don't click here

Sonic Generations technical oddities & flaws (Unpaid betatesting)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    But then the game would never get finished.

On another note, other than the "fat Sonic feel" I didn't have much issue playing this demo. This might actually turn into a Sonic game I want to play for more than 15 minutes.

2. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    All the better for me. Only thing I use the look-up/duck animations for anyway are expressing exasperation in-game through Sonic himself.

*Sonic falls from platform - "D'OH!"*
    *Sonic looks up at platform - "..."*
    *Sonic pulls his hair out in frustration (ducks) - "GAAAAAAAAAH!!!"*

I don't think looking up has ever really served a practical purpose outside of signifying that you're ready for a Super Peel-Out in CD. Ducking at least lets you avoid damage at times (always do this against Orbinauts in Labyrinth, myself), but I've never used it to actually look down. Mostly just as a visual cue to push the jump button for a Spin Dash.

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps sometimes the player just wants to see what's above or below the screen... That's something even Sonic 4 did right, there's no way they can overlook this for the final version.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Yeah, that camera pan for first time level runs is very useful to scope out any dangers.

5. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    I have to admit, I found it very strange when I tried rolling backwards down the first slope in the game and, rather than Sonic rolling down or just standing still like he may in Sonic 4, he ducked in place and slid down it. Physics are one thing, but it also takes you out of how beautiful Green Hill is when animation oddities like that occur.

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I can't remember a single occasion where doing so helped me in the slightest—although it may also be that the delay between when you look up/down and when the camera pans made me reluctant to both with it.

EDIT: Here's an oddity I forgot to mention last night--

Hot-button spin dashing in a corkscrew produces two results depending on timing. If you try it while at the top or side of a corkscrew, you just tumble out. Try it while there's ground beneath Sonic's feet, and Sonic continues to move at the same speed through the corkscrew while continuing to rev the Spin Dash as if he'd succeeded in stopping in place. You don't see the smoke as usual, but releasing the button triggers the Spin Dash, giving Sonic the expected acceleration burst.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator

Finally played the demo today. After having to burn it to a CD and dealing with painfully slow loading times, I played through the Act around ten times. I agree with Azukara's post one hundred percent, and really are the only issues I have with the game. Seriously, I love this demo so much, it plays very nicely, the act feels like a nice classic level, now if I could just do some decent rolls, get through without scripted events etc., it would be perfect.

Don't think anyone has, but I noticed this too! I thought I saw one after accidentally running into a Badnik, but upon finding an Item Monitor was disappointed that there wasn't one. A completely useless animation (in the event that there isn't anything to push), but notably absent nonetheless.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This game has way too many invisible launcher areas especially on the end of sloped ground, you can abuse this to moon jump in areas too.

Also, seems that you can't jump down a wall with a slope at the bottom and hold down so you roll into a ball as you hit the start of the curve, but you can do the same thing if you jump down and don't roll.

9. Breeze

Breeze

Almost all of my complaints have been addressed, but I've got to reiterate the issues of rolling and variable bounce height. That'd really make playing with Classic even more fun.

Also, did anyone who played the Sonic Boom/E3 demo think the ranking system was too generous? I got an S rank clocking in at around two minutes, with not many coins either.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Rings. =P And it always seems to case with Sonic games that pre-release versions have extremely generous rankings.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I just posted this in the other topic but I'll repeat it here for clarity

Game doesn't run at 60 frames per second.

Yes we're processing more data at once and you might have to make cutbacks in order to maintain a constant frame rate, but... every other Sonic game I've played manages. I don't personally see 30FPS as "HD visuals" when it comes to video games.

But don't mind me, it's just a build up of the 50Hz PAL problem we endured for a couple of decades. Things running slower or less smooth than they should, etc.

12. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I just figure that if there is a PC release, I can enjoy it at whatever FPS my computer will pump out.

13. Retroman

Retroman

Haven't played this game, but here's my impressions:
    2D Sonic
    -Spring Physics, or Sonic being launched: When Sonic runs fast and jumps on the spring, that forward momentum from his speed isn't transferred into the spring. Simply: a) Sonic's speed is fast b) Sonic jumps on Spring c) Spring only makes him jump vertically and that speed gained is lost horizontally (Unlike the Classic Sonic games where this isn't the case).

-Spindash Physics aren't quite good: It should rely solely on the player 'tapping' on the 'x' button to make Sonic spin faster, thus when released he goes quick. Also change the sound to Sonic 2's spin-revving sound.

-Rolling Physics are kinda broken: It doesn't have momentum to make it up a half-pipe.

-Scripted Events are a no-no/need to be improved so that it's less evident and more like the S-tube: They defeat the purpose of Classic Sonic's gameplay, but I think it's fine considering the Hedgehog Engine's limitations.

-Inconsistant Frame-rate: Self-Explanatory, needs to be consistantly 60 FPS

The rest about the game is really good except that I would like a camera toggle option for 'Classic Camera' (In which the camera doesn't zoom out etc) and the reported list of bugs/concerns on this thread and elsewhere.

14. Nova

Nova

I really hope this is a joke and not a serious criticism.

I also do not see the problem with the few scripted events we've seen in Classic Sonic's gameplay - they're few and very far between (maybe one or two per zone). If I'm honest, I'd like them kept in if only to add some sort of theatrical quality to the game. We're in 2011 now, guys.
    Besides which, how do you propose making Sonic run round a spiral without scripting it? Rely on the player to know they hold forward? Even so, is that so different from just automating it? It just means they don't have to mindlessly hold forward for those three seconds of the level but still allows the game to show off the amazing backdrops.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Every ramp is scripted. Try going to the cave section near the end of the level and jumping around the top of the ramps. Sonic will suddenly gain extreme height and a change in direction because they're scripted.

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Every spring, every tunnel, every ramp, every fancy bit - they all steal control from the player in some form. More than is necessary.

17. Retroman

Retroman

How the hell do you think this is a joke? All Spin-revving I've heard in the 'Classic Genesis' games have the spinning charge sound when you mash the 'B' button and it increases when you press it faster., giving the player the feeling that 'Woah, Sonic's gonna go so quick' This isn't the case when Sonic Generations brought back the spinning-charge without the proper charging sound aka Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&Knuckles.

Bloody hell, think before you post.

Also, the scripted events degrades the natural-momentum and beat of Classic Sonic's gameplay in the 2D department (All those things where Sonic goes around 2D cork-screws for the looks are alright). Did the Genesis games rely on scripted events for the game to be good? NO! And even if it was, it wasn't screwing up the gameplay and, instead 'adds' to the game (Example: Cutscenes and other major/minor stuff)

I really wish the demo feedback is read and understand by SEGA and Sonic Team to polish up their games, iron-out any bugs and smoothen out the overall gameplay that they (and us) expect from this game.

tl;dr: It looks good Sega and Sonic Team, I'm proud as a fan that you decided to add Classic Sonic and surprise us with alot of stuff we never expected (City Escape Classic, Skateboard, Music etc etc) but you need to implement those feedback to make the game as best as it can be!

18. Nova

Nova

Practice before you preach (and before you take a very high-and-mighty attitude), bucko. You're making a big deal over a sound effect. If you're expecting Sega to make this game 100% perfect and to yours and every other Sonic fan's expectations, let me just save you some trouble - don't buy the fucking game. You'll be disappointed.

Thanks for proving exactly how anal some fans can be, by the way.

I'm man enough to admit I could be wrong about the scripted events, though I still say complete and total removal is extremely hasty (why let those lush backdrops go to waste?). It's a valid complaint about the gameplay style so I can respect the position of people on the other side of the argument. A fucking spin dash sound, though. Jesus goddamn Christ.

19. Retroman

Retroman

And I understand that if there is valid reasons why this game isn't totally 100% of fan-expectations due to Sega's little release time or technical difficulties or time-restraints but hey, at-least I'm being honest here. This is a huge project and I bet the people at Sonic Team are pretty exhausted, but maybe the PC game or the other ones can be updateable in the future.

I'm not being all high and mighty, but disregarding my expectations at-least the technical oddities & flaws here are valid.

Scripted events are too much when they interfer with the play-style and cause the player to hit some ends which frustrates the player, especially when they try to make the Classic Sonic gameplay live up to it's name.

I will get this game regardlessly, thank you very much. Whatever, I am anal and I don't care...

20. Nova

Nova

It's not going to be because of technical difficulties or time restraints. It's going to be because the five 2D games fans remember are all over fifteen years old.

You told me to pre-meditate my posts because I disagree with your opinion - that's pretty high and mighty, right there.

I already told you that I agree with this to an extent and that I was man enough to admit I was wrong - what more do you want? Blood?