don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks for the reply RubyEclipse.
    Hoping you enjoyed the trailer, it's really encouraging to read your feedback as a Sonic fan!
    The actual demo will be the result of a very hard, dedicate and passionate work. Aiming to create a game which will reach the heart of all those "Classic" Sonic fans we too belong. :)

Cheers, and waiting for your feedback on the demo!

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks for that, Ruby. While it's a lot of work, I have to say that it's been a lot of fun working on this project. I've actually been around here since it started, but I didn't make an account and get involved until a year later so it was really awesome to me that I got in and could work with everyone. Aside from that the rest has already been covered by my mates, so I'll just say that I plan on doing the best job I can of bringing the stages to life and making them all work the way they should.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Just noticed, Knuckles isn't in the title screen. Is he going to be added properly, or is he going to be an optional feature? Or at all?

4. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I'm sure everything will be handled with more care in the future. I think we should forgive the team here who were only trying to ignite some interest in the project with an emphasis (in retrospect) on other parts of the gaming community where the screenshots/trailer were met with an extremely positive response. I think for us we were impatient and wanted something playable. For most though the assets released were probably the first instance in which they had even seen the project so in that sense the Sega-style marketing could be seen as a success.

Also: is there any way I can possibly be part of this project? I have skills in writing (used to be a writer for TeamXbox.com) and level design and would love to be involved somehow. Any particular staffing needs still available?

PS. I think it's fucking awesome that RubyEclipse showed up here (a Sega staff member) wishing us all the best with the project when you have companies like Square Enix firing cease and desists left, right and centre like their lives depended on it. Kudos Aaron.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea more or less. We had a shitstorm of pages chastising that fact already, and I don't feel like smelling it again. Sonic 4 Propaganda hurrdurr. Let's move on, shall we?

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Perhaps they could use the title screen as a character select screen as in Sonic & Knuckles?

Pressing left or right could be used to cycle the characters inside the circle between Sonic & Tails, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles... or just toggle "Knuckles in Sonic 2" mode.

Just an idea.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Knuckles will definitely be added in, that's been planned since the very beginning.

Aerosol, no need to waste your time with posts like that. Trolls will be trolls. They're not the ones we're doing this for.

8. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Speaking of which, is there any chance of selecting the character you want to play as in co-op mode instead of being stuck with "First is Sonic, second is Tails"? Or a character select in the races?

It's not something I really hope will be added since I know this is trying to say true to the classics but some people might like to play as Knuckles in co-op or two people might want to use the same character at the same time. (Ala Sonic R)

9. Miles3298

Miles3298

Since this was ignored before, I guess it won't hurt to bring it up one last time. On the Sonic 2 HD site, http://www.s2hd.sonicretro.org/, the 1024×768 version of the second wallpaper at the bottom of the page links to the wrong one: the higher def version, S2HDSonic_1920.png, when it should link to S2HDSonic_1024.png. Just figured I'd say so again.

I have a question about the project itself. Do players have to have a bad-to-the-bone computer to run it at a decent framerate, or would something like this thing (<-PDF) work fine?

Good luck and all that with this.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Yeah, we've seen that there's a couple issues with the site. We're getting them sorted out.

As for system specs, we can't tell you yet because we won't have those answers until we've started optimization testing. And before you ask, sorry, I'm not sure how far off that is either. There's a lot of other things code-wise that need to be done first. A couple of major programming hurdles were passed this last week, so progress is coming along nicely.

Volpino, right now we're just sticking with the original formula regarding the characters. If there's a reason to change it once we've got a playable build working on a variety of systems, we'll look into it.

11. Volpino

Volpino

I don't remember reading anything about this before but I've showed the link to a few friends of mine outside the Sonic scene and about multiple systems, that means that a Mac and Linux port are planned? I've had a couple questions about both.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    No ports. None. The question has indeed been asked several times.

13. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    So is Tails gonna control the same as Sonic 2 or is he gonna have his moves from 3? Picking up Sonic and all.

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

We've talked about that some. The conclusion that we came to is that the same mechanics from Sonic 2 will be kept. After those have been implemented and playtested, we may go back to that and take another look at it. Depends on how much of a change it would make to the gameplay balance.

15. Quick question regarding ports, I know a PS3 version has been discussed, but that obviously requires a modified PS3 in some way or form. BUT the PSP now has a Code Signer, that makes Homebrew created stuff work on OFFICIAL FIRMWARES, so it means a person doesn't have to flash their PSP or anything, they can throw it on and it will work as normal, even with the latest firmware (6.37) that was released yesterday. So even though you haven't said anything, it might be a good idea to look into this as a way of expanding the audience, ...and I'm totally not saying this because I want to play it on my PSP.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    :colbert:

17. Volpino

Volpino

I heard sometime ago that Tails would have his S3 moves and that's what I've told everyone would happen. I thought this would be an improvement over Sonic 2... I'm not sure I'd like to play the game without that feature, that was one of the main things I don't like about S2. Besides, won't Knuckles have his moves from Sonic 3? It would be stupid for Knuckles to have his moves and for Tails not to.

18. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Knuckles will be able to climb walls and glide just like he could when S&K was locked onto Sonic 2. Like I said, that was the original plan. I think what you're referring to is when the discussion around Tails being able to swim came up awhile back. And again, right now we're going to be keeping all the main abilities from Sonic 2 in before we even consider adding more. From your posts Volpino, I highly doubt that's a game-breaker for you. I've answered you in full twice now, so you can tell everyone you've spoken with up to this point that you've had clarification straight from the source.

19. Volpino

Volpino

Yeah, I guess I can. I'm sorry, and no, I'll probably still play it, I was just being an ass I guess. That was just one of the things I'm excited for. Can't wait to see more and I do hope you decide to give Tails his abilities.

I was actually talking about, back when I was still trying to make his frames with InkScape, I asked if I should animate his flying poses and I think one of the staff, I can't remember who so it might not have been but I'm pretty sure it was, said "I don't see why he won't be able to fly" or something.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I could have sworn there was a discussion in the past where it seemed likely that was going to optional. Without Tails' flying ability, there's absolutely no advantage to using him at all, especially considering how he can't even turn into Super Tails in the game. If Sega were to remake Sonic 2 from the ground up, do you guys think they would exclude Tails' flying ability but give Knuckles the ability to glide? Not only that, but Tails did have a flying animation in Sonic 2. Are you guys going to put the effort into animating that but still not give him that ability?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.