don't click here

Pirate Sonic Colours DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    I bought Sonic Colours a few weeks ago from ebay, happy beacuse it was pretty cheap.
    http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT this was the auction I won.
    As you can see, the game is perfectly normal, despise the seller says it is USA instead of UK.
    But when I received the game at my mailbox... this was what I got:

( pretty regular PAL sonic colours, isn't it?)
    [​IMG]

...it is not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the manual text is a review from IGN!!

This is a fucking pirate!!

The game itself, looks like a regular dump of the EUR rom, so I doubt it is interesting to dump or crack it open, but maybe the booklet and cover could be interesting to add to the wiki at the pirates section. I can photograph it if you want ( sorry but I don't have any scanner)

Also, the seller refounded my money, but wants to have the game back. I don't want to pay any posting charges for it, so I told him/her to pay me the posting charges and then I would send the item back. He/she hasn't replied back, and now I have a nice sanction on ebay for not paying the item ( what the fuck? I payed it, only got refounded, but the seller didn't mark the item as paid at first..maybe beacuse he/she knew it was a pirate and wanted to fuck me off?)
    The seller said he/she had bought them at CEX stores in UK...and that he/he didn't know much about games and didn't know this was a pirate, but I seriously doubt it, beacuse ...it has fucking wii screenshots at the backcover! even if you don't know about games, you can tell it is NOT from the DS version! Also, the seller has sold lots of copies of the game at ebay. I've seen at least 5 of them sold. and that's only sonic colours...he/she sells them very cheap, so I doubt they're original. Also, he/she keep selling sonic colours games at ebay, even knowing they are pirates.

http://cgi.ebay.es/Sonic-Colours-DS_W0QQit...1QQcmdZViewItem

And many other DS games which I bet are pirates too.

Se be carefull with what you but off ebay...

Also, I bougth an original Sonic colours DS form CEX spain yesterday. It's totally different from that one, the cart label is different, the booklet is different, and the back cover is different. also, when I first bother the game, a "creating game save" prompted on screen, which did not happen with the pirate copy ( who also, did not boot the firts two or three times I tried, only boots if I press B while it is loading).

I accorded with the seller to not to leave negative feedback if he/she refounded, and she said that I would have to send the game back. I've got his/her adress and name, so I could even call the police. Also, told Ebay about this. I want to post a negative feedback on his/her votes, but I'm waiting to what ebay has to say.

2. FuzzballFox

FuzzballFox

Hmmmmm Member
    UK - Hampshire
    Nothing anymore
    CEX eh? Sure...

I would take this further with Ebay...that's the best advice I can give.

3. Oh wow, that's hilarious. Before reading your clarification of the manual text, I was wondering what sort of game would tell the player that no boss would take more than a few minutes...

4. Not as great as the pirated version of the Avatar game that comes with a review calling the game terrible instead of actual instructions

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    well, this one says "sonic games have been pretty bad recently, but this one is better"

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Not gonna lie, that's pretty funny.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    There's a series of these. I think it's all a single manufacturer. They seem to have a lot in common. They use those plastic clear boxes. The manuals are all printed on glossy ink -- in fact it actually ends up looking nicer for Pokemon HG -- but since the manuals are just a tiny bit too big they don't look right; in addition the cover printing is a pretty shoddy, blurry job typical of pirated merchandise. As you noted, the text in the manuals is always from an IGN review; at least it's something in English and not pidgin.

They're all over eBay at low prices; quite frankly I'd just avoid buying from anyone who's in Hong Kong selling DS games (which is where most of them seem to come from). Pretty much none of them seem to be legit.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'd buy one as long as I knew it was a pirate beforehand, just for curiosity's sake.

9. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Well, they go for really cheap compared to legit carts, so you wouldn't be out (and you'd come out ahead, arguably, if it turned out to be legit).

10. Hawkz

Hawkz

That's pretty messed up considering all the shit that people get in for eBay.

Don't pay the postage fee. Keep the game. Give the finger.

Fuck that guy and his liar ass. Don't know why he seems to think people would be stupid enough to believe some guy who doesn't know shit about DS games has gone and bought 5+ of them and reselling them on eBay. He is probably dumb as dog shit anyway. Yeah, keep the money and the game. He won't do shit anyways.... as if be stupid enough to raise a complaint to eBay about how a customer refuses to pay shipping for counterfiet entertainment merchandise.

11. SEGAMew

SEGAMew

The Obsessive One Member
    Cosmic Interstate
    Eddie Lebron's Sonic FanFilm Concept Art
    Just in case you didn't know, you are not obligated to ship back counterfeit merchandise in order to get your refund. I have received refunds a few times in bootleg related auctions before. Granted eBay had to step in becausE SOME people don't like to own up to breaking eBay policies. My most difficult case was with the guy who was selling Sonic 10th anniversary wineglass replicas. I won out in the end though... After alerting SEGA of his shenanigans.

But yes, bootleggers are not within their rights to make you send something fake back to them. EBay actually advises that all bootlegs to be disposed of.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Those particular boxes are the standard for Europe. The giveaway is that he said "This game is for a DS or DSLITE only, I am not sure if it will work on a DSI as I do not know much about consoles! So DSI users DO NOT BUY!".

13. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    Wait, what sort of boxes do they have outside of Europe? o_O

14. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    From what US DS boxes I have, the US ones are black and slightly thinner than the EUR ones.

15. dsrb

dsrb

Yeah, I got a copy of the fairly rare Tetris DS that was one of those. Luckily it was a private seller who gave me a refund and seemed pretty clueless about it all.

This. That's a dead giveaway that the game is pirated, since the DSi has lock-out measures. The sellers are covering their asses; I suppose noticing that a game doesn't work on your console is a bit easier than noticing that the manual is a hilariously obvious fake (and the cartridge is a bit too large). :rolleyes:

16. QUESTION: Does the game work and is it the same as a normal copy? Cause if I bought one for that price I wouldnt really care so long as the game worked, but if you're a collector I can see it being a big deal

17. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Yes, it does work, or at least, it boots and runs. I've not played enough to see if it saves. But you have to press B while it is loading, or it will freeze and not start at all ( between then you choose the game name at the DS menu and the game starts) .
    I only tried it on DS and DS lite.
    Also, it is slower to boot than the original one.

And yes, It's a big deal to me beacuse I'm a collector, I could have played this months ago when it came out at my flascart, but didn't beacuse I like to play games I know I will like, like this one, directly on original hardware. I only use the flashcart for homebrew and for trying games I don't know If I'm going to like before buying them.

18. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace

You're Under Arrest, okay? Member
    Santiago, Chile
    Sonic Paradise.net - Noticias de Sonic en Español (Yes, the "Ñ" will rule the world).
    Hi Ash, I see that the problem isn't solved yet. Do what you said at the Reikai forums and let Sega knows about this.

19. dsrb

dsrb

I would probably demand a refund out of principle. While buyers should be wary, especially regarding listings that are very cheap (“If it seems too good to be true…”), are located in Hong Kong, etc.—unless the listing specifically says “This is as cheap as it is because it's a pirate (and a shite one, at that)”, I would expect a genuine original copy. Obviously you should check the seller's feedback too, although that may not be much help since often the pirates have hundreds of positive feedbacks left by oblivious buyers.

In my case, it was a private auction by someone who didn't know any better (probably one of the aforementioned oblivious buyers), so that was forgivable.

20. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Spain
    Yes, I'm going to do so Jack.
    The seller is located at UK, so I thought it would be legit.
    also, look at what the seller has just sent me:
    This is surreal, he/she is the one who has scammed me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.