don't click here

Saw this on E-bay

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chronix, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronix

Chronix

Hi I've been looking on your site for a while now learning about rom hacks and sonic history. and I thought id join and try to learn a bit more.

I saw this on E-bay, I don't know weather this is old news, I wondered if you knew any thing about it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8144490012&rd=1

2. I didn't know about this. Very interesting. Do you know about any other development kits? Oh yeah, and welcome to the forums.

3. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Those are on Ebay occasionally. Not rare, but not common. I would buy it, but due to lack of funds, I can't.

4. Chronix

Chronix

5. Galvatron

Galvatron

UK
    I can remember someone questioning one of those in a magazine. They replied saying that it helped them to take pictures of any Dreamcast game they wanted. I'm sure it can do a lot more than that though.

6. Kles

Kles

I'd buy it, but I have no clue how to develop DC stuff, and I can't afford it. Cool though.

7. voice

voice

Make any joke you want, you know I look good. Banned
    45mins west of Chicago
    RSN2.0, PHP:IRC (A attempt at CGI:IRC in PHP)
    Funny, I thought the games were built on normal pcs, not pc specificly made for the creation of software for a game system. I mean, I watched a behind the scenes thing for LOTR the game and all they did was hook up the PS2 to the pc via USB2. Oh well, you learn something new everyday ^_^ Buy it.

8. Skaarg

Skaarg

how much would this be in American dollars? This is very interesting, if I could I would buy one.

9. magraimon

magraimon

A superficial anomaly of the human psyche! Member
    156? =
    roughly 220$

10. Chronix

Chronix

Its the GD recorder that interests me, I always thought that it was just a Cd Rw and a special programme. but it says that its different hardware. I wonder what other differances to a pc there are.

11. magraimon

magraimon

I can imagine that the processor isn't your average consumer jobbie.. The mobo is probably designed with quality as opposed to performance in mind ( to prevent data failure at any point for any reason).
    Obviously, to be a DC dev.pc it would probably be able to run the games, so it probably has a dc emulator of kinds.. Coding software that's either been modified via plugin, or a specific software for DC coding.. 3d modeller possibly.. the list goes on, but for specific differences, hardware may be a little different, and you'd have software not normally availible, but other than that... PC :D

12. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Ok then, from this point on, I shall refer to it not as the DC Dev. Kit, but the DCPC, a spectical of lights and sound!

13. ChaotixTails

ChaotixTails

Custom title member Oldbie
    I've seen a few of those around... someone at one of the boards I frequent bought one, apparently, they're real. I'd buy one myself, but I somply don't live in the UK.

14. Chronix

Chronix

I'd buy one but I'm poor. ;)

So, in order to test dc games on the "DCPC" (thanks voice) it would need a DC emulator (as stated above). would this software be atuned to that DCPC or would it work on any PC?. If so I'll email they guy selling it and ask if he could make me a copy.

15. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    Id buy, but im in the US and have no cash. As for the emulator software, it really depends on the OS. If the DCPC had its own OS, I would think the emulator would be built for that OS only, to prevent pirating games and shit like that. Now if they used Linux or Windows perhaps you might have a chance.

16. magraimon

magraimon

It would most definitely be tuned to that dev pc's specific hardware.

17. Chronix

Chronix

Shame. Still, I'll email the seller and ask him about it, like, more on the specs, what OS it has (if any) and more importantly how he came about it. If you can think of any more either ask him your self or I'll do it.

18. magraimon

magraimon

Wouldn't be suprised if it had a linux of freebsd distro on it.
    Then again, actually... on the basis that the dreamcast uses windows ce.. it might use a form of windows... quite puzzling...

19. voice

voice

45mins west of Chicago
    There is no way that thing is using Linux. I don't believe most of the game makers of today would want to put up with all the compiling and configuring needed to install the game developement software. I still believe it had its very own OS. As for it using windows, im open to that suggestion, its possible they used M$'s help.

20. superstarCSB

superstarCSB

snootch Member
    Lawrence, Kansas
    I probably should get back to work on my site someday...
    If you look on a dreamcast, it says it runs with Windows CE, which is probably a developer's version of Windows.

EDIT: But of course magraimon already mentioned that, so my post was fairly pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.