don't click here

Sonic Extreme

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SegaLoco, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    They're comparing this to Pro Skater, not Riders.

2. TeriosLP

TeriosLP

United States
    Let's Play Sonic 4 Episode 1/Sonic Colors
    Oops misread some posts. I know about the Pro Skater part, but I misread a part thinking they were comparing it to Riders. :P

3. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    Ironically and coicidentally, I had a feeling that there would be some big news on Sonic Retro today, guess I was right :)! This looks like this would have been a fun THPS clone, too bad it never saw completion. Although, I agree with the others, this cancelled game probably led to Sonic Riders. We won't know for sure though, until the tech members dig in the game dump. Great find people!

I find it somewhat odd that Sega would call it "Sonic Extreme" (with an "E"), with the cancelled Saturn game Sonic Xtreme (no "e"). Since this was a demo, I wonder if this was just the "codename" for the game? Guess we won't know until the tech members dig in the game dump (that we hopefully will get, behave people!) and check the header... This find kind of reminds me of when Sonic Crackers was found, minus the obscurity.

4. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Not as exciting as other Sonic protos, but interesting nonetheless. I can see why Sega never greenlighted this thing though, Sonic's already got enough gimmick games now.

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Considering the way Sonic Team operated at the time someone must have died to get them to actually cancel a game that reached playability, especially considering that Sonic Team usually used the Gamecube as the lead platform back then. That, or someone pointed out that Sonic doesn't need a skateboard to do any of those things.

Some specific things that we would be able to tell from a dump of this: When this was made, whether it was using technology from an other game (due to model formates or whatnot), and I think that model might be unique to this whatever it is.

The in game loading has me thinking that this is based off the Adventure 2 technology. The Sonic Team of the day usually just dumped you to a loading screen for this sort of stuff, unless Shadow secretly had some sort of really tricky data streaming going on that they never told anyone about.

6. ProtonX

ProtonX

I just recently aquired the xbox. I know very little about its history, but from what I have been told it has been sitting in storage since sometime in 2003.

Here is a link to the latest video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QOsxMguZkU

7. Wow, this find came out of no where. Thanks for sharing these vids!

8. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    This is all kinds of awesome. Thanks.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Thats alot of boost pads. :p

10. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Two new videos pop up:

11. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    Alright, these two videos have me convinced. It looks like if this game could have been good if it got ever finished, even if it is just a Tony Hawk clone. Maybe not as good as Riders, though. 2003 means around the time Heroes was being developed (or almost finished) which would explain the Seaside Hill textures. This is probably the coolest prototype I've seen in a while. Thanks for the videos, ProtonX. :)

12. Gardow

Gardow

This all does look really cool. :)

Anyone else notice how Shadow uses Sonic's soundclips?

13. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Thanks for making a video with a capture card!

14. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    If you don't mind , can you take a picture of the title screen with the capture card for the wiki. Thanks.

15. TeriosLP

TeriosLP

United States
    Let's Play Sonic 4 Episode 1/Sonic Colors
    Your post just made me think, could this have been an extra mode in Sonic Heroes?

16. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Hm. I kinda like that Sonic model personally, for it's time that is. Kinda surprised by "Escape from the City," but then, this seems to just be a dicking around demo -- but then, this doesn't exactly explain the very, very classic-y look of the Chaos Emerald when they coulda used a stock Adventure model for thoseā€¦

17. infinity

infinity

Thanks for the footage ProtonX it's pretty interesting. Wasn't anything else cool sega-related on the old xbox was there? Surprising this was sitting on it unless it was from Japan in the first place.

The whole combat aspect to it as well seems a bit weird.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    To add to this above post ProtonX I'm not sure if you saw this at the topic over at assembler games but you can take screenshots:

Nah I don't think so. The extra and 2P modes in heroes always involved teamwork between the 3 characters this on the other hand looks like it would've just been solo.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    One thing I found interesting about that last video was the Chaos Emerald looking very Sonic 1 - 3ish. Haven't seen that shape used for the Emeralds in a long time.

20. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Holy shit, it really is Sonic Hawk's Pro Skater.

I would have eaten this shit up had it been released. And Pumpkin Hill background music just makes this perfect, somehow. :v:

Thanks for sharing this, dude. Makes me wonder how many more games like this are lying around waiting to be dumped...