don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If this was the case, making an upside-down monitor that worked like in Castle of Illusion's second level would be beyond amazing.

2. Cinossu

Cinossu

Administrator
    London, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog Extended Edition
    That was my original idea, all those months ago. :P

3. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    I've got a Sonic R texture hack I've been working on for a couple days now. I replaced the resort island textures with emerald coast textures from SADX PC. I also just for fun changed sonic to ashura and knuckles to wechnia. But I'm having one little problem, I cant seem to find the texture file for the grass on the side of the starting point. I want to change that as well but I'm not finding it in the island directory or the general.
    Anyway here's the video of it so far

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Well I finally decided to add a continuous jump to Sonic 2 GG. :v: This version definitely needs it, since it's fucking difficult as hell. x.X Same concept, keep tapping 1/2 and Sonic keeps jumping. Here's the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?a8oarth916aj5i6

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Ladies and Gentlemen, are you tired of Sonic 1 always being slower in 50hz mode? Do you wish it could be a little faster when playing on European machines? would you love to punch every guy in the face who says 60hz machines are bettererer because they are fastererer??

Well then, look no further! For only 1 download, you'll recieve a new Sonic 1 rom, and none of that 50hz too slow crap, GET IT TODAY!!

http://mrjester.hapisan.com/s1built.bin

Instructions on use:

Please ensure the machine or emulator is set to European mode before starting the rom, or the fix won't work and it'll continue to play as it's old slow self.

6. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Man, haha. This is freakin' awesome in the same way it's a lot funny. Dude... You only must be a romhacking monster! There's Sonic much faster than he normally is. It's a VERY COOL stuff, man!

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Chip McCallahan in Sonic the Hedgehog. You have to have played the Windows version of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip's_Challenge" target="_blank">Chip's Challenge</a> to fully appreciate it.
    + - You can get every death message from Chip's Challenge except the bomb one with level select.  

Edit: video

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Words fail me, dude. As someone who played a ton of that game, that's frigging hilarious =P

9. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The only thing I can say about it is: bummer.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I have to admit that it's hilarious.

Ironically, some time ago I was tempted to convert Chip's Challenge midi files to smps, eventually not doing so because they are quite poor (like, 3 or 4 channels). If you'd like to implement either of them in your hack, though, let me know and I can convert them for you.

edit: :U

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'm not sure where they would go, unless I replace all level music with those two songs alternating. I'd like to have ditty1 for the level clear music and the other SFX, but they'd all have to be made from scratch (afaik).

12. Hilarious! I played Chip's Challenge as a kid, so this was quite amusing!

I would recommend adding the Power-ups from the game (Like the Flippers and the Fire Boots) and use the music like Nineko said if you ever wanted to expand upon this further.

As it is though its awesome!

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If I put flippers in, I'd have to implement swimming of some sort. And given that you can't even pass the first Moto Bug without level select or debug, I think it's just too much work.

14. High-Jump Monitor? :P

15. Good lord, I played that game all the time when my family first got Windows 95. I have to play this.

16. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    Wow, that hack summarizes like 50% of my childhood.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Alternate ROM with GHZ music replaced.

Also, please stop downloading from the quoted copies of my original post, get it from the wiki page instead.

18. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I found a very small bug in Sonic Labyrinth just now. There's only one song that plays in Stereo, sound number $08 while the rest don't. But I fixed that very small bug. It's just something that bothers me, I really love the music in this game, and I wanted to hear my favorite song "correctly". See, the programmers intentionally wanted each song to play in stereo, but set an incorrect flag to do so. I just fixed their mistake. Here's the ROM: http://www.mediafire.com/?fobhmfxh1vgh814

19. This hack is truly random... What happens when you collect more than 999 rings in a special stage and what happens if you place the wrong objects at the wrong places?
    S2builtagain.bin

20. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's the first special stage edit I've ever seen on a Sonic 2 hack, I'll give you that =$