don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PimpUigi

PimpUigi

------- Route Magician ------- Sonic CD Technician Member
    Yeah, neither do I. Tails in Sonic Adventure 2 was the start of a fail trend.
    Tails was the most OP character in SA1, so they nerfed him - they made him a cripple.
    It was almost as bad in Sonic '06, he can't jump on enemies, he has to throw exploding ring boxes at them. It was full of fail.

Just bring in Tails as a Sonic clone, let him have boosting and homing attack...and Knuckles doesn't need to be playable at all.
    Tails in Sonic 2 and 3 was cool, he was essentially a Sonic clone.

Knuckles is far too different to bother with (and tbh not as universally welcome).
    Worse jump, gliding, climbing, smashing, sigh...

2. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

Reading and understanding the whole post would've worked too, you know. :v:

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    How to have Tails and Knuckles with boosting abilities homing attack.

Step 1) Give them the same homing attack ability but give them their own quirks or some bullshit. Tails waggles his tails or some bullshit. Knuckles could skull bash or glide missile punch them.

Optional Step) Make Knuckles bust mad rhymes after punching shit.

Step 2) You're done.

I could go on, but really it's not that difficult. This is basically the same logic that they had in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Same character, just minor differences in either appearance or execution.

And I'm sick of Tails being the tech wizard in the game. His natural abilities are already interesting enough and you can easily expand on those instead of using his "I CAN BUILD ANYTHING" crap they started shoving down our throats since Adventure.

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Tails and Knuckles should have the same attributes as Sonic with their own trademark perks.

I wouldn't object to Tails and Knuckles boosting if it means I can fly around and climb levels again.

SORT OF ON TOPIC: I demand to hear this fantastic song remixed for the credits.

5. corneliab

corneliab

You know, it'd be really fucking awesome to see a Secret Rings stage done up all Unleashed-style for this game. Night Palace, Levitated Ruin, Pirate Storm... any of those would just be amazing.

6. Zallirog

Zallirog

Uh, what were we talking about? Member
    maybe Tails should run at the same base speed as sonic without boosting and he could get some sort of flying boost instead of a ground based boost so his flying is the focus of his game play. Then, knuckles could not have a gliding or ground based boost but instead he is able to glide a bit enabling him to go straight through lines of enemies in the air over chasms and he can have large underground digging sections like the drill power in colors, there could even be hidden digging spots that serve as huge shortcuts through his stages and he can mid air punch (aka homing attack) as well. He would essentially be the jack of all trades master of none. he can run at the same basic speed as sonic and glide which is almost flying like tails but he does have his own advantage which would be being able to climb/dig through stages. How does that sound?

7. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I think having Tails playable in the 3d would be kinda lame, it would only make the fixed path nature of the 3d seem more obvious.

"We'hey I can fly really high! but am still restricted to a 10ft wide path..."

It's not too bad with Sonic, but it would be nice to explore, but with Tails, being restricted by mile high invisible walls would just be depressing more than anything else.

I'm not holding much hope they are gonna let us "explore" these levels

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm talking about Classic only, but doing the same for the modern characters wouldn't take more than a week. They already have properly animated (and even playable) 3D models for those.

Of course, they'd have to make parts of the levels that take their abilities into account, but that's besides the point.

9. Felik

Felik

Just do this and you the winner

10. cornholio857

cornholio857

The Great Cornholio Member
    Jacksonville, FL
    In search of TP
    You read my mind! That is one of my all time favorite Sonic tracks. As I said a few pages back, it would be awesome if Sega somehow got a hold of Michael Jackson's original recordings for Sonic 3. Maybe use them as unlockable music tracks. Unlikely, but one can dream though. LOL

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I doubt they'd make any references to his scrapped works in this game, or to any scrapped stuff from the games, for that matter. People are not supposed to remember stuff that weren't released in their final products, after all.

Perhaps in a different timeline where MJ made the final music for Sonic 3, and is still alive. =P

12. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I count my main series games by the number of home consoles they're on. Unleashed got 4.
    Generations gets 2.
    Colours got 1.
    Side-game.

Note that isn't bad. I liked Secret Rings and even found Black Knight enjoyable.

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Still doesn't make sense, but whatever.

By the way, if we're going to ask for Tails and Knuckles back, how about giving Sonic some new moves he can use in 2D and/or 3D? Something that'll balance out him not being able to fly or climb walls. Maybe give him the Spikes ability from Colors and have him stick to walls, move safely on spikes, and reach areas neither Tails nor Knuckles could reach. Tails couldn't reach it because he'd get tired churning his tails, and Knuckles couldn't reach it because he can't climb upside down or on spikes. As an added perk, have it either stick him to bosses and make them go apeshit or have it replace the Insta-shield and bounce him higher up when he uses it on enemies.

I'd also be in favor of just having the insta-shield and/or one of the scrapped moves from the scrapped STI games. There could be shield powerups that give Sonic some maneuverability that either Tails or Knuckles don't have.

14. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    So Sonic 1,2,3 etc wern't part of the main series? And Sonic Adventure 1&2 weren't cannon until their ports were released on Gamecube? @_@
    Sorry but seeing how Colours was kinda a successor to Unleashed (which I'm assuming you agree that it is part of the main series) , I don't see how you could say it was a spin off.

Edit:
    I also agree with Chimpo's logic that Tails and Knuckles should be just slight variations of Sonic like they used to be, but Trakker makes a good point of it being so easy for Tails to find invisible walls which would get annoying. Maybe ditch his whole traditional flying component all together and just make his Air Boost not descend as much as Sonics then slap on a flying animation?

LOL
    Reminds me of Knuckles in Awesome the Hedgehog

15. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Considering that I didn't mention anything that far, I'd assume it'd be obvious I'm not counting anything Heroes-backwards. Before Heroes, main games were obviously the ones in the main SEGA consoles. After Heroes, games that are exclusive to any one console I consider spin-offs.

And Unleashed was kinda a successor to Secret Rings, so eh.

16. Yeah, I know what you mean. Tails' version of Speed Highway was awesome because there was actually stuff to fly to. So they've done it before... albeit over ten years ago.

17. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Iizuka's Interview:
    Monster-Of-The-Week confirmed.

Umm... wat? The earlier games are pure platformers that reward perfection,said reward is "speed," new paths and sense of accomplishment.

Why he keeps distorting the reality? I guess he's mixing Classic Sonic with Modern Sonic gameplay.:rolleyes:

They... they are proud to acknowledge linearity?

Is this Sonic Advance 2?

Tails and Knuckles had a Homming Attack in both Sonic Rivals 1 and 2.

It was said countless times in this thread by me, ICEknight and Chimpo, but I'll say once again: adding other characters is just a trivial matter. For classic gameplay, just swap the 3d meshes. Adding flying abilities/gliding and climbing are optional, otherwise just leave Tails as in Sonic 2, and Knuckles as in Sonic3 "Competition Mode." They worked THAT way. For modern gameplay, just add homming attack to them, and either leave them boostless or give them the boost ability as well (special abilities optional). As in Sonic Colors' Super Sonic gameplay, add springs and other things to help you make your way through the levels if those character can't do things only Sonic can, such as, say, Wall Jump. It worked for Colors.

And from my experience with game development, I'd say that, making them playable in the game —as far as 3d models, rigging and animations are done-- would be an hours (in a stretch, a days) work.

And don't tell me "they have to nail the Sonic-only gameplay first," because the "Sonic-only gameplay" has veen past stabilished, as earlier as 2008, with Sonic Unleashed, Colors AND NOW Generations using the same mechanics and design choices. As far as classic Sonic gameplay in Generations is concerned, it is just Modern Sonic's 2.5D sections without boosting, railgrinding, dashpads and homming attacks, so there is nothing to be "nailed." This is just a lame excuse for insecure people.

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Shadow Sonic with a giant chalk piece confirmed.

19. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I bet his name will be Dr. X.

And they punish you if you're not perfect.

Anyways, isn't the nice thing about Sonic 3 & Knuckles and CD that they reward exploration as well as maintaining speed? I always thought that was nice. Sonic 2 sorta did the same thing with littering sign posts everywhere, and that was a pretty ingenious way to lengthen the stages and still have frustrating Special Stages.

Sonic Adventure 1&2 fall under that description. Unleashed does not, so I could understand the confusion.

Not really sure what he's referring to with linearity. Does he mean the 3D stages or the 2D stages?

Is this Chemical Plant Zone?

So, you are satisfied with Unleashed-style gameplay for Sonic?

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    "unknown antagonist" could just as easily mean "Dr. Eggman, but nobody knows it yet!". I'm all for relaxing until we hear more, how about you guys?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.