don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Yes, that is true, Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles did indeed use pre-renders for the title-screen. There's another game that was heavy on pre-render use though.

[​IMG]

On THAT note, how many pieces of Sonic Box-art used pre-renders?

Before my post's meaning is misinterpreted: I like the Classic Sonic in the trailer more than the previous 3D Classic Sonic pre-renders, though I could still do without the butt-brow.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

His hand isn't clipping through the tree as your image would imply. He turns it slightly and the shades of white and grey are just very similar.

3. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    Yeah honestly, the only complaint I have with Classic's model is that his eyes are too narrow.

Also, I can't be the only one who thought of this when I first saw Classic Sonic:

4. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    It looks like he is showing the finger.

Nobody should really care.

5. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Because this is infinitely funnier:
    [​IMG]

Only thing I hope they can do with the classic model is recreate his figure-eight run from Sonic CD. If they can't, then oh well.

6. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

To whom it may concern,

Seriously. Seriously? Just stop. Like it or hate it, or preferably, be fairly neutral about it; but don't complain about irrelevant minutia. Stop being so exhaustingly pedantic over this trailer, people.

7. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I think Eggman was his usual pissed self at the end of Colors, but if he analyses what went wrong he would literally explode with rage, the only reason why Sonic stopped his plan (The giant mind control ray) was because one of the arms of the tropical resort boss damaged the mind control ray, basically, Sonic lucked out.

I'd be very damn pissed if that happened to me.

And not ALL of his plans have failed, he did manage to defeat Super Sonic, SUPER SONIC, at the beggining of Unleashed.

8. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    Not really sure what made the last few posts delete-worthy, but whatevs. I'm not one to argue with mods, so I'll leave that alone.

Regardless, the rules remain the same as ever for me with this game. Yeah, they've shown improvement with recent games such as Unleashed and Colors, but I'm still not going to get my hopes up until after the game has been released, and I can see that there's good cause to do so. So far, Sega's just done what they do best: show us a really cool looking early video.

I'm not saying I expect it to be bad or anything. Hell, we don't even know anything about the game yet aside from the fact that it's a game, and it's apparently being released this year. I'm not even convinced that Classic Sonic himself will actually be in it, as opposed to just making an appearance in that video to commemorate the 20th anniversary. In other words, we can't really judge it yet. So I don't expect it to be bad, but I'll never again trust Sega like I used to, so I don't necessarily expect it to be amazing either.

On the other hand, if Blackeyes is in the game, that's cool. It's novel and probably pointless (unless he's a separate playable character with different abilities, like some people have suggested), but it's neat. Definitely surprising.

9. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    Well sure, but in the process, he created something that ended up fucking him over just as bad. I would say that the beginning of Unleashed wasn't so much a victory as replacing one part of the equation with another.

Anyways, as for for the trailer, I'm still hyped a day later. I must say that I was a bit disheartened when I read that Adventure was originally supposed to have the original Sonic design, and am glad to see the design come to fruition a decade later. Of course, I'm wondering about the levels as well. While it is a given that we'll see some remakes of levels from yesteryear, I would still like to see some original content. A few new levels certainly wouldn't hurt.

10. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Why is classic Sonic so much smaller than modern Sonic? I thought that he was always about 3 feet tall, and his proportions changed for Sonic Adventure, not his overall height.

11. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I think this could be right or wrong, but I read up a while ago that Sonic in the genesis era was 10, according to the Japanese manual of Sonic 1. From Adventure and onwards, he's 15.

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    There's a -slight- change in height for Sonic between classic-era Sonic and SA-era Sonic: Classic Sonic is 83cm tall, whereas SA-era Sonic is 1m, according to concept art.

13. JigenD

JigenD

I think that, once again, the guys at SEGA have set themselves for another "meh" sonic game. I really don't see any true inspiration to make sonic 64 (you know what I mean) in this short teaser. The mere concept of including 2 sonics in a game "cuz we at sega want to please everyone", is juvenile and (dare I say it?) coward. This seems to be a chronic illness that started to develop within sega recently: the inability to decide which concept to work on, and working on it untill near-perfection. Sega needs more Warren Spector and less Izuka.

Oh and in my opinion that classic model is really FAR from perfect.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_r8k8SkdSTaE/TKkA...00/sonic-14.jpg

Anyway, I was happy to see classic sonic once again.

14. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

Sonic's age is never listed canonically in print anywhere until Sonic Adventure where he is listed as 15.

15. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The problem is that the trailer is pretty much the only thing we have... If we want to be fair, by this point we don't have anything else to talk about it. Anything else we can say would be pure baseless speculation, and huh, I don't think that's allowed, is it?

16. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

I've never heard such a sure-sounding argument for needlessly talking out of ones rear simply for the sake of talking.

If there isn't anything else to talk about, then don't talk about anything.

17. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Since people are bringing Saturn-era art into this...

I'm thinking a lot of elements in the Sonic design they used for the model weren't chosen because they were the "best" design choices, but because they were deliberately sticking to design cues from very early on in the character's life. He subtly got closer to his Adventure-era design over the years, so going all the way back to 1991's cues is a good way to remove the two as much as you can while still keeping him recognizable: Really pudgy belly, pale colors, thick brows, etc.

Honestly if I were to pick a "best of" classic design, it'd be the one from Sonic the Screensaver, but what we got is fine all things considered.

18. Nora Kisaragi

Nora Kisaragi

Hey now, I actually liked Sonic and the Secret Rings. It was in my opinion one of the better modern sonic games in recent days. Black Knight? Not so much, I think that killed off the story book franchise for good, but who knows.

Anyhow, to the people that think this game will have the player control both Sonics in the same level (I.e. modern sonic for 3d, classic sonic for 2d), I'm not so sure. First, such a gimmick would be confusing as hell, and secondly, people want to play as Classic Sonic to get away from modern sonic, making people play as both would ruin the point of making classic sonic playable in the first place.

19. ShadowsofYesterday

ShadowsofYesterday

I have no idea what's going on. Member
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sonic and the Magic Hat
    That was artwork only. In the games, his skin was always a somewhat tan peach color. In fact, it'd probably be accurate to say that his skin was darker then than it is now.

On the contrary: by your logic, giving people the choice of playing as EITHER Classic OR Modern would mean no one would ever play as Modern Sonic, making his presence utterly pointless. Sega probably doesn't want that.

Your point is valid and all, and I actually agree with you, but this is a Sonic website. People in the Sonic community have to talk about the vague 50 second clip Sega just released and try to predict every last aspect of the game based on that. They have to scrutinize over the smallest and stupidest of details in the video, because they have nothing better to do. That's the Sonic community for you.

20. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    It doesn't have to be like that, though! We can always NOT do that! You can realize that there's nothing important to really talk about (and, to be honest, there wasn't a whole lot to talk about aside from "holy fuck Classic Sonic") and just stop. This thread is horrible.

What's worst about it all is that so many people are suspended now for failing to read the rules in the OP. One-liners, baseless speculation, general stupidity gets you a week ban. Wise up, guys. Come on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.