don't click here

Sonic 2 Enhancement Theory

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mr Lange, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    The idea to make this came into my head a few weeks ago, and I decided to give it a try.
    In making it, I was able to test out a few of my own graphics theories, and it has worked better than I thought it would.

The idea started out simple. I would record gameplay (using input recording) of a level in some Genesis game, naturally I inclined towards Sonic. After recording gameplay of Hill Top Zone, I would render separate video files. Each one is lossless and renders only one of the drawing layers. In this case, I separated the background, foreground, and sprites.

Then in After Effects, I converted the solid color backgrounds to transparent. Thus I had a legitimate composite to work with and lots of flexibility. I started experimenting and came out with some nice bloom simulation, enhanced backdrop, and even filtered motion blur into the video.

Thanks to someone awesome here on Retro, I was shown what hex to edit to disable the music in the Sonic games, so I was able to render the sound effects separately as well. I remastered the sounds, added whole new ones, and rendered this with my own remastered version of Hill Top's theme, all designed with the animation in mind.

After some satisfying renders, I went a step further and started adding my own visual effects to the video. For this to work I had to do a lot of tedious, manual camera animation. Maybe there's a better way. =___=
    After many rerenders and sorting out little mistakes, I end up with a really interesting gameplay video lol. I learned quite a bit making this and will be applying the knowledge to future projects.

This really begs a question though. Considering we have, you know, full access to the Sega Genesis drawing mechanisms and all the graphics within the Sonic roms, and are also able to access position registers and what not, couldn't some kind of post processing pipeline be integrated into an emulator? I would sure like to see the original Sonic games with bloom and vector blur lol.

And now the video in question. Please give your feedback on the video itself and what other ideas you may have.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I like what I see :o

3. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Well it's not exactly something I'd play... The motion blur will no doubt give me a headache after a while, and the bloom is a bit overdone.

The smoke/dust you added are a nice subtle touch, none the less. Video definitely shows you've had some fun playing with After Effects.

Being a big After Effects user myself, I'm curious though: Did you added the bloom by duplicating the layer(s), blurring it and set its mode to Screen?
    I'm also curious how you did the motion blur too..

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    The bloom is a tad much but the other effects are all very tasteful and I think S2HD is going to steal alot of your ideas =P

5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    It's nice in its own right, but the Bloom is way unnecessary and the random periods of background blurring just didn't do it for me. The whole thing looks a little (pardon the phrase) filter raped and takes away the cartoony fun-ness of the original Sonic 2 art style.

I do like the attention you put into things like the light pouring through the break-away floor and sparks coming from breaking ring boxes, though. They are indicative of the amount of effort you put into it.

All in all, what you're going for is beautiful, but it certainly doesn't belong in a game of this caliber in my opinion. The mix of 16-bit and modern visual styles clash just a little too much.

If you wanted to really bring out the potential of this idea, and it has a LOT of potential, you would probably have to fix up the graphics to match the sort of effects styles you've implemented. Things like an antialiased, shiny title and score screen would be relatively simple to create, but would help to streamline the visuals a lot.

6. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I did two different things for bloom.
    On the foreground layer, I used Stylize>Glow, set it to white, then used the same alpha map that masks the image over the glow. That way the glow wouldn't spill over the edges (similar to the "inner" setting for glow in other progams, strangely absent from AE), giving the effect of a very bright sky. I also used a mild Glow filter on the semi-final composite, for color bleeding. I animated both glow filters to zero effect when Sonic enters the caves.

As for motion blur, used Time>Timewarp filter. With pixel motion turned on, it attempts to interpolate frames. The effect has its own motion blur filter, which I used separately on the foreground and sprite layers. At 60 fps, the motion blur is a lot more effective, but the render time was frustrating, resulting in the semi-final composite taking over three hours to render.

7. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Interesting. Personally, I would've played a little with the Levels, so only the extremely bright colors contain some bloom.

Ah cool, good to know. Thanks!

So... any plans for more videos? I'm sure something terrific could be done with the Emerald Hill Zone sunflower field. ;)

8. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I feared I did overdo the bloom, but I was also concerned anything less would be too unnoticeable, and might as well not have been added. The background blurring was not random. It was indicating the transitions in and out of the cave. Did you notice the music changes along with it?

I was concerned this would be viewed as just goofing off with AE filters, but I'm happy to see people notice this took competent effort. I did put a lot of work and detail into it. I know better not to be another one of these.

I do greatly respect the original aesthetic quality of the games, but if everyone had a mentality of "just don't mess with it", Sonic Retro would just be another site to argue about Sonic 4.

I did want to anti alias the graphics but could not figure out how. : (

Thanks for your critique.

9. Screwdriver

Screwdriver

Get it? A sonic screwdriver? Member
    Timey-Wimey detector.
    Oh, I actually didn't notice the change in music until I watched a second time. I like that a lot.

I think the blur could've been moved to a bit later in the transition, though. Just as it's fading out would be subtle and sleek at the same time.

10. I LIKED THIS.

The sounds were more distinct, the blur was well done, the dust looks awesome, the light going into the cave was AWESOME, and the music changing to a more deep echoy tone in the cave WAS GENIUS.

I approve of all this, especially in S2HD.

11. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Yeah I probably should have clamped the brighter areas lol.
    I did not plan to do this for any other stages or games. This was mostly an experiment to hone some skills and test ideas. For everthing else I dream of, I expect Sonic 2 HD to fill the bill.

Eeeeh maybe. I really like how it is now though.

Thank you very much.

12. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    I really like it, personally. It has a very smooth look to it. I'd love if Sonic 2 HD stole some ideas from this. The blur and dust are awesome, and the bloom, while sometimes ovverbearing, is a nice touch.

13. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Thanks. Sonic 2 HD is free to steal from this all it wants. : D

14. Steven M

Steven M

It's like if they 'remastered' Sonic 2 for the PlayStation 3

15. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    [​IMG]

I certainly appreciated the addition of new sounds to accentuate the action. Sound is arguably the most underrated facet of entertainment media, but you did such a good job that I noticed it and liked what I heard. The visual effects of the sparks and the dust trails are skillfully subtle and very well placed.

Also, excellent gameplay. I never thought to spindash while waiting for the orbinaut to fall and getting that timed dash upon hitting flat ground. Now I must try it.

16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Regarding the blur in and out of the cave, it seems to me that in real life when you suddenly go from a dark place into a light one, you're essentially blinded for a moment while your eyes adjust to the light. Could something like this work, have the brightness excessively high and everything nearly pure white temporarily, and have that fade back to normal colors? On a related note, the inside could be too dark for the first few moments that you're in the cave.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    With those new sound effects, the slight motion blur, and the bloom lighting, I can't help but be reminded of LittleBigPlanet. =P

Not a bad thing at all, though. It's actually pretty cool.

18. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    Thanks.
    Can't blame that fact about sound though, I would rather see a good animation silent than a good animation with crap sound. Sound is my best subject, so I always do a 110% job on anything sound related.

The spindash trick appears to be an overlooked quirk in Sonic 2. I also hilariously exploited it in S2 Retro Remix, seen here.

19. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Now this I like. A lot.

So many little things put into it ... it looks great!

20. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

The Land of Waldos
    I considered this and almost did it. I changed my mind because the transition would have been too messy without using a series of masking effects. The background blur is meant as refocusing the camera, not necessarily light exposure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.