don't click here

Concept Workbench

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    That first part is an EXCELLENT idea.

2. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    Am I the only one who thinks the clouds look kinda weird?

[​IMG]

The clouds at the top of the image look a little strange. I was wondering if this would help a little:

[​IMG]

The fog/vapor near the top, specifically. I hope the idea helps. This image is probably too realistic, but I hope it helps with places like hilltop zone and such.

3. You're not alone, and thank you for bringing it up with these beautiful examples. :)

4. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]
    And you can see my new tube enders/connectors on there.

And a comparison apng. My background was pretty suck, so even though I lined it up I didn't bother including it.
    [​IMG]

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I couldn't resist not making the series of tubes again. :)
    [​IMG]

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks guys for the feedback! We didn't add any additional fog to make it a Caribbean-type scenery with clear sky. If you feel there is more to it, don't hesitate to write it.

On a side note regarding water surface, I remember Muramasa (Wii) having some kind of sun sparkle scene on the sea, but I couldn't find it.
    If any of you could help me ripping that, it'd really help.

MDM,
    I am starting to love what I see here.
    Is this entirely a 3D render? It seems definitely vector drawn at spots! (and a good one too)
    [​IMG]

Some additional suggestions:

-Red Mark: It looks relatively flat compared to the other plates, seems to lack volume. Spice it up and don't hold back if you've got some original ideas there!
    -Purple Mark(left): That light has an odd white outline
    -Purple Mark(right): Not entirely sure on the purpose of that
    -Curves still has angles, removing them entirely is a must!

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I don't know about those connector bits, they look awkward and jpeg-y. I can't explain it.

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I think it would look better if the liquid was a uniformly dark-ish blue - it'll give a better impression of depth. Or perhaps (if the lighter colour represents the physical tube and not the liquid) make the light 'tube' shades a little more transparent/darker... if you see what I mean.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I love this MDM. I really love the current colour and look of the chemical stuff as it looks like its got a great thick consistency to it.

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I rendered everything separate, compiled them in photoshop and gave them each individual love. The bubble in the middle was so jagged and the wrong size that I pretty much did it from scratch in photoshop. Just a lot of corrective shading.

Red Mark: I honestly can't see much difference between them. They are all individually shaded. Not sure if you would rather them all be the same and repeated like in the sprite. I used the sprites colors and smudge tool to try to get a subtle metallic texture on there. Its all on separate layers, so you could always throw up something and I can put it in. :) I could make them stick over the yellow platform like in the sprite too, but I always thought that was ugly.

Purple Mark(left): Yeah its a bevel. Or it became a bevel after I went around it to shade it darker behind it. I liked the way it looked and left it.

Purple Mark(right): If you mean the shading of the tiny holder, I changed it from the rest because its different in the sprite. I figured they wanted it to be darker since it was behind the orb. But one thing that reminds me of is that I didn't correct it in the back tubes which are the same tube without the orb.

I used the pen tool to trim all my curves. Unfortunately I can't take away the angles from the pipe shading. Better off just doing it from scratch, the pipe isn't that complicated and as noted there are inconsistencies in shading.

Its supposed to be the glass casing. I've done all sorts of things with it and I liked it that way best. I've removed it, made it with a harder edge and smaller, darker, lighter. This is what I came up with.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Sure thing then, you know what you're doing with it - not a problem :)

12. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    First off, MDM, that pipe is liquid sex.

Second, I can't claim to know what Vincent meant, but my own personal criticism would be that all of the vertical bars (such as the one in the red circle) look very flat and boring compared to the rest of that tube. Every single detail on that tube has exceptional depth and character, except for those vertical bars.

Perhaps adding some details to make it less flat or showing a little bit of a lighter shade right along the right side edge of them would help?

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Just wondering, ever thought about making the waterfall transparent like in Sonic 4? Or more transparent than it is? It would be pretty cool with light distortion too, but not necessary.

I just think it's not up to it's full potential.

14. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Do you mean the stuff inside the tube? I always thought it should be transparent, with some indication that whatever's inside the tubes is moving, like maybe bubbles flowing through it.

It looks plastic as of now.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think he's talking about Emerald Hill.

16. zemulii

zemulii

I like that idea. That was one of the few things I liked about Sonic 4. The waterfall :P. A bit of distortion could make all the difference if it's not too hard to do.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    The waterfalls won't change in appearance, but yeah, they'll distort any characters that stand behind them.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sounds interesting! So is it layered like it is in Sonic 2 its self?

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    What do you mean by layered?

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    In Sonic 2, there was a translucent (faked, obviously) layer of the water fall over Sonic, to make it look like he was in it. Have you done anyhting like that (I was just guessing that you'd have to to allow for character distortion).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.