don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So they'll be swinging around the whole time?

Doesn't sound so "perfect" to me. =\

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I don't think it'd be easy to make the animation stop and start because of the way the animation works. The way it works means that while some leaves are ending their sway, others are halfway through, so there is no 'rest' state possible to find.

Admittedly another frame could be made, but I don't think that'd look so good.

3. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I don't see how difficult it would be to create a few seconds 'pause' inbetween the first rustling of the leaves and the second - it'd just be a matter of timing wouldn't it?

4. zemulii

zemulii

Fair enough, but once it's surrounded by the moving flowers, sparkling sea etc. I don't think it will stand out so much. You have to remember, the rest of that image is dimmed and still, and that's not how it's going to look in game. Seriously. Watch the tralier again and tell me it moves around too much. It's only on screen for a couple of seconds at a time. Having it pause for a few seconds at a time would be silly... I had to have another look at the image because I couldn't for the life of me see why everyone cared. I still can't. It's just jiggling around a bit. Maybe slightly too fast. That's about all I could see. Fixing that would most likely mean adding more frames (or dealing with a choppy animation), and at this point I don't think it's worth the bother.

5. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    They care when it starts ass-raping their system because someone had to see trees wobble. :colbert:

Seriously, is this busyness going to completely fuck an average machine?

6. zemulii

zemulii

Heh, eh I doubt it. It's just an animation :S. Unless by average machine you mean a dinosaur.

7. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I'm certain Canned Karma and the gang have the animation thing worked out. What I'm more interested in are the other animations, Hill Top, and the Alpha altogether. So, what's happening, Forum? It's been a while.

And on a side note, I just learned that all my original S3&K gamesaves disappeared. :flunked:

8. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So, how's the project going? I mean, is it at all still? It echoes in this cavernous and empty forum.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I think no staff activity (here) is a good thing, (probably) means there is a lot going on internally.

Then again, I want to find out more about those animated reflections :v: .

10. NAC

NAC

Operation Neptune 2011
    ...waiting....
    not to be mistaken for nagging, I really hope that the project's doing well, even if it's behind the scenes; the now it's a little late of the estimated Q1 release interval.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Delays caused by real life were the reason we pushed back any release timeframe in the first place, and that much has not changed. I won't be posting anything related to a release until we're 100% certain that a download link will be following shortly thereafter.

All the work being done is programming right now. It's not glamorous and it doesn't lend itself to visual updates for obvious reasons.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Hey, sounds good to me. There's also thrill in seeing nothing beforehand and getting it all revealed when you play.

It's also good to hear that the release is being pushed back further to make way for more programming, it's quite reassuring to know that the quality will be more polished.

+ - And I just got a gaming PC with a 1080p monitor, so, yeah![/ brag]  

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Well my expected time of arrival for the alpha is the end of this year anyway. I just hope the artists continue working on the other art while the main programming is being done.

14. zemulii

zemulii

Do you still have that extra programmer?

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Hang on, how does the programming effect the people who make the change-logs, out of curiosity?

16. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Yep, he's still here.

17. Vangar

Vangar

Haven't put my 2 cents in here for a long time. Just had a look at the tree animation, and although obviously there has been quality effort put into it, the leaves look like they are moving for the sake of moving. Like the animation wasnt planned and they are all swaying in different directions or 'jiggling' as people have said.

Wind usually pushes for the most part, the leaves all in one direction and then as the wind dies down, there is a bit of bounce back. If it was re-animated to sway in one direction then subtle bounce back to solid, it would look perfect. Attach this idea to ICEKnight's chain of trees swaying style, that would work too.

Anyways, back to other forums.

18. zemulii

zemulii

Ahhh, excellent ;).

19. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I don't think that would be natural looking at all. Leaves on real trees don't all sway forward at the same time and then move back again in unison. If wind is coming from one specific direction it will affect that side of the tree a lot more, causing the leaves to sway in a non-uniform fashion. Also, palm trees have a bunch of smaller leaves attached to one long stem and actually do give that "jiggle" effect in real life. not as pronounced as in the animation, of course - but this is a video game. Real life is bad enough - I want an escape ;)

20. Vangar

Vangar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.