don't click here

Sonic Generations Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Just tossing this out there, but ten bucks says the different style Sonics will be used in stages of their respective eras. Chances are Classic Sonic will mostly be seen from the side during normal gameplay.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I don't think Classic Sonic's legs are clipping through his belly. Look closely, and you'll see they're just moving at a really weird angle/position.

I lol'd.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Makes me curious to see what kind of expressions C. Sonic will be animated with. The cartoonier and less "realistic"/"cool", the better.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Oh, guys. EYELIDS!

[​IMG]

5. Made this moments after I saw the video. Old joke, REVISITED.

[​IMG]

6. Looking at these high poly models, there doesn't seem to be a lot different topology-wise. It's mostly the scale of sections, and the textures. I wonder if in game they could have intermediate steps between these two models, like the evolution from old Sonic to new Sonic? If they're the same topology, that would be fairly straight forward. They could even do it on the fly in realtime in theory.

Yes, I'm just making up baseless crap here, but it's a fun thought.

7. While the brow doesn't really bother me much, the lack of the defined smirk/smile in the trailer model is what popped out to me when I watched it for the first time. It blends in way to much for my tastes and your modeling just shows how much attitude it brings to his character!

I feel like they took the small smile approach here, but it still isn't very noticeable.
    Like your model shows, this is what we need (in my opinion at least)
    [​IMG]

Sega's shown they can fix smiles... Look how we lost the nike check!

The model still looks great overall... If a change isn't made it wouldn't effect my opinion in the least... We still have CLASSIC EFFIN SONIC

:specialed:

8. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The new model for the classic style of Sonic is cute and looks quite cuddly too, it's cartoony, it's bouncy, it's nearly everything required to be a kid's lovable character, it also opens up and gains the attention of "other" viewers/players, those who may not have been interested in the modern (more teenaged) style of Sonic, might be interested in the classic version instead. I respect this because this grabs the attention of a larger audience, which (from a business and consumer point of view) is a great idea.

I've also noticed a few changes to the character's actions, such as when running at full speed, his legs do not become rounded/spiraled. Some may not like the idea behind this, but from reading the previous posts about "understanding why" the changes were necessary for the modern style, this is an acception for the classic style and I'm happy with this, strictly because after seeing 3D fan-games that attempt to incorperate the rounded/spiraled leg design in 3D, it doesn't look so nice in my opinion. They kept the swinging arms for this model though, and I have to say it doesn't look bad at all. On subject of the model being "wonky", I agree, but I prefer it.

Looking at the scenery of the video now (which is obviously a reminiscence of GHZ), I don't think I like it, the extra realistic effect put into the checkard walls to make them look more rocky, is a bad idea in my opinion, that loop didn't look very sterdy, nice, or memorable in a good way, it could be the lack of colour though. It does however give the impression of "speed" once again, which I don't have a good feeling about, there seemed to be no rings, no springs, no spiked logs, no swinging platforms, or other things you could note about GHZ, and it makes that world feel empty and lifeless, like a long, open, and empty road in the desert. I'm not comparing this to gameplay, after all, there's nothing saying this is part of the game anyway, I'm more stating that for a CGI clip, it could've been more lively, with more going on.

The video itself hasn't said shit though to be honest, while it's a suprise and I did enjoy it (don't get me wrong here), it's not telling me anything about the game, what it's going to be like, or how it'll play, it's similar to the Sonic 4 clip, infact it's shown "less" information than the Sonic 4 clip did, so I guess the obvious advice would be not to get too overly hyped up.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    I've noticed that this pudgy Sonic model is appealing to quite a few of my friends who've been non-gamers for a long time. It has arguably more appeal than the aimed-at-teenagers Sonic, because even if you have no vested interest in the series as a whole, it's cute.

I've also noticed that the photoshops have started. "Hi! I'm Sonic Retro, and I'm on a mission to get anal-retentive on the world one pixel at a time." :specialed:

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Oh, this isn't dogpiling. When actual dogpiling occurs, there will be blood, guts, and eyeballs in vast quantities all over the ceiling and walls. This is more like "puppypiling." It looks brutal, but it's relatively cute and harmless, and (for my part, at least) all in good fun.

This is true! And I've said it on more than one occasion myself. It's part of the reason I profess to prefer Modern Sonic. This being said, I don't think looking at it from that particular point of view, for this particular game, is entirely fair. Classic Sonic's appearance in this game is more akin to a Smash Bros. character like, say, Mr. Game & Watch or Toon Link. It doesn't fit with its surroundings, but it's not so much intended to "fit" at all. It's the kind of concept that throws that word out the window from the word "go"--like, say, "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?"

How well-executed it'll be remains to be seen.

11. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    At least it's not Spaz's blinking Irises

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    A smile that big would be too overdone, I think, and the "black line emphasis" thing at the side is more suited to actual cartoons than CG or 3D models, in my humblest opinion.

As a side-note, I can't help but think the lack of "butt-brow" (...lol?) in that particular photoshop actually takes away some of the "attitude" from Sonic's expression, making him appear less competitive than in the original shot.

13. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    You know, it does technically look better, but qualitatively, it actually doesn't make much of a difference to the look. I still like the look in the teaser. It doesn't matter either way more than what information about the game is coming to us.

Unless anyone else objects or has an alternate perspective to it, I haven't got much more to say about the model. It's new, it's exciting, says little to nothing about gameplay, says a lot about how SEGA is listening, and that's about it for now.

14. Titan

Titan

UK
    I'm sorry, but what is the problem with the eyelids? I can't even tell if people are actually complaining about it, to be honest :S

In the old games, Sonic's eyelids were in fact flesh-coloured; as they are on the classic Sonic model here. IIRC, they were changed to blue in Sonic X, for some reason, and then the games followed suit. So it is actually correct for Classic Sonic to have flesh-coloured eyelids, rather than blue.

15. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    No one's complaining about the eyelids. They're just pointing them out.

16. Even though I personally prefer the blue eyelids, I consider it a positive thing, because it shows that SEGA didn't just hastily whip up an old pudgy Sonic for people whining about eye colour. It indicates an attention to detail that shows they seem to actually care about making a game that would please the older Sonic gamers. In itself it's a trivial detail at most, but in the context of the trailer, I think it says more. That's my take on it, anyway. :)

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    While I'm not a fan of the American Classic Sonic, I think the 3D model looks great. I especially love how cartoony and stretchy his animations are.

18. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    And you guys just made me remember the one detail I miss since SA2 -- Sonic's flesh-colors eyelids. :v:

On another note, is anyone else reminded of this one Sonic X comic where a clone of Sonic showed up who looked just like this guy? :B

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Fun thing is that modern Sonic doesn't close his eyes though (or I'm not paying enough attention)... Was Sega really trying to prove their point that hard?

20. glem3

glem3

The background and various areas being white definitely isn't because they "ran out of time". Making the partly faded color look with only some things partly colored is harder than just making everything have color.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.