don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    It has to do with instantiation, why have 8 different animations running when you can have 1? it's a big difference for lower spec in theory. Stuff like the palm tree would be one animation used over and over.

Don't quote me on this as the real reason we used one or the other, since it's not my area, but it makes sense to me from this point of view.

2. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I am glad to see that the storm of negativity and pessimism has since been replaced with some more logical updates, discussion and positivity. To the Sonic 2 HD team: we were just disappointed that the alpha release did not happen when it was (near enough) promised. Also: I would like to retract my comments about Sonic 2 HD only being marginally better than an emulator filter (I was just burned that the alpha was pulled and little sleep deprived). I have re-watched the trailer in real HD a couple of times now and the game does indeed shimmer and shine with beautiful graphics only possible in a full HD-remake. Ergo: good work guys. You deserve to be commended for some brilliant progress and should absolutely be proud of what you have achieved thus far.

I would be super interested to read a development blog on the game. I know there is already partial excerpts online regarding the development staff but it would be cool to read about actual development on the core game. I believe this is what people are truly interested in. Would it be possible to get an estimated ETA on the alpha release? You stated a couple of posts ago that you are working hard to get the alpha release out there ASAP and given it was pulled at the last minute does that mean we can logically conclude and expect the alpha release to be relatively soon?

Theoretically the alpha release would only be a week or two away if you were seriously that close to having the release in line with the countdown timer. Some news sites (like the recently revamped TSSZ) seem to think the alpha is soon so it would be best for everyone both internal and external to Sonic Retro to have an idea when the alpha is coming. Q1 is too vague and hard to become excited for.

To reiterate: please forgive my earlier negativity. You have shown extremely good work so far.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Sonica: each zone has independent texture sets used, so that won't be a problem.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    @360

We're going to try and not get into announcing ETA's for stuff until we know for a fact we can have something out when we say we can have it out.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I'd actually kinda prefer to stumble on here and see the holy download link... a surprise.

But that's just me.

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Here's how the alpha release is going to work guys: when it's ready to be downloaded, I'll make a front page announcement complete with the link on it. Until then, we're working on it. At this point I'd rather people not get overly hyped about the when. Until that announcement is made, we'll be showing off how we've gotten to this point to bridge the gap in knowledge.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Perfect.

That'll be pretty cool too.

8. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    Oh boy, that gameplay in the trailer video looks great. Great job on the work so far. I especially love the widescreen aspect of this game (and can finally fill up my computer monitor without stretching or potentially cutting off the top/bottom of the gameplay). At first I didn't like how bright the graphics were, but after watching it a few more times, it really mixes well. Hopefully it won't take until 2018 for the game to be finished, lol.

Anyway, a couple of questions I hope the staff can answer. Of course, I assume the responses are tentative/not finalized, since the game is still being worked at.

How large in file size is the alpha game so far? Is the release planned to be in the form of an InstallSheild download, or one game file, or various files in an archive folder (zip/rar/etc.)? And how much memory has it used so far (and can you elaborate on the game's development in regards to how the resources have been...optimized to use less memory, if any)?

9. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Sounds cool about the alpha release. We can't really ask for anything for more reasonable than that. Waiting for the release from here out then. Can't wait to give Sonic 2 HD a spin.

@Sonica

Out of curiousity are you female?

10. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Sonica's enthusiasm for this project is practically palpable!

It seems like you guys are getting it under control. I'm a bit like Sonica - I'd rather just randomly stumble upon a download link, but even then, I'd love to see what goes on more often.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

T.Q: The plan for the game download as it stands right now is for it all to be in one package. As for memory usage, total file size, I can't give you any accurate estimates on that yet since no optimization has been done thus far. As soon as we have better information, I'll relay it.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Who told you that? Was it Vincent? :(

Joking, I'm not. Was it the name? 'Sonica' isn't very buff (meaning 'Manly' btw).

13. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    So god damn beautiful. That's all I want to say.

14. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    @Sonica

Your posts sounded very feminine. I wish there were more female Sonic fans on here. I think the only girl here is Scarred Sun.

Stealth Edit: I just realised I posted something really stupid.

15. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Protip: click on his username beside one of his posts.

[​IMG]

Blue means male, pink means female. The more you know.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Anyway, less of my gender and more of 'Sonic 2 1080p' please. :-{)

17. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    One thing that was missing from all old art in the TD days was any sense of cohesiveness. Nothing fit together well and while the old boss looked nice as standalone deviantart creation, but as an in game sprite it just doesn't work. Now, scanline99 and I have standardized an art style which is in line with the original art and gels well with the game as well, and this chrome style stays in that vein.

18. 360

United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    @Sonica

You had me going there. I guess I was equating Sonica to Jessica. I felt pretty idiotic reading your bio in "full member profile" and seeing "he" everywhere. Fission mailed. There's still a chance you're pulling Hilary Swank in Boys Don't Cry though and actually are (twist) a girl.

Regardless: back to Sonic 2 HD. When can we expect to see the new development blog?

19. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    ...Of all discussions to veer into speculative flirting.

Is there any possibility of a 'Sonic 2: Highest Definition' release, requiring unreasonable system specs but complete with all of the desired animations and textures?

20. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    sonic 2 CAMERA RAW Full frame 21mp

now with 3d, HDR, and 14 bit image correction!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.