don't click here

Boss Run ROM

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Knux13, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    Has anyone created a boss run hack for S3K, or any of the other Genesis games?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I searched around and didn't find anything.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles, no.

Sonic 1 and 2, yes. <a href="http://info.sonicretro.org/Robotnik's Revenge" target="_blank" style="background: url(http://info.sonicretro.org/images/5/50/Reticon.png) right no-repeat; padding-right: 20px; border-bottom: 1px dotted #3366BB; color: #3366BB; cursor:pointer; text-decoration:none;" class="wiki">Robotnik's Revenge</a>

3. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    There's also the Sonic 1 SAGE edition boss attack, but its only sonic 1.
    Come to think of it, I would love to see a boss rush game with all genesis games, with the boss attack music from Sonic 1 SAGE edition.

4. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I loved Robotnik's Revenge a lot more than I thought I would, so yeah all four original games sounds like it'd be fun.
    I wonder where this boss rush would take place?

5. Knux13

Knux13

Member since May 19, 2002 Banned
    If I knew more about ROM hacking I'd embark to make this myself, but all I can offer are ideas and a willingness to learn.

I think S3K bosses would be way more fun, because of character variety and boss complexity. Also the fact that there are more bosses.

It'd make sense to have the thing take place in Death Egg, like Robotnik's Revenge (awesome ROM—beat it twice already).

If playing as Sonic alone, Knuckles' MZ boss should present, as I always thought it should have in S3K. And with the simple addition of a wall or two, Knuckles could fight Doomsday's boss.

You could have time attack and survival like in RR, plus perhaps a "shield mode" where you can choose a shield between levels.

That's my two cents. I really want to see this happen, hopefully someone will be inspired by this thread. If they are, I offer my resources, though it would seem the whole thing would be more about technical skill in ROM hacking than anything else.

6. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Didn't ColinC10 put the S3K boss run in his The Challenges ROM?

7. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    No.

8. I liked playing Robotnik's Revenge, but after the SAGE boss rush, the Sonic 2 physics seem really off to me. Hopefully any hypothetical boss hack uses S3K.

In Tiddles' Sonic 3 Complete, he fixed the sprite errors on Knuckles and Tails in Doomsday when selected with level select + debug. Both were always fully playable.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Part of me always thought that if Knuckles made it into Doomsday Zone, his gliding sprite would work better than his running sprite. Conversely, Tails' full speed running animation is perfect.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wasn't that edit made in the Sonic 3 Complete hack?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.