don't click here

Sonic Freerunner

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Azookara, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I'd ask for you to explain a good bit of what you mean, but I'll give it a shot.

We have concept artists that create specific objects for the game, as well as some of the design of the environment and/or architecture in the stages. I create a whole load of different ideas to put into a level and setup for the visuals; whether they are based on our artwork or based on a concept that was never reached to it's fullest potential (such as the GHZ from Sega Superstars Tennis). I get our level modeller to study the basics of Genesis-era Sonic level design, as well as focus on some elements of Sonic Adventure; so they can create a solid and well-rounded stage layout. The modeller also is the texture artist, and the only time he isn't is when he has too much work to do. If that is the case, then object texture artists take on that job as well. Objects are usually modelled by a seperate person that isn't the stage modeller, unless the stage modeller wants to help on that as well.

After creating all the objects and designing at least the majority of the stage is whenever we start adding objects. Our programmer (Carrierhack) developed somewhat of a debug that allows us to place objects and keep them permanently in there, all in realtime. After getting them all placed in the stage, we may start to program and animate these objects so that they all have different functions in the stage.

We follow this structure semi-loosely, so it doesn't always go in this exact order at all times, but I and Eight Bit Dragon are on constant watch making sure it all gets done nevertheless.

2. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    What I meant was, what is your level editor? Are you still using Fragmotion for that? Does it let you place objects or are you still doing that via xml + notepad? What do you use for exporting? Last time I checked, BlitzSonic was basically a "figure it out yourself" affair, and there was no real level editor.

3. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Ah, I see.

We still use Fragmotion and whatever modelling tools to create the stage, but like I said, Carrierhack built an object placement engine that allows us to interchange between any objects built for the stage, and place them anywhere on the X, Y or Z axis. We place the objects and it auto-saves the placement into the .xml which makes it stay there permanently unless we manually remove it.

4. angelXwind

angelXwind

disaster programmer Member
  5. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Ah yes, we have a new message board and website. Both are currently within-progress, but anyone who's interested shall join the new message board if they like. :)

6. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Alright, Retro. Sonic Freerunner needs your help. We only have so many people who can actually do their job. Some of them are doing their jobs well, others are falling behind, whether it be because of pure procrastination or school/otherwise getting in the way. Seeing as Sonic Retro has a lot of talent, we figured we should ask...

We need somebody who is able to, and is willing to fill one or more of the following positions:
    • 3D modelers, for characters, level design, or both. (As well as somebody who can actually UV map, because apparently only one or two people on the team currently are capable of doing it at all!)
    • Texture artists
    • Concept artists
    • Programmers familiar with Blitz3D

If anyone is interested, please contact Azukara or post on http://sonicfreerunner.hostoi.com/forum/
    We really need some help so we can get things done.

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I would suggest not joining them if they want you to make any characters models because by my count Azukara has changed the Sonic model 5 times now so you'll just be wasting your time and effort.

8. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    We love you too Jimmy. <3

9. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

I know you do <3

But no really I don't have anything against this project other than Azukara who can't make up his mind, so most of the time he just ends up wasting the time of everyone who try's to help him out. Unless he can finally have an firm grasp on what he wants then there's no point in helping him.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Yeah, haven't really changed my priorities on this game since this past summer. The Colors model is placeholder, and other decisions made regarding the game have been unanimously decided by the current team.

11. Scripten

Scripten

Azukara, I'm fairly interested in contributing to the Freerunner project, but I do have a few questions to be asked before moving on to anything. Firstly, what sort of models are needed, and exactly what style is the game going for, in terms of cosmetics? I've noticed both classic and modern influences, but I was curious to know where these styles are being applied and where they might be blended. For example, using a realistic tree trunk with slightly more surrealist leaves or something of the like.

12. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    The style to be used within this would be a mix of classic and modern influences, but moreso of it being just based off original content. However for a proper level of knowing what to go with, we're leaning in a more classic approach.

Contact me through the SFR forums and such so I can talk with you more about this and see whatcha got, alright?

EDIT: Also, in the meantime, we got a new modeler: SefirothDB. I'm sure some of you know him.

13. Scripten

Scripten

Will do. I actually had an account there prior to finally hopping into Retro, so it won't take but a minute to get in touch.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    A new regular modeler? Or is he just doing bits and pieces for you guys?

15. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    He's doing a bit of everything; objects, characters, stage peices and so forth.

16. angelXwind

angelXwind

disaster programmer Member
    As far as what I'm doing, I'm (trying to) port Sonic Freerunner to BlitzMax, so far I am somewhat successful. (Sonic Turbine will also use a BlitzMax engine if I can get it to run)

So far it's tripping over the XML parser.

17. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Aw, dude, SefirothDB? He's awesome. I've seen his Deviantart page a long while back.

18. Rainer

Rainer

Just use s-expressions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-expression

19. We are still in need of modelers and texture artists. Anyone who would like to contribute is welcome to join our team. We are trying hard to create a stage in time for Sage 2011, so any help is appreciated. Come visit us at the forums at http://sonicfreerunner.hostoi.com/forum or come chat at our channel at irc.badnik.net #sonicfreerunner

Recent updates:
    We have had some progress in a few minor things like programming the starpost, and some static LOD objects. We have made it easier to place some objects like rings in the stages by placing them right in our 3d editor as boxes, the engine does the rest. DDS textures are not supported in Blitz3D as well as we had hoped they would be, however this has not effected progress. We are continuing to experiment with new methods of handling advanced texture and lighting effects to enhance the look of Freerunner. Tweaking the physics is something that has been ongoing for some time. Sonic's handling has improved very well, you can now turn very sharply as you could in SA without sliding around like a hovercraft, but we are continuing to improve the handling and controls to make Sonic Freerunner a great game to play.

The plans for stage layout have changed. While Azukara wants open free roaming stages, I convinced him to use stage layouts similar to a cross between SonicR and SA. The stages will not be 100% linear, but will have branching paths, and shortcuts and passages between paths. This should resolve some issues faced with a free roaming stage in a Sonic game, as well as speed up production as such stages are easier to draw out and plan. Free roaming stages are taking too much time to plan out as the direction to go is not obvious, and designing a stage in such a way to guide the player the right way has proven difficult to say the least.

Future updates:
    Sonic Freerunner's menu will be changed once again to look more like the classic menus seen in the 16-bit games, namely SonicCD. Simple flying/crawling badniks will be implemented soon.

I'm having trouble finding the time, but I will try once again to set up a render farm for animated cut scenes. This has not been forgotten. When a story (and eventually dialog) is completed, I'll begin production as soon as possible, time permitting of course.

Edit: Correction, Azukara did not want full open stages, but 'point A to point B stages on a massive scale', but the point is still valid, and that is such stages are too difficult to design.

20. Impish

Impish

What I think would be clever, but might be too difficult, would be if you did branching paths, but it felt like an open roaming world, so that it felt like you were travelling in a huge enviroment, and you could see the other "paths" at a distance.