don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Sonic's old look is more iconic, plus it makes more sense, inspiration-wise.

2. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I dig the mix of the new pose against the old background.

That said, I've still got the same complaints with the line consistency between the foreground and background; it makes the characters look so... superimposed over the background. Or rather, it makes the backgrounds look poorly inserted into the image. I just can't get over how unnatural it looks.

With that said, I may pick these up on release, if only for curiosity's sake.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    *waits for Sonic 3 and possibly Sonic 4 cover*

4. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'd think they would do a S&K cover rather than a Sonic 4 cover. It's too similar to Sonic 1's.

5. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Oh wow, so this is a temporary reboot. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little interested in this.
    Not a fan of Sonic's large nose on the first cover, but everything else looks much better. Great fixes/attention to detail.

EDIT: Not sure if this was posted yet, but one of the pages from #226 is up for preview on this article.
    http://www.newsarama.com/games/sonic-attac...sis-110317.html

[​IMG]
    I like the simplistic approach to the art, very clean.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Sonic Quest already did that.

[​IMG]

Though I guess since we are talking about covers they could just do the S&K emblem...

7. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Thank you for posting that page!

a certain cover of 225 had me worried for a moment there.

8. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    There's nothing saying you shouldn't be worried still :P She could die in between 225 and 230.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Also possible chance that hand could be Bunny's seeing as how she's the only other girl character that has a hand like that.

And just as a side note that combi classic/modern design that's in the comic preview page is just fantastic. Use that, for like the rest of forever.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Possible. It's a right hand, after all.

11. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Huh. So it's that kind of a reboot then, eh? Now I'm rather more interested.

12. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Those Genesis covers look pretty sweet, but I'm not very fond of the shading style on the second one. Using black for shadows like that works when you've got a comic book hero with a lot of detail and muscle, like an X-Men character, but it doesn't suit the simple, colorful Sonic characters very well. Now, I'm not blind, it's there on the first cover, but it's not as extreme and looks like it was placed more skillfully/strategically. The second one just makes me think they said "well, it's not as totally radical as it could be, let's fill in all this open space with black." Maybe they're compensating for the darker background, but the shading just feels too forced.

I've always had problems with the inconsistency of the art Archie's Sonic comics (that's not to say it's bad), but that's probably just petty nitpicking. I know, different artists, different styles, but seriously, I've seen (and held) model sheets for other Archie series (like...Archie, for example), and I always wondered why they seemed to stop enforcing those methods upon their Sonic artists around the Dreamcast adaption, unless something big was happening (like these 20th anniversary Genesis issues). It's been a while since I read it month to month though, and thinking about it, more recent issues have appeared more consistent (though that's just judging based on online previews).

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ever since about issue 160 the style has been much more consistent. Granted there are a few differences here and there, but over all we aren't seeing any of the crap from the issue 100 era. The Sonic Universe comics are very consistent, seeing as how they're all drawn by the same person.

The Sonic X comics were very consistent even though the artist changed from issue to issue. They were probably told to enforce the shows style as much as possible.

14. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This is pretty much the same reason it's been consistent throughout the majority of the comic since 160. Just about every comic from 160 to about currently (and just about every comic for Sonic X and Universe) have been drawn by Tracy Yardley.

The guy's an overworker, if you ask me. Besides, his art style isn't exactly the best. I honestly would prefer if that new guy (forget his name), Spaz or Steven Butler would start doing it more often. Yardley's work seems really jagged and has lots of emphasis on bulgy brows, glaring eyes and disproportionately big mouths.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I used to love Spaz's work but he never really understood drawing modern Sonic. Every modern Sonic drawing he has done looks awful (I love the fact that the Death Egg is on the Issue 225 cover but god I just don't like how any of the characters are drawn), with the exception of the Genesis covers, but that may just be because those have some attributes of the classic style themselves. Honestly I kind of like Yardley's style though.

16. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I thought Spaz's Sonic artwork around SA2-era looked plain brilliant. However, that style didn't last long. Spaz kept jumping from style to style rapidly around this time, and then for some reason stuck with Uewaka's for about say 5 or 6 years, then finally decided to do his own thing again. I won't lie that something looks a bit off about how his Sonic looked on the #225 cover. It's like he got halfway there, then..

The spikes. Seriously, why is Spaz having such a problem drawing Sonic's spikes nowadays? Lately they have looked awkward in every picture.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    WAKA WAKA :v:

[​IMG]

Personally, I'd like to see how Long John Sonic looks if he decides to trim his spines down a few inches. No, don't show me a picture of Oshima's Sonic.

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Y'know Natsu, those covers could still be in the development stage since the issue isn't finalized I've seen it happen many times the covers get a quick redo before the issue is released and it looks alittle different then what we saw in a preview a month or 2 back. maybe if you email spaz about the changes you made he could implement them they are minor after all. But just don't go into the "Bawww green eyes" thing or they will just disregard you.

Just a thought.

19. nullaccnt

nullaccnt

I didn't say anything about green eyes. Considering the point of the covers is to mix classic with modern I don't see what the point would be complaining over eye-color. Let's just be frank. I also happen to like the modern eye colors.

Your point about them being drafts.. that's probably not the case, as revisions usually happen when there aren't things like the issue number are present and bleed areas are cropped. I also can't really recall the first cover looking any different a few months ago.

It's only too bad that this isn't a "hard reboot" (badumtsh.) This is only happening so that they don't have to kill off a bunch of unnecessary characters, which admittedly would be too grimdark for such a series. They're just saying, "WELL, if they aren't in the reboot mini-series then don't expect them to come back" which I suppose is fine too, because there really are far too many characters at this point.

20. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    They could have just pulled a Sonic '06 story arc and lead that into a hard reboot if they wanted. Though I believe Ian said to act like '06 already happened but then the Silver we have wouldn't make any sense.

So...Whatever.