don't click here

SonicGDK 1.30.000

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Xaklse, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Stop copying system files to everywhere; I'll take a deep look to this issue later. Just be patient for now.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Well, that worked. Thanks!

Also, sorry Xaklse, but it's too late. :v:

The engine is really fun to run around in but it feels a bit clunky. I think that's because of the footstep and landing sounds though. Besides that, it's really fun and I've been spending the past 30 or so minutes messing with it.

3. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Glad to see I could help :) DirectX can be a pain in the ass to get working sometimes but there's usually a work around.
    I'll give the engine a go next week sometime.

4. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Yeah the centering of my 360 pad is a bit bad, and it shows painfully in this demo with Sonic wanting to go to the left a lot.
    I also personally think that there should be an alternate player model to try this out with, as the current one kinda looks funky in some spots, imho. There should also be some more test environments, but rather than stapling them to the current engine test level, you should make a few more levels to choose, maybe some converted versions of past 3D Sonic levels to see how it all stacks up.

That's my $.02, but keep up the good work

5. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
    Speaking of levels.
    I ripped a few level packs and a few objects from Sonic Colors. They may not be past levels, but it's something.

pSweet Mountain
    Terminal Velocity
    Common Objects
    Gameland

They are all ready to be imported in Unreal, PSK for the format, PSA for the animations.
    On the off chance they don't import, they are some PSK/PSA
    Since most of Sonic Colors was '2D', or 2D.5, a lot of the models looks incomplete, but they are in fact, complete. After all, why model something that not going to be seen?

6. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    This release is freaking awesome. I can't remember how much time I wasted in this one, it's just so damn fun. This is 3D Sonic done right, there's no doubt in my mind.

Can't wait for the next release and the public code. This is a fantastic engine.

7. Felik

Felik

It says that d3dcompiler _43.dll can not be found :v:

I downloaded this dll file but no matter where I put it, SonicGDK says that it still can not be found. I tried windows folder, system, system32 and pretty much all the folders of GDK itself.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    People like to get all giddy about the toys this community puts out, with shit like "this is sooooo good Sonic Team should hire you because they suck so bad, LOLLL", but this is really the first project that actually deserves that kind of acclaim! This is a real game changer. I can't wait to see what comes of all this, even if we just get A:DR and some level ports and the rest is all garbage like this that outright ignores the strengths of the engine in favor of boosting, boosters and straight lines.

The mobius strip in the sky is my favorite part. Simply awesome.

9. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I know a lot of people here hate the stuff such as loops, corkscrews and the like being automated in the 3D games, but this game shows that without some automation you can very easily fall off the side of one, especially that corkscrew hovering a bottomless pit which would be a source for much raging in a modern Sonic game.

IMO Unleashed and Colors achieved the best compromise with the loops that weren't automated (there's a lot of them in Windmill Isle 2), Instead of completely locking your input and forcing Sonic down the loop like SA1/SA2/Heroes/etc they just do a seamless switch to 2D input mode and let the player have full control of sonic without being in danger of falling from the side.

10. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    "Very easily?" Are we playing the same game, here? Staying on loops is about as hard as spychecking as a Pyro in TF2.

Edit: Also, I tried out the gamepad controls with my 360 controller. Amazingly, it's actually playable with a gamepad, but still kinda inferior to the mouse and keyboard controls. The camera controls aren't as 'sensitive' as I feel they should be, and I echo the left stick deadzone complaints.

However, I found a hilariously nifty hybrid control scheme - hold the 360 controller in the left hand, and use the mouse with the right - you get stick movement with mouse camera controls, awesome. Unfortunately, like the PS3 Move+regular controller setup, it's rather awkward to use as you have to hold the controller with one hand. And you can't use the special moves, only jump and spin.

There needs to be some kind of peripheral for the PC like the Wii's nunchuck, I swear. Or maybe I could simply get the Razer Hydra when it comes out.

11. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Staying on loops in this is a lot easier than it is in BlitzSonic but it's still kind of squirrelly without some practice.

I still think having scooped/concave loops is the way to go, assuming the physics engine supports it. It would naturally pull the player towards the center of the loop track strictly through the forces of inertia.

12. Felik

Felik

So nobody has this problem except me?

13. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Have you tried reinstalling the DX runtime? What OS are you using?

14. Felik

Felik

I'm using Windows XP.
    But I'll try to reinstall DX :v:

15. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.

Well, easily is an exaggeration, but I fell off the place two+ times because I overcompensated because I thought I was gonna fall :v:.

Someone pointed out about loops and corkscrews being concave, that could work very well.

16. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    It seems to be fixed now, cheers!

I installed more recent drivers for my graphics card this week, and the problem went away, so forget about this (which you probably did already). :v:

17. Tiranno

Tiranno

Steveosaurus Rex Member
    Was awful....ly fun. This engine reminds me of how Sonic can and should be done in 3D. The restricted on-rails Sonic Unleashed/Colors formula is a reason I have low expectations for future Sonic games. This is a nice hybrid. Good work!

18. The XBox360 gamepad is really sensitive... I have a solution for that, please try it:
    1. Open DefaultInput.ini file of ...\SonicGDK\UDKGame\Config folder.
    2. Search for "GBA_MoveForward_Gamepad" word.
    3. Set "Deadzone" to 0.25, so that the entire line would look like:
    .Bindings=(Name="GBA_MoveForward_Gamepad",Command="Axis aBaseY Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.25")
    4. Above that line there is a line which starts with the dot character instead of ";", it has "GBA_StrafeLeft_Gamepad" and "aTurn2" words.
    5. Set the deadzones to 0.25, so that the entire line would look like:
    .Bindings=(Name="GBA_StrafeLeft_Gamepad",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.25 | Axis aTurn2 Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.25")
    6. Save, close and play.

I coded that (easy to do) and after playing with it I decided to remove it; it's an ability that allowed some exploits when combined with other movements and the momentum physics.

Next time try to send me the log file :v: ( ...\SonicGDK\UDKGame\Logs\Launch.log ).

The XBOX 360 Controller Emulator is your friend then (search for "x360ce"). Extract it into the ...\SonicGDK\Binaries\Win32 folder.

Not gonna happen, too much work already.

Did you try the DX reinstall?

Hmmm, that's a really good idea... concave loops wouldn't pull the player though, I might try to code a solution for that.

I thought it was a problem of your graphics card because I assumed you would have the drivers up-to-date. My mistake.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    So, wait... you're saying it's a pain in the ass to build new levels for your engine?

20. Felik

Felik

He is saying that SonicGDK is to show off engine. Not to make a game for you.