don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I thought it was you saxman!

That level editor is very pretty, and I'm glad the HD crew have that at their disposal.

2. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Is that going to be the final interface we'll be using? TBH it seems a bit of a long-winded way of adding/changing the tiles.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That's what I've been using for quite some time now and it gets the job done. I'm sure there will be stuff added later that helps streamline things further if necessary.

4. Endgame

Endgame

I was thinking we could have a scrollable pop-out menu [via the right click?] of all the tiles displayed at once (perhaps a large square grid full of tiles, to which moving to its edges will scroll it along [or as shown - assuming here - the middle button; but then how will laptops deal with that?]).

It's just an idea, anyway.

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    This. This right here. Until the alpha has been released and has been playtested on a variety of systems, we can't give the kind of estimates you're after.

And yes, 3D hardware is part of the engine S2HD functions on. I just recently listed why this is the case, per the large textures being used in all the artwork. Just because a game is 2D doesn't mean it won't use 3D hardware -- many of the shaders and effects that S2HD will make use of are built on the capabilities of modern graphics cards.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I was curious about how the waterfall looks animated from the screenshots, so I snipped it out of the trailer, used some rubbish image editing skills in Game Maker's sprite editor, and created this:
    [​IMG]
    Neat, eh? I think that is lovely and also true to the original at the same time.

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    You can get a 1080p monitor right now for like 120 bucks. Beyond that though, it was pretty easy to get a 1600x1200 CRT back in the day.

The solution for 4:3 is simple. Crop the sides of the 16:9 display. It's not rocket science, and it basically just restores the view to how it is in the originals.

8. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    I don't particularly want to join in in the aspect ratio arguments as I feel they'd be better addressed much later in the development process, cropping the 16:9 game would result in wonkiness if the bosses were re-designed for 16:9, as I remember was commonly discussed a while back.

9. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Cropping won't always work because some of the boss battles are designed with the width of the screen in mind. However, while it would probably be really difficult, they could try to have both a 4:3 mode and a 16:9 mode where the level design is adjusted to those aspect ratios.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Or....scale the window to the current aspect ratio and crop accordingly.

And DW...I know how much an HD monitor is. Still doesn't change the fact that some of us can't afford one right now, nor in the immediate future.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Agreed. The next thing I'll possibly be getting for my PC is a faster CPU - not to mention a new graphics card; I'd love a new monitor as well, but I think my CPU needs sorting out first. At the moment a new monitor is out of the question (unless suddenly monitors go to rock-bottom prices); besides, I might wait until OLED monitors become pretty cheap, but that will be a long, LONG wait.

12. zemulii

zemulii

Hooo boy. You've got that right. I wouldn't recommend waiting THAT long :). Still, I think 1080p monitors already are at rock bottom prices.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'm going to try connecting my laptop to the ol' 1080p TV. That'll sort it out.

14. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Sonic 2 HD GameGear edition anyone? :specialed: That was what I instantly thought of...

Or that some of us don't want to buy a new piece of hardware for one game. :colbert: I don't have that much money in my bank account right now and I'm saving up for other things.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    To be honest though, a 1920x1080 monitor is a decent upgrade anyway if you only have a 1280x1024 or 1024x768 monitor. Plus most graphics cards now have dual inputs - when I got my new monitor I just plugged it straight in and now run dual screen.

16. Granville

Granville

US
    I'm running on a laptop which supports up to 1366x768. And for the foreseeable future, I won't have access to a 1080p TV or monitor (they're currently in storage and we're at an apartment until we get our new house). I'd think that I'd still be able to enjoy the new sprites and clean graphics even though I wouldn't be running at full 1080p. I'm just wondering if there will be ANY sort of option for running at lower resolution, downscaling, cropping, or whatever. Is this something that will even be possible to play or resize on a TV or monitor that doesn't support full 1080p?

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Resize. That's the word you're looking for. Everything should be resized to retain the 16:9 aspect ratio on whatever resolution you want to use.

18. Granville

Granville

US
    Aye, that's what I meant. So I take it that it will be available? Thanks for the info. It would just have been a shame if the game could ONLY be played at 1080p. There's a lot of people who still have HD monitors but not the full 1080p kind. And IMO, there are more merits to this game now than just the HD aspect. The new level and character art is fantastic, along with smoother animation.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Well I dunno. I'm not a staff member. I'm just saying what makes sense.

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Any chance we'll get more screenshots before the alpha release? Screenshots after would kinda be pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.