don't click here

Sonic games refuse to work on 64-bit?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RGamer2009, Jan 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I just got a new 64-bit computer this Christmas, and I figured today I would try to play some Sonic R on it.

I tried to install it, and it said it was 32-bit software and wasn't 64-bit compatible.

I was like "Mk, whatever." So I tried to install another 32-bit game that wasn't Sonic onto it, Roller Coaster Tycoon.

It worked. I was baffled. So I kept testing games to see if it was the 32-bit issue or that it was a Sonic game issue.

All the non-Sonic games worked fine. Even ridiculously old ones.

So I had this notion. All the Sonic software I had tried up to this point had the Expert Software logo on it. I tried an OLDER version of Sonic 3D Blast I had kept over the years that wasn't by Expert.

It WORKED. So all this has lead me to one conclusion...

Something in the Expert versions of the Sonic PC games are keeping them from being played on 64-bit systems.

The question is why only those games?

2. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Ok, since I have no technical knowledge I could be talking out of my ass here :specialed: .

It could be that the EXEs were modified to include a copy protection scheme that is not compatible with x64 versions of Windows, I know for example that 2004-2005 versions of the StarForce DRM don't run on x64 versions of Windows making the games unplayable unless you crack it.

3. 16-bit programs won't work directly in 64-bit Windows. That may be your problem.

Either way, you should look into setting up a Win98 VM for old games like that.

4. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    A lot of (old) installation software are 16-bit. And like Hendricks already said, 16-bit software can't be executed on Windows 64-bit.

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Sonic R isn't compatible with new OS's.

6. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    If you're using windows 7 just download windows XP mode and use that. It's emulated so video drivers etc are software based but there should be enough power to play Sonic R and 3D.

7. That only works if you have Ultimate or Professional though.

I have Home Premium.

8. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Correction, download VirtualBox(OSE if you want) and grab an XP install disc, install, install guest additions, enable CD drive passthrough, set seamless mode, insert CD, install, play, give me money, ????? PROFIT. (But yeah, that should work up until those last three steps :P)

9. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    This is one reason why I don't want to bother with a new computer right now. And there is no way I make enough money to even cover the cost of the ultimate version of Windows 7 with a new custom bulit all-purpose computer.

Considering some of the games I've played (Half-Life) have CD quality music in their old CD-ROM versions compared to the download only version that won't let you swap in better files.

10. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You can swap out the music files all you want. Just put new MP3 files in the directory.

11. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Steam tends to overwrite them. I've actually tried it.

12. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

Set them to read only. Steam can't update over them if they are.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Unless you jump through a series of hoops involving EXE patching and DxWnd...

14. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    You have to look for the actual installer in the game's CD. The one that opens automatically doesn't work.
    Took me no more than ten minutes to find it on my Expert Sonic 3 and Knuckles collection, and when I actually installed it the game worked perfectly.

15. Alright, I did that and the game did install, but now it gives me this error message:

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    <a href='index.php?showtopic=18490'>Your computer is so fast, it divides by 0.</a>

17. Could there be a way to possibly patch the .exe so it would fix this issue permanently?

Also my monitor HATES 640 by 480 resolution. Is there a way around that?

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Change the lines above the ------ to match the lines below it with a hex editor.

And no, but you're likely to have no controls anyway unless you use DxWnd (requires you to use DirectDraw mode).

19. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    You could try using 3Danalyze to force windowed mode, and if the game has a D3D8 renderer then you can force it into windowed mode or any resolution you want with a custom d3d8/9.dll file.
    D3D8 to D3D9 converter courtesy of the guy who created ENBSeries, and a custom d3d9.dll which allows you to put whatever resolution you want.

20. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I understand that 640x480 is too old but not supporting it is stupid. Do you mean it gets stretched or the monitor gets genuinely fucked up?

Not like I can help on this, I'm just curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.