don't click here

A noob trying to play PS1 imports and "backups".

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by OKei, Mar 20, 2011.

1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Anyone here on Sonic Retro on the PlayStation importing scene? I'd like some help.

The purpose here is to play burned PS1 discs like that Rockman 8 prototype, and to play my real copies of Rockman DASH, and Biohazard on my PlayStation 2 Slim SCPH-70001 and PSone consoles. I understand there are "creative" methods to accomplish this.

The most common ones I find on the internet are using a sort of double disc swapping method that involves a real PS1 disc and a burned/imported one, and you have to repeatedly swap them both in a timed, instant fashion. Which I have tried doing that with just my PSone console many, many times to no luck. I find it to be complicated and stupid, and I'm sick of trying that.

Another is actually opening up your console (PS2 or PSone), and soldiering mod-chips into the console. I'm willing to do that with just my PSone console, but I ain't tampering with my PS2 Slim. It looks complicated, but it does sound fun to experiment, though.

Finally, and possibly the most costly, is buying one of those Breaker Pro discs for $20 USD which "allows playing PS-One import games and backup games on PS-One and PS2 game console without any internal modification". Sounds exactly what I want. With it, you only have to swap a disc once and not have to rush, unlike the first method mention above. I don't know if it scam, though. It does sound too good to be true.

I also have Action Replay for PS1, and Action Replay MAX for PS2. Could I use those?

Do you recommend that I invest on a Breaker Pro disc, or is there some other unlisted method that I haven't touched upon or don't know about?

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Does your Action Replay for PS1 have a CD player feature?

Mine does, so how I play backups on my PS2 is run the Action Replay disk, go to the CD player, press "STOP" which will stop the CD from spinning, swap in the backup (without letting the PS2 know), exit to the main menu and start game, it will tell you to insert the game disk, just press ok.

Since you have a slim, I guess you will need a spring or something.

3. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Unfortunately, it doesn't. I did experiment with the "Explorer" feature of the AR disc, but again no luck. I used an Japanese disc, BTW.

4. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Honestly, I'd recommend the Breaker Pro. 20 bucks isn't too bad if you plan to use this alot and it's definitely going to be one of the easier methods you'll come across. I've tried plenty, trust me :P Makes me wish I had the Breaker Pro.

5. Eviltaco64

Eviltaco64

Hopelessly Lost in Aisle 5 Member
    If you have a PSP-2000 (or newer), you could hook it up to your TV and run PS1 games off of Sony's fairly decent emulator. It also saves you time swapping discs and it's more convenient because you can fit several games on a larger memory stick.

PS1 games are probably the only games that actually work in SD mode, though. Everything else for PSP requires progressive scan. :/

6. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

If you have a PS2 slim w/ fliptop lid, it is easy - albiet potentially risky if you use this method:

Boot the PS2 with no disk. Put in a PS1 disk [legit], don't start the game. Open the fliptop lid, carefully remove the still spinning PS1 disk and replace it with your import, or burned PS1 disk. Boot the game, it doesn't re-check to make sure a proper PS1 disk is inside, and assuming your import, or burned disk is good, will boot normally. :D :D :D :D :D :D

7. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I have a PS X-Change 2 disc for PS1 and it works well with all my import and burned games. It comes with a spring for the original PS1 and a PVC card you can tape down with clear shipping tape for the mini PS One system. (It says the adhesive will keep it down but it is not strong enough so put a strip of shipping tape on it so it doesn't pop up and scratch a disc.)

The only PS1 game I know for sure will not work on a US system, modded or swap disc-ed or not is the original Japanese exclusive King's Field from late 1994.

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Does using this X-Change 2 disc involve constantly swapping discs like this video is showing:

Because I won't do that.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I'm not sure about the "X-Change 2" specifically, but most discs like that will stop the disc from spinning before you do the swap.

10. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    No the only time you change the disc is when you start the system up.

Turn on the system with the boot disc in. The device allows you to start the system with the lid open. The disc will stop spinning after the menu comes up. You take the disc out and insert the game disc. Press start to make the game disc start spinning and load.

There is also a cheat code menu when your press select at the startup menu so you can input Gameshark codes or anti-mod chip lockout bypass codes for games that don't normally work with mod chips.

11. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Chip your PS1, get a swapmagic disk for your ps2 slim.

12. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Does anyone still provide a modchipping service for PS1s or alternatively PS2s? I could do with some chippy goodness.

13. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    you can buy the chips, but you have to install yourself IIRC.

14. MarzSyndrome

MarzSyndrome

Everything is going to the beat. Member
    Yeah, and I can't trust myself to not screw it up somehow. Really hope the whole "modding service" thing isn't dead these days.

15. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Swap Magic doesn't allow booting of PSX backups on a PS2 (not sure about original imports, however). AFAIK, on the PS2 you're limited to either a modchip or the swap method (blocking the sensors in the slim, allowing the drive to be opened without the console knowing). Swap method might work with something like the aforementioned X-Change 2 disc, but never tested it.

16. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    Actually, I remember back when I had my slim PS2.. I bought the recent (at the time) Swap Magic setup, came with 2 disk, one for DVD games and one for CD games . I don't quite remember where I got it from, but such a thing did exist! (then again, it could just be CD backups of PS2 games with my luck, scrap this post. >.<)

17. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    Funnily enough, your help and suggestions in the IRC helped lead me to my method of playing PSX backups.

When I installed Free MCBoot and ulaunchelf, there's a program called PSXLauncher that allows you to played the burned CDs. What you do is you insert any ol' PSX CD and head to ulaunchelf. From there, you use PSXLauncher which will stop the CD from spinning and ask you to swap the discs. To do this, you need a slide tool to open the tray without hitting eject, throw your burned CD in, close the tray and hit X.

Viola, you're playing burned PSX backups.

18. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Well there you go, I wasn't aware of PSXLauncher because I don't play PS1 games (I only bought my PS2 for GH so no need for the compatibility).

Note for the slim - where Shad mentions the slide tool, you can use the "tape and tissue" mod, or you can get the little "magic keys" that are often sold with Swap Magic, which block the sensors without opening the system (but they're a pain in the ass to keep in the right physical spot to actually do their job). Or, you can get a slim flip-top lid that opens without tripping the sensors.

19. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    So I tried that constant disc swap trick on my PSone (previously I just experimented on my obsoleted-ass, goddamn, good-for-nothing PSX from 1995), and...

Looks like I'm finally gonna record high-quality video on those Rockman and BioHazard trials and prototypes after all. =)

Stay tuned on some videos about said prototypes from yours truly in the near future.

20. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    There are ways.

Using an action replay/exploder disk, boot to the code screen, start without selecting any codes, you'll be asked to insert your game, unstick the only visible switch (the metal one on the inside of the lid) and insert a legit PS1 game, stick the switch back down.

the game will read, spin up, then either stop, or spin at a constant rate, swap for your backup.

hit play, and it'll load like any other game, easy.

Besides, why would he want to play his PS1 backups on his PS2? he's got a chipped PS1 for that!