don't click here

Presenting: GHZ Adventure

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overlord, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nov 30, 2010 - #retro:
    I did think about this a few times over the next week or so, before sitting down just before Christmas and drawing out a room plan over Green Hill Zone Act 1 (that I brought with me, along with some room mapping data, to the Xmas Barcade that month). Not a lot happened after that for a couple of months, until just under 2 weeks ago when I sat down and finally started coding Python. 1 night in a hotel room during an overnight stay at work got the room descriptions done, and the rest of my free time outside of work for the last 2 weeks has gone into this - my first (and likely last) fangame:

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG IN: GREEN HILL ZONE ADVENTURE

Yes, it is the entirety of Green Hill Zone Act 1 - as a text adventure game. It's somewhat of a joke game, hence the time of release, but I assure you it's 100% genuine. =P A couple of (in-development! teh baeaeaeaeata!) screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Your task is quite simple - get Sonic to the end of the level and get the highest possible score. Collect rings, break open itemboxes, defeat badniks, fly into a massive pile of rings - it's all here, with a few tiny alterations to make it workable as a text adventure game. OK, you're sold? Well, here's where to get it:

* If you're on Windows and don't have Python installed, you'll want this one: http://overlord.digibase.ca/ghza-100-exe.rar - download the RAR, extract the contents, and run the ghza.exe. Don't extract the zip that's inside the RAR - this will stop the interpreter working. It runs on Windows 7 with no issues I could see on the machine I tried it on - however if you're on an earlier OS you may need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) - there's a link on this page to the SP1 version, don't get that one. It contains the wrong version of MSVCR90.dll for this. I wouldn't bother with this unless you see a MSVCR90.dll error, though.

* If you're on Windows and DO have Python installed, are running Linux, or are a Macfag, you will want/need this one: http://overlord.digibase.ca/ghza-100.rar - download, extract all, run ui.pyw. It's built against Python 2.6, also note you will need wxPython installed.

OK, that's it! Enjoy, and let me know what you think. Bugs & comments welcome! =P

2. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    This... This is the greatest thing I've ever witnessed. Well, out of this community at least. I was fully expecting a massive trollish joke. I may not have gotten to it yet, but I must say I'm surprised at how genuine this seems.

Overlord wins a gold star.

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I just beat the first level with over 50 rings and there was no Special Stage. I am disappoint.

4. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    You are in a field of twisty grassed hills, all alike.

> KILL EGGMAN

With what? Your bare hands?

> YES

Congratulations! You have just vanquished Eggman with your bare hands! (Unbelievable, isn't it?)

5. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    That was entertaining actually. Finished with these details:
    =P

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    While I find this amusing, note I don't use "Eggman" anywhere in the game. =P

7. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    >Go to the end of the level
    "Please use one or two words only"
    Oh, so you want two words? Ok, I'll give you two words, >FUCK YOU
    "Don't know how to "FUCK" something"
    *facepalm*[/AVGN]

Had to :v:

8. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    MORE! I DEMAND MOAR! :v:

This was a very interresting way to play Sonic. I can imagine Labyrinth Zone being like this. Having to carefully choose what to get, or else you'll drown.

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

You wander onto a slope, lined with 10 RINGS. A large collection of flowers dance in the wind, either side of a totem pole. A platform moves up and down. Exits are UP, LEFT or RIGHT.

> run up

This isn't Sonic 4!

:v:

10. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    >walk up

This isn't Sonic 06!

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I was wondering how long it'd be before SOME of the Easter Eggs started being posted. =P

12. ArcticLeopard

ArcticLeopard

Texas
    Sonic 1 Misadventure
    > shadow

MARIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

13. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

> spin up

This level has gravity!

I had as much fun finding these just as I did pigging around the level. I think I've come across the most obscure one though @.

14. JDAdams

JDAdams

EDIT: Disregard, failed to notice there is a box for typing in rather than just mashing Enter to start, herp derp!

EDIT2: Removed "eggman" result as it pales in comparison to some others :ssh:

15. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    since it was already bumped:

Score: 2000
    Time Bonus: 4000 (1:23)
    Ring Bonus: 4400 (44 rings)

Final Score: 10400

I did terribad

16. Sith

Sith

The molotov bitch Member
    Lol nostalgia. This reminds me so much of those old C64 text adventures. There were plenty.
    Nice initiative.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    I'm actually considering a bugfix release for SAGE whenever that is with a few misc things touched up, now the topic's momentarily active. =P Probably won't have anything major though (there's no way I'm doing an entire new act, for example).

18. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    Is there a point to "spin <left, right>", by the way? I attempted that such that I would spin through a Motobug in my way, killing it, but I might as well have written "walk right", since I still got hurt. :\

For that matter, if I walk into an enemy while invincible, I can't progress - I don't get hurt (I mean, invincibility), but a Motobug on the ground is apparently a phenomenal force of nature that can only be circumvented with "attack Motobug".

19. You enter Mystic Cave Zone. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

I hate myself for missing this first time round. Just about to start playing.

20. gold lightning

gold lightning

Since this thread is active again I guess I should say that I'd like this to be continued. I had a surprisingly good time playing this. + - The physics were absolutely amazing.