don't click here

Sonic PV VHSs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Spazz, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spazz

Spazz

Try Happy! Oldbie
    New Orleans, LA
    tankbot
    Well, here they are. There's two versions: Lossless DVD rips and H.264 encoded .mp4s for those who don't want to download the 4+GBs of DVD rips.
    I decided to do DVD transfers since the VCR doesn't have S-video out like I expected (and the hardware that can capture component is too expensive right now), but when I bothered to RTFM it implies that no compression is done to the video when recording in "HQ mode," which isn't completely true since DVD format does have data rate limitations. If anyone's more of a video technician that knows what would get the best result, let me know. (A firewire cap would be ideal as with most modern STBs.)

The torrent for the DVD rips.

Mp4 downloads.

Both include box and label scans.

2. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    What's PV?

3. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    I believe it means promotional video, Jaseman.

4. One problem with VHS capture (or any other interlaced or 60fps source) is the cheap deinterlacing. If you look at game footage that contains quick flickering, such as when Robotnik gets hit by Sonic and black becomes white every other frame, you'll only see either black or white depending on the fields/frames that are dropped, which kills the effect. If you compare different rips (like this one and that one with good quality on YouTube), you'll notice that the fight with Robotnik doesn't look the same because of different dropped fields/frames. This is where it's easier to notice, but in reality that means that half of the whole video is missing. I only checked the MP4 one though, maybe the DVD still contains both fields... Can anyone verify?

5. Spazz

Spazz

Try Happy! Oldbie
    New Orleans, LA
    tankbot
    The mp4s weren't exactly meant to be 1:1, but only the Sonic History and the Sonic the Fighters mp4s were deinterlaced, the Sonic 2 promo still has interlacing to keep the barrier effect in tact. The DVD rips are practically untouched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.