don't click here

Sonic 2K6 2D - The Last/Lost Version

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by BlazeHedgehog, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    You could've just explained that this was an effort to convert Nextgen into a good 2D game instead of a bad 3D one. :P

+ - but then the 'Sonic's only good in 2D' would rise, so I see why that road wouldn't be taken  

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    It's an okay remake, my only disappointment is that the loading times were not faithful to the original game.

3. I remember this!

I had no hopes for Sonic 2006, and for some reason after playing the original version of this, I was hyped. ..Bastard! :P

In all seriousness though, this is weird. It's fun but it doesn't really play like a 2D Sonic game, it really does feel more like 3D Sonic in 2D, although that's probably (almost certainly) the intention. Wish you were finishing this up, I just played it with my 360-PC pad and had more fun with it in 20 minutes than I did with Sonic 2006 at all !

Cutscene was sort of cool too, the only thing I could suggest if you were to make changes (which I don't think you are) would be to use the audio from the 3D cutscene and remove the text-boxes. Well, either that or put the cutscene in a window and make it super pixelated ala. Sonic CD's opening on the hardware.

4. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Ew, I wouldn't want to use the audio from the real thing. Part of the reason I decided to redo the cutscene like that so many years ago was because I "thought I could do better". Which is a stupid prospect in and of itself, but hey, fresh wounds and all that.

5. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    I love the development in this game, nicely done:)

6. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ok so I figured out how to change the control settings by pressing ctrl+y in the settings menu. BUT, after I change everything and then save I try to play the game with my changed control settings and it reverts back to the default settings.

How can I change it so it stays at the control settings I want it?

7. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

You can't. Blame MMF! If it let you save key binds, I would've made that option more obvious.

One could write their own key bind function from scratch, but that requires developing the game with that feature in mind. Going back through and converting everything to use that system after the fact is extremely tedious. And, as I mentioned, the source to this game is kind of a mess.

My apologies.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Its ok, because I found a work-around!

Turns out the same option for the settings in settings.exe is in the game as well. pressing ctrl+y sends you to the change controls screen. But its not a permanent fix as the settings go back to default everytime you close the screen. but it works while your playing and thats good enough for me.

Again, great fangame and I'am sad that you are no longer are continuing it I think this one fangame could've out-trumped all of sonic2k6.

Ever thought of just making this open source?

9. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    [​IMG]
    I seriously cannot believe that people use ctrl, alt or space for legitimate main game controls. Z X C V are all readily available and won't be bad based on what kind of keyboard you have (My ctrl key sticks if you push it on the side, the space bar hardly presses on the sides).

10. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

You're right, I should have fixed that. I didn't actually know that I could set up the default keyboard binds to be something different and actually have that save. It also looks like, digging deeper in to the subject, it might even be easier for me to make keyboard controls re-bind-able with MMF's scripting.

In my defense, however, I playtested 99% of the game with a gamepad. These sorts of games pretty much require a gamepad, and people who develop fangames using keyboards are probably doing it wrong. I can't imagine not having a gamepad for my PC, and given how many PC games these days straight up recommend a controller (given that most of them are being ported from consoles), everyone should probably have a PC compatible gamepad lying around at this point.

I, personally, use a Dualshock-2-to-USB adapter that cost me about $12. Both Wii remotes and PS3 Dualshock 3's use bluetooth, and have third-party Windows drivers. If your PC doesn't already have bluetooth, bluetooth-to-USB adapters are seriously like $5-$10.

11. infinity

infinity

The art looks very nice and an excellent recreation, but why the advance sprite? god I really hate the advance sprites.

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

What's wrong with the Sonic Advance sprites?

13. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    They're really really really tiny for the screen resolution you have.

(oh and this was pretty fun. But levels were rather short though, particularly White Acropolis. But I enjoyed having control over the snowboard, unlike Sonic 3)

It's a shame you won't finish this, I don't have an HD console and would love to play a finished version of 06.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    If there were upscaled versions of the Advanced sprites, that would be absolute awesome.

Also, your character animations are poetry in motion. Beautiful, beautiful.

15. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Not really that tiny. He's what, 5 pixels shorter than Genesis Sonic? He's big enough that it's not an issue, especially considering all of the enemies and whatnot are proportioned to him. It's not like I'm using Genesis Crabmeat. :P

16. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    Now that the Sonic Cycle is dead, I propose a new universal law to Sonic fandom:

No fan game or hack will ever be finished, period, no exceptions. Let's give it a creative name =D

:(

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Sonic Classic is going to be finished soon.... :ssh:

18. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Some fangames have been finished!

Sonic Time Attacked, for one. I think SRB2's singleplayer component is technically considered to be "done" at this point, though it seems like they're still working on the game - I haven't kept up with SRB2, to be honest.

In addition to Sonic Classic being almost done, it's been implied that Sonic Axiom is almost finished, too. I also tested a very close-to-finished beta version of Sonic Rebirth back in September or October.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Out of how many that have been started :rolleyes:

20. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

Yeah, because it's easy to start something like that. Just recently, Alex Neuse of Gaijin Games (The Bit.Trip series) made the call that there needs to be less unfinished indie games. This isn't something that plagues the Sonic scene alone.

Or even gaming.

The amount of webcomics people have started vs. the amount of webcomics people have stuck with probably numbers in the hundreds of thousands. Likewise, hit up Newgrounds and you see an awful lot of flash movies end with "Continued in Part 2", even though Part 1 was uploaded four years ago.

When you have people who do this as a hobby, that's what happens. They enter the phase of, "I'm gonna do X" and then never follow through with Y and Z because they quickly become distracted by the next flavor-of-the-month.

Them's the breaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.