don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for SNES

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Shoemanbundy, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    So if anyone might remember, some time ago I found and posted here that the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog 4 hack on SNES, was done by a Peruvian hacking group called Twin Eagles Group. If you saw their website, you might have also noticed that among lots of other hacks they have done in their past, they had a Sonic the Hedgehog 2 listed.

I finally got into contact with Mr. Byte, the former leader of the group, and found out that he lost the ROM file for the game, which turned out to be a hack of Sparkster. But luckily, he still had the VRAM file from the original artist, so I've spent the past few hours and just finished hacking the sprites into a Sparkster ROM, so now we can all see what they originally had in mind :D

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

ROM link here

Apparently the game was also distributed on cartridge like Sonic 4, but I guess it must have been more sparse since it's clearly not getting re-pirated over and over like that one. I hope to come across it someday since Mr Byte himself can't even recall if there was anything else done like a new title screen or other sprite hacks. And going by their other work, there must have been a title screen at the least.

Well, enjoy it, it's pretty amusing playing as Sonic with a rocket pack.

Edit: Sorry if this shoulda gone in the rom hacking section, just thought given its history it might fit more in general discussion.

Edit2: Also, there may be some palette issues and other problems. Can't say if I did a perfect job or not.

2. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Be nice if we could get some screenshots or some video?...

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Put pics up. I was so tired of spending so long working on it I forgot the common ettiquite of putting up pics of things.

On that note, I think I accidently put the palette in wrong. I'll try to fix it, but it's nothing too noticeable. Even with it corrected a lot of colors will still appear wrong with explosions and such.

4. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    hehe.

It's kinda like playing a 2D version of Sonic & the Black Knight.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Except with a jetpack, which makes it awesome. =3

6. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    That is really cool. For anyone who has downloaded the ROM, are there any other differences between this and Sparkster? Seeing Sonic fight Axel Gear would be so cool.

7. dsrb

dsrb

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Looks really cool, definitely will have to try this one out!

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Yeah, there's nothing more than Sparksters sprites being replaced. And they never even finished replacing everything, like in the 6th level there's a Twinbee-type flying part where they didn't replace his sprites. Probably because those sprites don't appear uncompressed inside the ROM. I wish I could add more stuff like a titlescreen but my skills don't go beyond something like this :x

10. Steven M

Steven M

I think it's a good starting point for brainstorming, testing ideas for new Sonic moves on paper and in-game. The idea of a mid-air spindash seems perverse but worth investigating, as well as a dedicated spindash button (if the new videos of Sonic Generations gameplay are any indication) and testing the idea of 8-way spinattacking.

Edit: maybe a mid-air spindash option would be some sparse justification for uncurling? I wish I had a non-pirate copy of MM2 didn't suck ass at fangame programming so I could test these ideas out in the 360 or Sonic Worlds engines.

11. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    I think I've played this or soemthing similar years ago on the PC of an old friend's older brother. Was kinda fun XD

12. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy

Tech Member
    Doom 32X
    Kinda interesting... they stuck Sonic into what looks like a ninja/samurai game. :)

Playing it on my FC-16 Go via SNES Myth flash cart.

13. MrCoconuts

MrCoconuts

Mercilessly tortured by Robotnik Member
    Mobius
    waiting for approval
    Interesting crossover. Sparkster always reminded me of Sonic for some reason. As a kid, I actually thought he was Sonic.