don't click here

Press the A, B, or C button to jump!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OKei, Dec 15, 2010.

What button do you use to Jump in the original Genesis Sonic games?

1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Just jump, or never noticed/cared.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never played the games on the original hardware.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Most games I've ever played used C as the jump button primarily, like streets of rage. Only comes natural to sonic games.

2. Spindash54

Spindash54

Did you ever wonder how he spins in place? Member
    I swear to god I had this idea last week.......C

3. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Always have used B. Not sure why, maybe it has something to do with the little bump on it, but I can't be sure.

My friend Eric uses A, but he has big hands, I guess.

4. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    With the original Genesis controller I tended to use B. But more often I use a Classic Controller on the Wii or an SNES controller on the PC, both of which I use Y (which logically maps to A.)

5. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    C cause debug. Even on emulators and in my game I use C

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    C.

You won't believe how how fucked up my game was once that C button stopped working on my old controller.

7. Squints

Squints

All souped-up. And DESECRATED! Member
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    RIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACERRRRRRRRRRRR
    I voted C because I remember there being a distinct period where I used C to jump, but I think I usually go back and forth between A and C pretty sporadically. Still, I rarely if ever use B. Then again, I think I can attribute that usage of C to my time playing Knuckles' Chaotix, where I recall C being the only button that actually makes you jump.

8. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    When I first started playing, I used A. Years later, I wore down the A button and used C ever since, even after I fixed that controller.

9. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I'm going with the majority and vote for the C button. I have small hands but long fingers. That one fits them the most for Mega Drive and Saturn. Dreamcast and beyond there was no choice, but I still tend to prefer the edge buttons if given the opportunity to map them.

10. corneliab

corneliab

There were no Sega systems in my household up until the Dreamcast, so I'm gonna have to go with the last option.

11. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I used B, only out of habit of playing other games where B was jump and A an C were easy access for other commands.
    however once in awhile I caught myself using C playing sonic, since my hands are big.

12. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I usually use A or C on the Genesis, and C(D) on PC.

13. Impish

Impish

I did, and always have used A, and I'm very surprised thats the minority. Even on emulators I use a. It just makes sense logically to me.

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I'm in the minority that always used A to jump.

This is the pad I played with, a Turbo that was blue and orange like Sonic and Tails conveniently:

[​IMG]

However, when flying as Tails or doing the Spindash I'd use the Turbo C button, but it was always A to jump.

15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I used A until finding out most of the cheats require C.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    C, closest to edge of controller.

Of note, on emulators I usually use WASD + JKL (because the left hand is for directions and the right hand is for buttons, and that's the way I'll always prefer it), and use L &copy; to jump. When I'm using some else's setup that's the wrong way around (usually arrows + ASD) I use A. But that's probably the closest to the edge thing again.

17. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Was always a C guy.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Never played on the original hardware, and I voted accordingly on the poll.

On emulators, with ABC mapped to ASD, I try to use A or B (A or S) as much as possible, because C (D) is already overused when in debug mode and I don't want to destroy the D key on my keyboard. My left control button is already half destroyed because of too much Mame :v:

19. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Before I knew about the debug mode, and had only the 3-buttons controller, I used to use only the A button to jump, since my thumb would more confortably rest on that button.

After some time, the A button became a little unresponsive, so I moved to a 6-button controller, and also learned about the debug mode, so I moved to use only the C button instead.

In computer emulators, despite having lots of PS-like controllers, and even the PS3 and 360 controllers themselves, I aways preffered to play using the keyboard. So, I still use the C button to jump, which is mapped to the C key in my keyboard.

So I guess I'm in a fifty/fifty situatuation here: half of my life I humped using the A button, and the other half using the C button. Hmm...

But since most of my life I jumped using the A button in the original hardware, I answered A in the survey.

20. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    C, because it was commonly the jump button for most games.

But it's important to note that I'd switch to any button at any time and when spindashing I'd use all three.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.