don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you dislike the Sonic R soundtrack (with vocals)? I'm genuinely curious.

2. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Ah, thanks. Will go and edit my post accordingly... Sorry about that...

3. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Sonic Adventure 2 Battle says this isn't unheard of.

4. serpx

serpx

I'd agree with you, but as hinted, we've had singing in Sonic games since Sonic CD/Sonic R. It apparently was inevitable. While I hate a lot of the newer songs, I've equally enjoyed a lot of the older such as Sonic Adventure's theme song, and the theme for Knuckles. Oh, and let's not forget Pumpkin Hill, you ready?

5. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    I didn't dislike it. The melodies were pretty cool as I recall, although I didn't really like the vocals. SA2 (and to an extend SA1) was just really shit kinda singing, next to status and bling nigger music it was the worst kind of music they could've possibly used.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I don't think it's been pointed out yet, but you can home in on rails at their tip.

7. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I noticed that in both of the interviews' gameplay footage. If you're going to have rails, being able to lock-onto them is helpful but not necessary. A simple air-dash would do it, as Final Rush demonstrated in Sonic Adventure 2, but then that's how it was designed. I think that's where they ran out of creative implementations of grind rails for 3D Sonic games if I'm honest.

Well, okay, Hang Castle gets honorable mention.

It just hit me how damn linear Modern Sonic's gameplay is, for as exhilarating as it might be. I'd better stop watching gameplay vids before I begin to obsess over it.

8. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Reminds me of rail homing in Sonic 06, except without the high chance of being flung into a pit of lava.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Modern Sonic's basic gameplay is always pretty linear, just keep in mind that this level is very likely level 1, so it makes sense to start off with an exhilarating yet simple nostalgia trip (even though the whole game is a nostalgia trip)

10. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    Random point I thought about - what don't you want to see in this title? We always talk about what we want to happen but never what we want them not to do.

I'll start off with this - upgrade system. Never f*cking again. The upgrade system is a huge part of what broke Unleashed for me - it was a needless and annoying feature that made Werehog even more tedious (if you didn't upgrade your attacks you were f*cked) and wound up making the Daytime levels unpleasant (oh wait now Sonic's way too fast DAMN YOU UPGRADES).

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Off the top of my head. Final zone in space, more specifically Super Sonic in space. Fuck. May I add... that!

12. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    The mention of Sonic R, since the Unleashed stages are for better or worse, kinda like race tracks that don't loop, you could easily have a Sonic R level. Radient Emerald in full glory HD with Diamond In The Sky or Supersonic Racing would be F*cking Epic!

Although its just a guess... That might just be me haha

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Am I the only that thinks Unleashed style gameplay is highly reminiscent of this Xbox launch title:

It's okay if I am.

14. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Here's the interview translated by Core on Sonic Stadium.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Takashi Iizuka, producer of Sonic Generations.

What specificity for this Sonic Generations?

2011 marks Sonic's twentieth anniversary and this year we created a Sonic title that could only be created for that occasion: In this game, we witness the collaboration between the modern Sonic and the classic Sonic, each evolving in his own game format. So the gameplay is very contrasted whether you play as one Sonic or the other.

So the past is mixed with the present...

As I previously mentioned, Sonic Generations is designed to celebrate 20 years of Sonic. So for this occasion, we went back to 1991 to include some of the most iconic levels most known by players, in this new title. Since it will be available for the XBox 360 and PlayStation 3, everything is now in HD 3D; the goal being to revitalize, rediscover, recreate the levels that everyone have known and loved for a long time, with current graphics.

Levels from the whole Sonic series?

In Sonic Generations, you'll find levels from the MegaDrive era, the DreamCast era, which are, I remind you, recreated in HD 3D, but also more recent levels, that have appeared on the HD consoles. For the moment, I can't give you details about which levels will be in the game, but soon a series of announcements should satisfy your curiosity.

What is more difficult: to design a level in 2D or in 3D?

You could already see our reinterpretation of Green Hill Zone, originally a level seen on a 2D plane, from the MegaDrive. In Sonic Generations, you go through this level with the modern Sonic, so we had to "reinvent" it in full 3D. Which requires a lot of work! With the classic Sonic, everyone should experience some sort of nostalgia with the same feelings as before, while the game with the modern Sonic is a brand new experience of Green Hill Zone, really refreshing. But in Sonic Generations, you'll also find level originally created in 3D, this time transposed into 2D! So the roles between the two hedgehogs are switched: controlling the modern Sonic gives a feeling of nostalgia while discovering those levels with the classic Sonic is new, exclusive! So the title is well balanced between nostalgia and novelty, be it with one Sonic or the other.

Will we meet Sonic's friends again in Sonic Generations?

In Sonic Generations, the exclusively playable characters are modern Sonic and classic Sonic. But since our intention was to create a game celebrating the 20 years of Sonic's history, the hedgehog's friends, who have an important role in it, just had to appear. We grabbed every opportunity that allowed us to use Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, etc. Those friend will not be playable, but they will appear one way or another in the game.

Which is your favorite Sonic era?

It is... hard to say... I've been involved in the creation of Sonic games for quite a long time now, so each of these games resonates in a particular way for me, it is almost impossible to decide which one is my favorite... However, I am very happy of the way Sonic Generations and Sonic Colours have been developed. Sonic Generations will mark Sonic's 20 years with panache, giving sort of a summary of everything Sonic has been up to now. I would like Sonic to meet twenty more years of success, to be played and loved by everyone.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Yes.

That game actually has platforming, a shit ton of alternate routes and a sense of danger.

16. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.

Barry the Nomad from SSMB was nice enough to combine the 2 videos to make one complete modern sonic stage.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Er, besides hazards and level design :colbert:

I mean, there's drifting, floating hoops that shoot you forwards, and obviously the "run to the end" mechanic too.

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie

Good god, why the HELL does the music do that?! It's like an ugly mistake. I understand that "boost" basically replaces the Super Sneakers, but at that point I'd rather just have either A) the music stays the SAME, or B) Boost=Super Sneakers separate jingle/sound effect. The whole time it just makes me feel like the game wants to go the Green Hill Act 3 (I assume Act 1 is Classic Sonic while Act 2 is Modern Sonic).

I am really excited to see 3D zones translated into 2D though....and "seeing" is all I'll be doing with this game since I don't have the correct system(s). -_-

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I'm pretty that "mistake" is just a drum not from the "fast" track and a drum note from the "slow" track temporarily overlapping, so one note ends up sounding out of sync.

20. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    ..wow, that's essentially Unleashed daytime only with a racing aspect added. It honestly looks like it has more depth and is better too, really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.