don't click here

Press the A, B, or C button to jump!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by OKei, Dec 15, 2010.

What button do you use to Jump in the original Genesis Sonic games?

1. A

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Just jump, or never noticed/cared.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never played the games on the original hardware.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    The original Sonic games for the Sega Genesis had only one Jump button you can use out of three:

A B C

Since there are many of us here who played the 16-Bit Sonic games (Specifically: Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3/& Knuckles) on their original hardware (If this topic is an indication). I would like to ask the Sonic fan-base here: What button did you always use to jump in these games? Instinctively, I always jumped with C, my thumb would always feel comfortable resting on C for some reason.

I'm only singling these games out because they have the same controls, and these are the games most people are familiar with.

EDIT: Perhaps I should evaluate the point of this topic. It's really a psychological examination here. For me, after playing these games for so long, I just get used to pressing C. It's like my brain will automatically direct my thumb to C, when I play Sonic 3. B isn't a problem for me, but A is disorienting.

2. Ummm, good question. I think C because I have large hands and it was the button furthest away from the d-pad. Space my hands out as much as possible.

3. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Whichever was most comfortable for me, but since they all jumped, it didn't matter much to me. I think it was B, since it's in the middle, but I probably went with A. Never touched C.

4. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I always use the B button. Definitely more comfortable for me, that's probably why when I make a new move I map it to the B button. :v:

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I believe on the PC I use the C Button (which is "D"), and on the genesis itself I use the A button.

Probably started using the C Button since I was screwing around with Debug mode so much.

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    C for me, unless I was charging a spindash, in which case I mashed all 3.

7. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    where's random? my fingers picked whatever button they wanted. And when I play the Sonic games on my computer (using a PS2 controller) or on Mega Collection (using a GC controller), my fingers still chooses whatever button they damn well please.

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    Option 4: Just jump, or Never noticed.

9. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    A button master race.

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    C, especially because the other two buttons do other things in S3K debug.

11. DC.17

DC.17

a dead star Member
    Used the C button for the debug reason as well.

12. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Even though I don't have a Genesis/Mega Drive, I have the buttons mapped out on Sonic Mega Collection to match a Genesis/Mega Drive controller (A = B, B = A, C = X). I usually press B (which is the big green A button on a Gamecube controller), though that may just be due to the controller.

13. C, for pure... Don't know really, but I'm damn used to mash out the C button. Except when I'm playing at DS or PS2, It's the C button.

14. I always used C, but modern conditioning has moved me over to B when I play on old hardware. It's probably because so many games use the button in the middle bottom (A on Xbox360, X on PS3) as jump.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Always C, see? (Terrible pun I know)

As said before, closer to the edge, easier to tap...

16. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    C, in both emulators and on the hardware controller. I am guessing with the emulator it's because the easiest finger to use is my pointer finger when using the a/s/d (a/b/c) setup. And on hardware, I guess it's because of the distance from the D pad.

17. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I always used C, and for the same reason as everyone else -- easiest to reach with the thumb.

18. C, because of the reasons that were already given. However, after years of playing Sonic, the C button started to not respond so well, so I moved over to B.

As for emulation, even though I have a couple of Playstation-like controllers I always use the keyboard, where I use the C key, which is mapped to the C button.

19. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    I always use B, it's more comfortable for me to reach to for some reason.

20. On the original controller I tended to use them all alternately, but on the 6 button pad it was always A for some reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.