don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic Release thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    There are other complete fan games.

2. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    I think people need to get over themselves and stop acting like they have any dictation as to when a game someone else is making is "done".

It's done when the creator stops development of it. Quit being snobs.

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS

You guys act like the game is horribly unplayable. Hez has accomplished much with this game, give him a break.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Woah now hold on a second. I did not mean to say this game is unplayable. Hez made a pretty good product here. He just needs to fix a few quirks that's all.

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Okay, okay! First released fan game which is pretty much complete but may require some small tweaks.

Hey, even Sonic The Hedgehog had different revisions!

To be honest, I really did enjoy this game. I did rage at the first water stage, but I thought you made a decent game. I preferred playing through being Knuckles, as the game feels as though it's built for him, rather than Sonic's speed, but yeah, it's a really good game. Update your first page when you give us some more material!

6. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Any project is done when your boss says "Ship it!"

Since Hez is his own boss, he declared the projects was complete and began work on his next project - the expansion.

7. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    So. I was going to do this. I bought a controller that would let me use the digital part for this, and I sat down to do it. I AM GOING TO DO IT, I thought; even as I got to Luster Lake with it's ear-rapingly loud music. Even as I wrestled with that one fucking swinging-platform-onto-moving-block bit that requires a bit of momentum and perfect timing to climb. Even as I started to get to the coloured switches.

[​IMG]

Then I got stuck here. No amount of mashing the buttons would free me. No problem, I'll drown and tackle the level again, right? No. After '0' showed and the drowning music stopped, I got a cut-off drowning sound effect, and was still stuck in the same place and animation with the '0' flashing at me.

I've been trying so hard to get into this and like it, but the game is fighting me at every turn.

8. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I'm honestly waiting to release a revision. I want to give it a month or two so all the major bugs can be addressed. This isn't like Sonic 06. I am going to fix things.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

We believe you, buddy. Honestly, what you've created is a billion times better than Sonic 2006.

10. Afr0Blu3

Afr0Blu3

UK
    Hey Hez, just wanted to say I had an awesome time playing this and thank you for releasing it. I did come across a few bugs which other people might have mentioned but here we go.
    - Tails got trapped in one of the Robotnik bosses (I have footage in the video below)
    - Tails couldn't hurt Metal Sonic
    - The large Metal Sonic at the end, every time I attacked him I would get trapped inside his sprite, in my spinning animation, and then die. I've been unable to beat the game due to this bug, even finding the extra live, shield and ring that are at the start of Death Egg couldn't save me. (Again, footage in the video below)
    - The second special stage, I jumped off a platform with spring shoes and when I hit the floor I was trapped in the bounce information in the ground. Unfortunately I don't have footage or a screenshot of this.

Overall, I really enjoyed the game, even with the bugs it has at the moment it's far better than Sonic 4. I reviewed it as well, the video can be found below.

11. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

Any chance of porting this over to OS X? It doesn't work in Wine, and it's a real pain to boot up Windows just to play it. I wasn't able to configure my USB controller inputs, either (not implemented yet, perhaps?).

I haven't played extensively yet, but here are some fast observations.

• The physics are odd. Sonic takes long to slow down from running and in the air. Using instashield after a spin dash jump doesn't return control to him as it does in S3K (or does it too slow for it to matter).

• Instashield appears to not have much range and/or invincibility as in S3K. Seems significantly worse. Try it on the "Sol" badnik (4 rotating orbs of fire).

Other that, I'm enjoying it. Excellent work.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    He made it in MMF2 so...unless Clickteam ports MMF2 to OSX, that'd be a no. Sorry mate.

Then again, I'm not Hez.

13. dsrb

dsrb

I'd support that motion if it were possible, but it does work on Wineskin in my experience, albeit at varying frame-rates (ameliorated by running in full-screen mode, as numerous users here have reported for various platforms).

This I haven't tried, though I'll need to give it a shot soon. In the case of other games I run using Wineskin (Wetrix, Streets of Rage Remake), my controller didn't work with them, but it was detected by JoyToKey allowing me to map its buttons to keyboard keys. Go figure!

Sorta noticed this, although I didn't want to draw any conclusions on account of the sometimes suboptimal frame-rates noted above.
    I can't verify but I recall someone claiming that it doesn't extend his attack radius at all.

14. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

Are you using Linux, perchance? Wine doesn't have as much compatibility in OS X as it does in Linux with specific things. I have version 1.3.18, and installed it via MacPorts. I've tried various types of Wine software (Wineskin included), and the MacPorts compiled version has given me the least amount of issues and the highest compatibility of them all.

The error I get when I try to run Sonic Classic says "Cannot load DirectShow.mfx. The object might need an external program or library not yet installed." I also get this message in the shell:

err:module:import_dll Library QUARTZ.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\HDL\\Temp\\mrt2eb7.tmp\\DirectShow.mfx") not found

I do, in fact, have quartz.dll located in the system32 folder. I also stuck a copy of it within the Sonic Classic folder (a trick that works with some other apps), still won't work.

If it's not possible to port, no worries. I'm just curious as to whether it was planned.

15. dsrb

dsrb

No:

16. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

I know what Wineskin is, I just wasn't sure if there was a Linux version of it.

Anyway, I managed to get it working with the MacPorts Wine build by sticking a copy of quartz.dll into the "/windows/system" folder. It loads and appears to run fine, but no USB configuration or music (sound effects work). No music is just incomplete implementation of DirectSound, but at least the game works. I haven't encountered the framerate issues you mentioned, though.

17. dsrb

dsrb

I wonder why that is. Music worked for me using Wineskin. Why not try that?

18. Adrian Tepez

Adrian Tepez

In the past I've tried different types of Wine installations, and they have a nasty habit of overlapping with each other, making for some pretty screwy side effects that force me to reinstall from scratch. It's been long since I tried Wineskin, so I'm not sure if it'll ruin my current version. I just know that I've had the best overall results by using standard Wine (augmented by Winetricks).

Of course, if it doesn't actually mess with anything, I suppose I'll use it. I'll pass on finding out the hard way, though. :)

19. dsrb

dsrb

Ah, reading comprehension fail on my part! To my knowledge (as suggested by e.g. this link and presumably directly stated elsewhere) Wineskin uses an inbuilt/.app-bundled installation of Wine, which by its nature will not interfere with any locally installed versions. Don't quote me on that, but I wager you can try it out without fearing any ill effects!

20. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    I don't know if this has been asked before but what of the possibility of a Dreamcast port?
    Would this seem likely or would it just be a no go?

Just asking being that I enjoyed this game but would probably have more of a better time playing if it were to be ported on a system.