don't click here

Sonic the hedgehog Xero thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Crapymix294, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Wow. Not only was that last bit totally unnecessary and completely uncalled for, but you obviously don't understand the concept of ownership. Megamix is a collaborative project; the code is not mine to give away as I please. If Stealth wanted other people using his homing attack code, he would have released it publicly with instructions on how to implement it in the game. He did not. End of.

Besides that, even if it was my code to give away, I don't find it constructive to just give someone code without explaining how it works; you don't learn anything as a result, and all of your exploits from that point on are more often than not are going to rely entirely on the skill of others. Hacks using "open source" work usually end up being polluted by a complete lack of direction and the same exact features as other popular hacks. It becomes less flattering and more irritatingly bland. What I would be willing to do to someone who has shown competency in their field is explain how the logic works so they'd be able to code it themselves. I'm not holding peoples' hands, though, because it won't accomplish anything.

Finally, I'd consider a joindate of February of 2009 (on SSRG) far from "new to the hacking scene." Please don't butt your head in on issues you know nothing about. All you did was make yourself look like an ass.

2. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    And yet I'm not the hugest ass in the room. I was just pointing our you might be acting a little unreason, namely because you were talking to a member like they were a criminal over code he didn't know was stolen. Misunderstandings happen. People make mistakes. Go after the guilty party, not those caught in their web of shit.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    You know why? Because 9 times out of 10 when this situation arises—and believe me, it happens a lot—it was intentionally stolen. As soon as Selbi told me exactly what happened over IRC, all I wanted was for the code to be removed since I knew it wasn't his fault. I wasn't calling Xero a sniveling piece of shit, if that's what you interpreted it as; I was referring to the guy who ripped off the code from Megamix in the first place. It threw me off and that's pretty frustrating. I'm sure you'd be frustrated too if a project you put 6 years of unpaid work into had its source code leaked all over the internet for everyone to pillage from.

That said, I was not treating him like a criminal because he explained the situation and said he'd remove the code. I don't see how I'm an ass by wanting to protect the hard work of my team.

4. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Laying out the looming threat of a ban if he didn't was unneeded and very uncivil, though. If he outright defied you after you asked, I'd understand. I'll remind you, you're in a position of power, and thus expected to act a certain way. Otherwise, you'll make yourself look like a jackass with a crown, which in turn makes the forum look bad.

I can understand being pissed because something was stolen from a project you've poured several years into, but you're an Admin. Mind your temper.

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    First off, Tweaker was in no way being uncivil. Second off, his position has nothing to do with the situation. You're the one who needs to slow his roll.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Actions require incentive. If he has the code and there's no actual consequences for removing it, why remove it? Besides that, I thought I'd actually warn someone that their actions would result in punishment instead of banning them without saying anything. My bad, I guess?

People can "expect" whatever they want, but this forum's administration is made up of people and we act like people. We're not a paid PR crew; we don't get money for licking the collective balls of our memberbase. We run this place in our own free time for the benefit of the community and we do it without a single mandatory cost to anybody... I don't see why we can't act however we damn well please. You do not dictate our behavior and neither does anybody else. Be content knowing that we are not unreasonable.

Finally, I would ban anyone who stole anything from any project—not just Megamix. Theft is stupid, ignorant and totally disrespectful and I will not tolerate that.

7. Sintendo

Sintendo

But aren't you all using what is basically stolen code from Sega without permission? A lot of the music in Megamix was taken from various sources too. Don't get me wrong, I understand that you're taking action against people who just take things left and right, throw it all together, upload their 'hack' and call it a day, but it all seems a bit ironic to me.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    From a purely objective standpoint, yes, it's the same thing; in the context of this community, however, we don't have copyright laws and trademarks to protect our ROM hacking and fangaming projects since they're based off copyrighted works. If any of the companies or developers of the games I nicked music from had an issue with their work being used and outright stated it, I would take steps to enforce those wishes within reason even though they have the legal backing to make that step completely unnecessary. We don't have that privilege, so the least I can do is provide some sort of support in that regard.

You can cite semantics all you want, but at the end of the day what I'm protecting is peoples' hard work. It's one thing to consent and share, but it's another thing to outright take it. That's lame as fuck.

9. What happened to the days where people had to work for their code? :(

10. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    So much drama. Can we just have a demo plz?

11. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Sure thing.

12. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Played the first act of every zone so far, really like what I see! Good work.

I feel like there were some moments where a light dash would have been really handy!

Good work re: levels and moves though.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I believe it's called Megamix. :v:

14. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    I like this hack a lot! Very fun.

F*ck all the haters.

15. Crapymix294

Crapymix294

The fastest thing alive!
    Newark, DE
    The Xero Project
    (copy & paste from ssrg)
    After spending my time on making some art edits on SonED2 for my hack, I want to show what I have done for some of the zones so far. (Thinking about changing some of them though.)

Paradise Hills
    [​IMG]
    Ancient Ruins (name getting changed)
    [​IMG]
    Speeddust City
    [​IMG]
    Suggestions are welcome if any of you think I should make some changes.

16. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    My, my! I love it. The only two things which bugs me: The moon looks like a square. And I think that's not what it's supposed to be, right? :P

17. Crapymix294

Crapymix294

The fastest thing alive!
    Newark, DE
    The Xero Project
    yeah I still gotta make some adjustments to the moon, as well as adding a bit more textures to the buildings also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.