don't click here

Wii homebrew problem

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Rika Chou, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    So I was trying to softmod my sisters Wii. Everything seemed to go well, but when I am running homebrew (NES and MD emu) I randomly get either a frozen screen, or a screen with the message "Exception (DSI) occurred!" followed by a lot of numbers and a Stack Dump.

This happens randomly while running both of these emulators, nothing in particular seems to trigger it. Sometimes it will before I can even boot a ROM, or sometimes I can play for a while before it happens.

Any ideas? I think the Wii is running the latest official firmware.

Edit: I used BootMii to restore my wii to the point right after I installed the HBC, and it's still doing it.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    If you're running those from an SD card, try running it through Scandisk. That usually works for me.

3. Peruant

Peruant

Just dropping in through gaps Member
    I had that happen to me a few times. I figured why not just delete the homebrew and DL again. The errors will randomly occur at times, but it's nothing to worry about.

If you're trying to backup the NAND on your Wii, do it then reformat the card after you backup everything. Works for me. If a stack dump occurs, then just press the reset button and it should kick you back into the HBC or system menu.

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    These errors occur too much so that it's not really possible to play anything for more than 5 minutes max.

Also I checked the SD card and found no errors, and it seems to happen also when I try running homebrew from a USB stick. :(

Edit: I don't think it has to do with the storage device.

Edit 2: I think I have it sorted out. I think it had to do with me having the latest firmware, fixed some things and it seems to be working better now.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
  6. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    This problem just sort of cleared up over time for me. I hear reformatting your SD card can help.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'd try running a defrag on the card before reformatting it.

8. SwissCM

SwissCM

All defragging an SD card would do is reduce it's lifespan.

9. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It's better and faster to backup the contents of your SD card, format, and copy back. Defragging has too many write operations to be a good idea.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    There's a tool specialized for formatting an SD card. It was made by either Phillips or Panasonic, I think. I'll have a link to it by tomorrow, I'm kinda tired now.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I don't think the problem was the SD card. The problem persisted while running from multiple SD cards, and even a USB drive. The problem mostly went away when I patched the right things for the latest official update. (like I should have done in the first place)

The problem still happens a little, but usually only when I'm running a NES emulator.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I dunno. It just happens, sometimes. Happens to me too, and I formatted my SD cards correctly (they're Wii branded too).

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    So this problem has been happening to me on recent days, and turns out that just reinstalling the cIOS fixed everything.

Did you use Genesis Plus DX before the problem started? I'm suspecting that there might be a bug in it that corrupts the cIOS somehow, under certain conditions. I'm asking because, after being without any problems for a while, they started again right after having some problems with Genesis Plus.