don't click here

Concept Workbench

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Dunno if you were being serious, but here is a strip of the non-filtered PNG version.
    [​IMG]
    150x164 =P

Anyway...

2. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Actually, after reading the archive topic...a port is extremely unlikely. Which is a damn shame.

I don't want to start a big old shitstorm again, but will Lost consider releasing the source to the engine when S2HD is done atleast? A one word answer is good enough.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    He's made no mention that he'll be releasing any of the code work he's done on S2HD. Until further notice, I doubt that will be changing. As for there being a port to another system, we'll look at the options available once the PC version is running stable on a variety of systems. Currently we have no way of porting it to a proprietary code base like the major consoles have since we don't have access to a development kit for them.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    The official PS3 devkit is floating around out there (kinda isn't really legal to use though, right?), as well as PSL1GHT. Dunno anything about the Wii. In any event thanks for the response.

5. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    A PS3 version would look dreamy. It'd probably run faster too,

6. I too think a PS3 version would be awesome, but from what I've heard the console is difficult to program for and is there even an RSX driver yet?

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Last I checked, S2HD was completely tied down to MSVC and the Win32 API for everything, so porting it to a game console wouldn't even be remotely possible, even given the appropriate devkits. (Remember how "cross-platform" was mentioned before? I'm betting it's going to be the Win32 binary with a copy of Wine.)

8. ok, I'm glad you didn't say impossible because if LOst didn't want to port it personally then hopefully he would let someone have a look at the engine because despite the architectures it is built upon the logic (physics, collisions, so on and so forth) needed for the port is in the code and could potentially be ported to another system, it would be a huge undertaking though because as I understand it LOst put in years of effort.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Will Sonic Move with 360 deg in the final/alpha version?

Instead of the tech-demo 8 direction rotation.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Absolutely! That was a goal of ours from the very start. No matter what angle Sonic is moving on, he'll be aligned perfectly to its surface.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Fantastic, I'm even more excited.... yay!

=P Seriously, that's gonna be awesome.

EDIT: Will it be smoothed or snappy like Sonic 4 is? (Snapping to each collision angle, if it works like that.)

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Not gonna happen. Atleast, highly unlikely. Look a few posts up.

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Sonica, the motion should be smooth. Obviously we'll be looking to see how Sonic's alignment matches up in a public build, but right now it's looking spot on.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    And what about standing? I've seen stances at slight angles in hacks, Sonic 4 and it just looks odd, I mean none of us would stand at the angle of a slope because we would just fall over. I hope there has been some effort to angle the feet than it just being the case of a rotation engine.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Or, it'd be cool if the steeper the angle, a different standing sprite was used. Going more to the "Woah, this is steep" the more the degrees.

16. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Even though Sonic 4 was taking it a bit too far with standing on walls and all, it's a better solution then the old games, where he stood on air.

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Not to me. I guess we just have different views on what we think would look best. I'll just have to deal with it if it is the case.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Both of you are correct, and there's no easy fix. Either the feet have to be seperate objects that can react to the angle of the ground, or seperate standing animations for certain degrees of inclination.

That's a lot of work for something you won't be seeing too often.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sorry, Aerosol said it. :S

Anyway:
    This plz. At least you get complete control as the drawer not to let it look rubbish with impossible feet positions and bent ankles.

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

I'd ask that everyone wait the short while until you have a playable build on your machines to make assumptions about how things are going to look.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.