thing
    That's odd. The one on the left definitely is a pirate, but the one on the right looks like the real Asian Sonic 3... except the cart uses a US cart shell, not a Japanese cart shell (which all official Asian releases use). I thought most pirates cropped out the MD logo from the inside of the bigger Mega Drive logo?

...on second look, do both cases have the small MD logo inside the Mega Drive logo at the top?

But yeah like Black Squirrel said dump dump dump =P

2. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning

Woah woah woah... Wait a second, so I'm not the only one to have played that version of Sonic 3 or what ever at Epcot. I remember the cart in the Genesis Kiosk they had was just the PCB with no casing either. They also had tons of other pre-release games taht were being made at the time including a number of Disney games.

3. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Question to SonicGenesis89: Do you remember anything about the Bonus Stage in this copy?

4. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    No sorry, for both the Block Buster rented Credits oddity cart and my friends Tails segment cart I really can't remember if the Bonus Stages were any different or functioned any differently. When I did play both games though, they were like carbon copies of the regular game, I couldn't physically see any differences with them and the final. Someone mentioned their pirated cart couldn't save data but both the carts I played could.

My friends game saved like normal, the Ice Cap Zone we selected via the file select menu and I was able to see Credits on his game as well and they were normal. The Block Buster rental I played I accessed the strange Credits via a saved game file in the file selection menu so both carts were capable of saving the games and functioned as normal. I just really can't remember if the Bonus Stages were any different but I know the Zones themselves functioned and looked exactly the same.

5. Delusphere

Delusphere

UK
    tbh, I think there are earlier prototypes than the ones on here. I've seen an odd sprite for Knuckles on an edge too. It happened while I was locked on to Sonic 2 and I remember it getting garbled right after. He was hunched over like he was doing a mid air crap lol. But, yet again, no proof.
    I'm going to look into this more.

6. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    As a sort-of related note, I used to think there were two editions of Sonic and Knuckles: One with lock-on and one without. I'm sure that I saw a pirate version of it, which caused me to think this.

7. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Banned
    Mine didn't have lock-on and I'm pretty sure it was pirated, we didn't know about S3K until SMC came out, even in the newespaper they said
    showing a pic of Knuckles in AIZ.

Anyway while I never seen this game before I thought I'd bring this up here:

When I was young around late 90s, I used to watch a certain British TV show called "Cybernet" about video games to see what's new, I remember around that time there were two games I seen but never heard anything about them ever since, one is Sonic and the other is Yoshi.

The one with Yoshi was fully 3D, if I remember correctly it was on N64, I remember a scene where Yoshi jumps on an item box and breaks it to collect stuff that popped out, now I can't find any news about that game.

The other game is Sonic, sadly I don't know what system it was supposed to be released on since I didn't know English but I remember it was fully 3D and the camera would go around Sonic like in Sonic Adventure while the horizon is foggy like Sonic R.

I Also remember a scene with a boss fight from Sonic 3D Blast, Rusty Ruin Zone Boss only it was from the side not the angle and it was fully 3D, I remember thinking "what's so hard about this boss? you wait for it to descend its hand and jump on it, wait for it to raise its hand and jump on its face" boy how wrong I was, I didn't get to play Sonic 3D Blast on Mega Drive until few years later.

Does anyone know anything about these two games? I'm losing my mind and for many years I been trying to convince myself I was dreaming, but I know what I saw plus an old friend once mentioned that game and I was like "you saw it too?" and he said "yes but I don't know what console it was on" :(

8. Like this one?
    [​IMG]

9. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    How many pirates do you have? o_O No official version of Sonic & Knuckles ever came without lock-on — those without are just pirate copies.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm 99% sure that it was all a dream.

11. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    The Sonic game could have been Sonic Xtreme.

12. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member

My Sonic and Knuckles was also pirate as most of the MD games here in Estonia. Back then I did not know they were pirate. I remember the box had same art as the cart:

[​IMG]

And my box was similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    thanks to Nineko for uploading them for different place.

But mine did not have the title screen pics on the left. I kept wondering how to get into this desert level and thought I had to do some weird tricks to get there (Like going down some kind of pit what is actually a secret place) I was dumb lol. I also thought I have to get into some weird place to activate the Sonic 2 Hidden song, I also tried out every pit to see maybe one of them leads to a secret place.

Ahh so much memories come with the cart. I remember I always pulled out Sonic 2 and then inserted Sonic 3 in it to get glitched Super Tails and other odd crap. That ofcourse ruined my Sonic 3 game.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Loving those Link humping Knuckles pics above.

Or Sonic Mama Cooking with Tails, with such a vague description. =P

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Don't hotlink from Sonic-Cult. People who don't have those pictures cached are seeing Link raping Knuckles.
    Here, I transloaded them for you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Sorry about that. I put them as links.

16. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The Yoshi game could have been Super Smash Bros.
    I hadn't seen that pirate box before, pretty weird use of the dust hill screenshot. Too bad about that 'Sonic 4 Mystery', huh?
    Also lol at the Sonic cult hotlink images, I'd forgotten about those. Flacko, they still link to ohshit.jpeg

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    the sonic one could be sonic jam's sonic world. Or maybe the recently confirmed sonic adventure for sega saturn.

18. Malpass

Malpass

Fell at the Battle of the Wing Fortress, 1992. Member

1:10 onwards.

19. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Off topic a bit yeah,,, Anyone ever see a mine cart in Mystic cave for sonic 2 multi player? :ohdear:

20. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    This is the most 2001 pirate artwork in existence. :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.