don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    That looks more like a storm than a summer breeze. Those trees look more like they belong in a barren winter field so comparing them to palm trees is a bit off. Also, none of us can say it looks weird or looks bad before actually seeing it in game.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    We've seen it in the real in-game footage from the teaser and then in clean animated PNG form. What more do you want?

3. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Well that looks like a heavy constant wind as to where a more tropical area would have on and off breezes from different directions.

*shrugs* I don't know I just think the palm tree animations look perfect. Agree to disagree I suppose.

4. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

How do you guys not fucking get it. Look at the way the tree moves. It's a saiyan warrior.

[​IMG]

5. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    So you're basing your opinion on a teaser? Personally I will wait until there is a playable demo before I decide if it looks weird or not.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    A teaser with real in-game footage and a clean animated PNG of how it will look in the final version.

Yes.

7. zemulii

zemulii

I seriously wish you were on the art team. Even your little sketches are beautiful.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Dat tree.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Holy crap, Ross. Your art style has significantly improved in the last 11 months.

10. Retroman

Retroman

What does it say about its leaf level?
    It's OVER 9000! *BOOM*

Anyways, one critic about the tree is that the trunk looks ridiculous. When some people want to stay as faithful to the originals, it doesn't look good and it makes it look very synthetic and not realistic. A palm tree should look like a palm tree.

But don't worry, hopefully when an alpha is released and S2HD becomes open-source (really not gonna happen I know) then people can do whatever they want (Obviously we will have noobs recoloring Sonic and whatnot)

Enough debating about a useless thing though, I mean you guys have lives so I just say to keep it up and worry about those tiny details later! :thumbsup:

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    You missed the point of Sonic 2. Like, entirely.

Dancing leaves aside (which aren't really a big deal, just a bit exaggerated), the one thing I'm missing from the original palmtree is that it was very apparent that the leaves let you see through them.

It would be really cool if you guys could tweak their opacity for that effect.

12. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    If the time ever comes you need to contact this guy about lending his music for Chemical Plant.

13. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Blake Robinson has already contributed to this project a fair bit and I think most of the music, at least for the alpha, is done for now.

14. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    All of the palm trees should look like this whenever someone goes Super.

15. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

16. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    So, how goes the project?

17. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Most of the work done recently has actually been on the sound engine. After running tests on the main sound driver for the last month, it's finally ready to be integrated into the game engine, there's just a few tweaks that Saxman is working before that happens. Until we're ready to put a playable build into everyone's hands, there won't likely be anything that turns heads in the way of updates. We'll probably do one more changelog soon since there's a couple pieces of very iconic Sonic 2 art we've redone that our team is very proud of.

18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Besides sound, I'm curious what else needs to be done. What are these "few tweaks" and what's left before a playable demo is ready? Considering how the release date for the demo was Q1 and the end of Q2 is approaching, I really hope we get a demo before Q3 ends. >_>

19. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    And if you look back into Q1, you'll see a post I made saying that we were pushing the release back for when we can post a download link to the game within 24 hours of a post here announcing that it's ready. That hasn't changed.

The tweaks in the sound engine are related to making sure the tempo and pitch alterations work properly.

20. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Don't rush 'em. The pursuit of perfection takes time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.