don't click here

Sonic 3 Oddities, Strange Unexplained Things

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonicGenesis89, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I remember going to Epcot in 1996 and playing a Sonic game there at a stall. It had Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, and it was different to anything I'd seen previously (I only played Sonic 3 years later in 2003 though I had always had S&K). It was in a bit resembling Angel Island, and it was a small passageway and the foregrund was covered with weeds and bits that you'd run behind. Knuckles ran off and I tried to follow him as Sonic, however I got stuck because there was a wall or a rock there and my 5 year old self didn't know what to do. I spent about a minute on this before my familygrabbed me as they wanted to do something else. In my mind it is as clear as day and I remember it all "perfectly". However, conflicting information on every single website I've ever visited, as wel as the fact that this has never been documented, and came AFTER Sonic 3 was released tells me that my memory was obviously distorted and I'm remembering something which didn't really happen, though I'd love to be proven otherwise.

For all I know, it could have been an early Knuckles Chaotix, I might be a goldmine, but most likely not :v:

2. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Thank you, I know there's going to be people who think I'm just bullshiting them but the point of the thread in the first place was just to see if others experienced it too. Because I'm 100% positive on the Tails thing I was at my friends house it wasn't a dream it was clearly something that happened and a memory because it was the day my friend showed me how to do the damn barrel. I used to play at his house all the time he was a huge Sonic fan just like me and we had plushie's we played with together too. It makes me feel good for you to at least say the Credits thing is familiar and that you might have seen it too. I don't know what the hell it was or how it happened all I know is it happened, I know it wasn't a dream whether its my memory being foggy or not it clearly wasn't a dream lol.

I plan to try and draw / paint these scenarios too to try and help describe what I'm saying, maybe it can help people see what I'm talking about better. I won't forget them though, I believe your story because out of all the Classic Sonic games Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles was the weirdest game. I experienced so many strange oddities, glitches, and strange things in those games alone than any other Sonic game. I think I encountered more weird stuff as a kid while playing than I do now and don't even know how to recreate some of the bugs. My favorite though was a mechanical Angel Island Act 2. I've tried researching both of these things I've seen and have no results at all, nothing so far on the net or Youtube seems to give any hints of the two incidents. I know it makes no difference whether I find the truth or not but it's always bugged me, I want some physical evidence and closure.

I'm starting to think the Credits thing was a pirated cart of some sort even a friend mentioned that to me. I'm bringing it up because it bothers me a lot and I wanted to know if other people seen or experienced these two situations as well. Everyone here has played Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles a thousand times so I was wondering if you guys could give me some answers on this. I know it doesn't add any new information to the table but if others experienced it too it would give me some sense of closure because at times I feel like I'm the only one who saw it and I'm going mad. I've been wanting to ask you guys this for the longest time but was kind of afraid to honestly lol.

I know what I saw and I know the Tails thing was a memory and not a dream since I went to my friend Brandon's house on a daily basis and after playing Sonic 3 that same day we played Mean Bean Machine cause I never played it before and he said it was boring lol. I got a insanely good memory and its a gift and a curse at times. I honestly have no logical explanation for the Credits thing it was just a freak thing....I entered the file's complete clear Zone and saw Credits with sprites instead of the ordinary Credits.

Glad to hear dumping won't do any harm to the game because it's my friends and don't feel like borrowing his game and destroying it in the process. If he still owns it I will definitely take pictures and try recording it as well to show you what I'm talking about. How do you dump something because I've never done any of that before.

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Pirates don't add new stuff into games they pirate though, so it couldn't be a pirate.

At this point I'd not worry about dumping it and focus on finding the cartridge again. Though you'll likely just be getting a regular Sonic 3 =P (and no I don't think you're making it up, but again, it's very likely you're memory is wrong).

4. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    You know how many times I got game overs as Tails in Ice Cap starting with just 3 lives? My friend had to grab the controller and show me how to do it cause it was hard lol. I know that thing is real I believe it with every fiber of my being I've seen it. The Credits thing yeah that can be proven wrong since its not as vivid and I only saw it once but the Tails thing I'm 100% on.

5. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I do believe you, that sounds actually very interesting. I just hope a friend lets you borrow it and he still has the game.

6. I had that's one. It's nothing, but pirated cartridge.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

But it's not exactly that you say. You start in the middle of Sonic's showboard part. Maybe pirates made custom "patch", because you won't die when sliding down the first slope after this scene.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

P.S.: That's cart can't save data, and that's mean you can't watch ending sequence after turning off and on your console.

7. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    That's kind of how it was except you started on the right side of the screen and it was pure ice and not snow, but those icicles and ball obstacles were indeed there. His game saved though, he had the save files like the normal cart. We didn't use level select or anything we did the 1 player game and it was there in the file select menu. I also viewed the normal Credits on his game. It acted like the final regular game just with that Tails segment in it.

EDIT: Thanks so much for posting that though, even though its different from what I experienced its differently on the right track and at least makes me feel like I'm sane and not just imagining things lol. I feel like we're getting 1 step closer and it feels great, I really feel now that the cart with the Credits was probably pirated as well.

8. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Wow interesting, maybe her cart was possibly a pirate. Its not unheard of, its possible a real cart could've been switched with a pirate in exchange for a genuine. It was a common thing to switch carts back then at blockbuster or rental places, by switching the stickers, replacing the rental copy with a broken copy, etc. Happened to my friend who once received a pirate version of Super Mario All Stars from blockbuster waaay back, I remember how bad it was... had the still version of the title screen in odd colors and pressing start booted up a ported NES version of Super Mario Bros. and was mad glitchy and the sound was horrible. Returned it a few days later at blockbuster I think they refunded the money, not sure was a long time ago and I remember he got the genuine copy to play afterwards.

Its also not unheard of for extra content in a pirate. Super Mario Bros, the original, like I mentioned before is probably one of the most pirated games out there. My cousin had a plug'n'play bootleg game console that ran on batteries that had brand new levels as well as original levels of Super Mario Bros. and instead of Mario, it has a cat. lol

9. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    I'm totally willing to believe you, SonicGenesis89.

As everyone said, if you can retrieve the cart and dumping that would be nice. It'd surely help seeing the insides of the data.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Dump it, or send it to someone who can. It shouldn't be damanged in the process, but it is, no worries - a clean dump can allow the world to manufacture as many replacement cartridges as you could possibly need.
    also this one should be dumped too if it hasn't already been

everything should be dumped

preservation 4 lyfe

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Agreed that those strange Sonic 3 cartridges should be dumped (please). Seems strange how some pirates would change that kind of stuff for no apparent reason, so perhaps that was made from a pre release build.

In your case, we do have quite a bunch of Sonic & Knuckles prototypes as proof. =|

12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I think he meant proof that Knuckles reappers on the Big U.

Unless he does do that on the prototypes.

13. As we say on Wikipedia, don't bite the newbies. :) We have no clue what's out there in terms of Sonic 3 betas. We have the Limited Edition ones and thats it. So please. Back off. Be nice. :)

14. Shade

Shade

Those screens from the pirated cart are too uncanny to discount. Looks like we have a good old fashioned mystery on our hands again, gang! Hot damn!

Makes you all warm and fuzzy, doesn't it?

15. TheLoz

TheLoz

UK
    Learning
    It's a veeerrry long shot, but is there any chance that the sprites you are remembering from that mysterious ending sequence are actually from 'Sonic The Screensaver'? (These ones http://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_comput...aver/sheet/6150 - keep in mind they'd be a lot smaller seen on screen). I know it seems unlikely, but I'm just wondering if perhaps you saw this later in life and the memories got tangled?

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    It honestly sounds like a bootleg to me. It's not uncommon considering some of the famous bootlegs we've seen, like the SNES Speedy Gonzalez hack called Sonic The Hedgehog 4.

Although that was a sprite hack, it's definitely not out of the question we're dealing with a similar thing, assuming this isn't just conjecture from warped memories. Although this is less likely, it's also true that something in the cartridge or the system might have caused oddities. I can tell you now while testing out a copy of Mega Man X2 on an SNES I rescued from my old work place, some odd graphical glitches occurred (like the X on the title screen being garbled), then when booting up the game, X had access to every weapon in the game, he had all armor parts and the palettes would continually screw up. X would also be randomly damaged by nothing at all.

Yet when I put the cart into my proper SNES, the game ran perfectly fine.

Just saying to the ones calling B.S. on this: strange things can happen.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    He's describing an extra section of level. Glitches don't make polished, playable areas appear WITHIN levels. It's not like he ran into some misplaced chunks/tiles/what have you; this is something designed.

Was calling bullshit, but with that pirate this is actually plausible... Hope it can be dumped, if it's real.

18. My cartridge was made around 200x-2006. I bought it in 2006. That's obviously just a romhack, not a "beta" or "prototype". Because back in a day there were a lot of hacks on cartridges (like Sonic Megamix) on "pirate's markets"... And I don't think this is exclusion....
    I don't think this is a good idea to send one pirated cartridge around the world to dump it. It's easier to make a recreation of it (just change Tails starting position and add some icicles)

19. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    No not even close they looked nothing like those. It was very Sonic 3 looking from what I can remember but the sprites were custom because I do not recall seeing them in normal gameplay. I didn't see Sonic the Screen Saver till many years later so it wasn't jumbled memories I know what I saw. If anything the sprites were similar to the Special Stage sprites for Sonic 3 but different.

I'm a girl not a guy lol and yeah it is very similar to those pictures of the other pirated cart so perhaps my friend somehow bought a pirated version of Sonic 3 on accident and didn't know it. The portion of the level felt very natural and I always thought it was meant to be there, I first saw Ice Cap at my friends house on that day so when I got to Ice Cap myself on my own games and didn't see it I felt like I missed something. Those pictures that were posted of the pirate actually made me really happy because it at least proves I'm not totally losing my mind and what I saw was real however it was different. Those are the "exact" icicles pointing upwards that I was talking about but they were nicely placed all over the slope so you actually had to jump off the icey slope in some parts in order to not die because there is no rings.

Tails is also in his falling / sliding animation the whole time and starts by falling from the sky. Since there were scenes like that in other levels of Sonic 3 like Hydrocity it didn't seem out of place. I do believe both were pirated games that had some effort put into them with added content rather than a earlier build now more than before. I don't think I'll ever find that strange cart again that had the Credits since it was a Block Buster rented game which has long since been out of business in my town but I'll ask my friend if he still owns his Sonic 3 that had the Tails segment in it and if he still owns it and lets me borrow it I'll gladly send it to you guys to dump it for me. Honestly I'm just happy to see and hear other people have experienced similar things and those two screen shots of Tails has really made me more happy then you can imagine.

Finally a visual even though it is slightly different exists from what I can remember. It really sucks when you remember something that simply doesn't exist anywhere to other people or on the internet. Again thanks for sharing those screen shots it means a lot to me, that's what I was hoping for when making this thread, some answers as to what the heck I saw and where it came from. I wasn't sure if it was a Pre Release and earlier build or a pirate and now I'm really starting to believe it was a pirated version. It's not uncommon back then there was a crap ton of pirated games hell Sonic 2 was a victim of it a lot as well.

20. You need a device called a dumper. Try looking for a Retrode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.