don't click here

Sonic Fusion

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Felik, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    Alright before I start I'm going to say I absolutely hate that Sonic sprite ever since its first appearance so this may be a little biased.
    The level design looks awesome and the fact that your actually bothering to do a story mode is commendable, from what I've seen there's quite a few of playable characters which gives me high hopes for this game provided the characters differ in their own ways in the end. Also THANK YOU for not making Sonic a homing attack button mash, that shit's plagued the Sonic games for a while. As mentioned by other people I absolutely loved Flooded Capital but I think a shout out needs to go to Knuckles combat system. It looks like great fun having multiple ways to dispatch your enemies besides ye ol jumping and... did he just pickup and throw a Badnik at 0:19 of this video?

Oh he most certainly did! As well as did it again at 0:45 into a bubble monitor, this has great promise for secret areas. For example have a Badnik beside an inaccessible wall over a pit, if you were to pick up and throw it at the edge it would collide with a 1-up inside the wall, genius! Again I'm going to say and agree with others that the clash of style looks... interesting, not exactly bad but I will say that Sonic sprite doesn't belong here. Overall it looks like you have put a hell of a lot of effort into this and I will be watching this fan-game from now on, I say looks because I haven't played yet just passing judgement based on the videos because I just can't bring myself to play looking at that damn sprite. Perhaps time will tell, furthermore I will say ONLINE multiplayer in a pure 2D Sonic game? Multiplayer hasn't been done well in Sonic since S3&K, Felik I think you just came across every Sonic fans wet dream! With this multiplayer you add HUGE amounts of replay value to the game which just adds to the awesome of this fan game. With replay value in mind do you have any intention of adding time challenges to levels or even the basic E to S rank system we all know and love? Either way best of luck to you Felik, I'll be watching closely. :thumbsup:

2. Felik

Felik

Thank you for your good words.
    I really appreciate them.

I use advance sprites for two main reasons:
    1. I don't hate them. In fact I quite like them
    2. There are tons of them. Enough to make various characters and their abilities. And I really need different abilities to make characters unique.
    Also if SEGA ever made a character someone WILL make an advance spritesheet for him. No exceptions. That means that I can port pretty much any character to my game and give him various abilities. Of course I have to make certain sprites by myself quite often. Advance sprites are not very hard to make if needed.

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    The only problem I have with this is, if you're bent on using advance sprites...then use ALL advanced sprites. Mixing Genesis/Megadrive sprites with advanced sprites is like water and oil to me. My two cents. Other than that, game play looks fresh and fun

4. dsrb

dsrb

There's probably a reason for that... :P (perhaps the basic/absent shading and the auto-rotation)

But yeah, interested to see how this continues to develop.

5. Felik

Felik

So here is Metal City. The future City of technology.
    Hope you'll enjoy it!
    Metal City

6. Awesome, but where is Extreme Gear? :thumbsup:

7. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    This has me very excited. Very very excited. I love the Megaman (Z)X feel to the art, palettes and enemies.

8. snow toilet

snow toilet

I huff kitty litter Member
    Anytime, USA
    Sonic Grand Prix??
    Wow, Felik, the level looks excellent.
    Looks definitely Chemical Plant/Metallic Madness like.
    The background looks amazing.
    Keep it up.

9. Ranger

Ranger

BBQ flickies Member
    Canuckistan
    Sonic and the Rings of Order RPG
    Oh man is that some Socket background
    It fits really nice with the foreground art~

10. Felik

Felik

New video in case somebody is interested.

11. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    That's pretty cool; never thought I'd see Wisps in a fan game anytime soon. :)

12. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Lookin' good as usual, Felik. I like the level tiles too, nice work on those.

13. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    One of the worst things about Sonic Colours IMO was the sound design. I just couldn't abide the way it swapped out the music with the wisp "grooves" when they were used. It drives a cart and horses through the flow of the level. So I'm kind of sad to see that so faithfully recreated here.

Other than that, this looks brilliant and I can't wait to play the next demo.

14. Felik

Felik

15. Felik

Felik

16. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Impressive. I'll admit the laser killing everyone in one hit regardless of their ring count seems kind of BS though. >_>

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The frequency you use that fire wisp and the fact it's the only one in that zone makes this what could be fantastic, tedious and boring. Sorry if it sounds harsh but you are following the designs of the official release that I feel ruined what could have been really sweet gimmick.

18. Fuzedknight

Fuzedknight

Epic Gnome Time! Member
    I would have to agree, after watching that video it really seems like your never not in *wisp* form besides a very small section in between more wisp form.

19. Matwek

Matwek

It says in the video description "A small glimpse of the mission mode in Sonic Fusion." which makes me think it might just be a fire wisp themed challenge. In which case you would expect a lot of use.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This fan game has a sort of identity crisis. What exactly are you trying to get with this game anyway? Sonic Advance, Colors, Chaotix, Battle? And what kind of art style are you going with. Inconsistent ahoy.