don't click here

Saw this on E-bay

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chronix, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Bazing! :P

Anyways...yeah I'm betting it was M$ WinCE they use. In case anyone is interested in what the hell WinCE is, I took the time to search it up on Google and found this def:

2. Chronix

Chronix

Ah so microsoft had a hand in consolse BEFORE the x-box. maybe the dreamcast was what set the ball rolling.

oh somthing else. My friend who works at Gamestation, after I told him about the DCPC, said somthing about a black DC which was specificly used for development. I wonder if it has anything to do with the DCPC?

3. Chronix

Chronix

Sorry for the double post just got a reply from the seller

Quite the Emigma. Man, I wish I had more money!

4. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Ok, I did a little more researching on "Sega Dreamcast Dev Kit specs" and found this in a FAQ section:

Hopefully that can give some more insight, notice how Windows CE is mentioned as the developement software.

5. Kamek

Kamek

Magikoopa Member
    Here is an article that explains the Dreamcast Dev unit: http://assembler.roarvgm.com/Dreamcast_Dev...loper_unit.html

Some highlights:

This is a steal... The GD-ROM drives are hard to find, as are the discs, and this guy has both the drive and a whole spindle full of GD-Rs...

Unfortunately this guy isn't shipping outside the UK, but if he were I'd definately consider placing a bid.

EDIT: Oops, this was linked to in the actual auction. Oh well, good site anyway, they have tons of cool crap there.

6. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    If I had the money I'd place a bid, maybe.

7. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    He is probably thinking of the black PLAYSTATION, the "net yaroze". It wasn't rare, but wasn't common either. It was a fully operational consumer developer playstation. I remember seeing one in a common electrical outlet.

Also, Windows CE stands for "Compact Edition", for devices which might use the functions of windows, but not fully, as in PDA's, organisers, and the Internet Explorer browser in the dreamcast.

Microsoft (btw, $ isn't an S, spechje ?_?) didn't actually have much to do with the development of the DC. It was more likely a case of Sega purchasing WinCE, and integrating it into the dc softare so it would load up IE on request.

8. Chronix

Chronix

Net Yaroze? weird. So what do these consolse do? can you actualy make something with them or was it just designed for testing.

As above:
    the guy said he got it from a games comapny that went bust. Isn't is Illegal for companys to sell special hardware/software with out proper permission or licencing? I doubt that sega would just let some third paty games co. to just release their DevKits to the public.

9. magraimon

magraimon

that's why you have to bid quick :D

I'm not sure what you could do with the NY exactly, but I know I saw a user-made demo of the inside of a 3d pipe, (think s2 special stage, but a full pipe) of hypnotic colours.

That DCPC should theoretically contain the means to program a dreamcast game. Theoretically :o

Unless its actually just a normal pc in a h4x0red case, with the purpose to decieve. God knows ebay was created for that purpose :P

10. Chronix

Chronix

I wonder if sega used these devkits or weather they had their own system?
    Is it procedure for games companys to make special versions of their consoles, I mean if the DevKits have the software capable of playing the game, what's the point of these "black" consoles?

11. magraimon

magraimon

nono, you don't understand. It was only Sony (to my knowledge) who released a devkit for the playstation, as a black one (Net Yaroze). I believe the guy who spoke to you got confused.

Besides, these developer computers aren't intended for home use, whereas the net yaroze was.

12. Chronix

Chronix

:P Oh sorry! So the black psx was used by games testers and programmers? its possible that sega could've made one, but the likely hood of one coming up any time soon is slim to none!

It still amazes me that this DCPC just turned up. I would've thought that if sega gave equipment to a company that later went belly up. the company should've given the stuff back to sega. I mean if anybody could create games for consoles then games companies would be out of business.

13. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Not if they bought the equipment from Sega. Now if they had rented it, then that would be a diffrent story.

14. magraimon

magraimon

p'raps the guy stole it from the office before they had sold equipment back to sega, and flogged it on ebay ;)

15. Chronix

Chronix

Or maybe he workerd for the company and took the kit home to work on a game. When the company went bust he "forgot" to tel them he still had it. ;)

16. magraimon

magraimon

I doubt the company would let him take such expensive equipment home with him. Business hardware/software is very expensive.

17. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The Dreamcast doesn't have Internet Explorer. If it did, the browser would suck more than it does already. :(

(The browser's a custom program by PlanetWeb, which was also used on the Saturn NetLink. It's not built into the system, either.)

18. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    that's one for Microsoft, ouch! :lol:

Perhaps he fudge some facts and created a fake gaming company in hopes he could home brew some games. Its not that hard to fudge details. :(

19. magraimon

magraimon

Oh, my mistake ^_^

it's been roughly 5 years since I used that browser.

20. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    I MUST GET NETLINK. DAMN THOSE BASTARDS FOR NEGLECTING THE EUROPEAN MARKET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.