don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. TheUltimaXtreme

TheUltimaXtreme

Breaking logic since whenever Member
    Thanks, corneliab. Down to 4 more rings

2. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    So.

Aquarium Park.

Best water level in Sonic history, yes?

3. corneliab

corneliab

It's pretty great, yeah. The only competition it really has is Hydrocity.

4. glem3

glem3

Just finished it 100%, it was SUCH a great game.

One issue I had was + - Super Sonic doesn't seem to actually be that much faster than sonic or jump higher. He accelerates faster, and he can get to full jump height with no double jump, but it's just not that much of a difference. Also, why are the wisps there if you can't even pick them up as normal sonic?  

I would have liked more planet-based levels rather than space levels, I felt like having both starlight carnival and astroid coaster was a bit much, and tropical resort was pretty spacey too. Of course, the game is set in space, but I found myself enjoying the not-space environments so much more. Planet wisp, sweet mountain, and aquatic park both seem so cool and creative, but space has been done a bunch of times before. When I play those 3 levels I really feel like I'm playing a 3D sonic CD. I would've liked both a lava/fire level, and an ACTUAL final level. Also perhaps an only "natural" level, every area in the game has the clash of natural and mechanical, which, once again, makes sense in the context of the game, but I would've liked some natural environments.

I also would have liked more 3D areas... the game is advertised as a 3D game, but most of it is 2D. The 2D parts play well, but I would have liked a 3D water area at least.

Lastly, It was upsetting that the game was very scripted and invisible walls often prevent you from going backwards in the stages, and the controls weren't perfect...

So, a couple of issues, but there are just so many well designed and fun stages. The multiplayer mode was really fun, and finding the red rings, although sometimes too easy, was really fun. I absolutely LOVE aquatic park and sweet mountain, they're both really amazing in variation, interesting, and have fun gameplay. The game doesn't necessarily feel like any sonic game before it to me, but I love the references to the old games, such as badniks and other little extras. This is definitely up there with the classics, despite falling a bit short because of some bad design in later stages.

5. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Wow, Terminal Velocity is really difficult. I'll give it another dozen tries tomorrow.

6. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    I said about 30 pages back that there was a link between this song's intro OUtrun a Crisis - Super Hang-ON (Sega Genesis) and Planet Wisp 1

I swear, that I-III-vii(fully diminished) intro is the same. Could another music guru back me up please? Seriously though. Sounds like it to me.

7. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    So... I beat the DS version of Sonic colors a couple of days ago... It was pretty good, I think I had more fun playing Sonic 4 though. Looking forward to playing the Wii version... You guys are making it sound like it's amazing and if everything that I'm hearing is true, it could easily be my favorite 3d platformer (not like it has much competition though. It's either Sonic Adventure or Super Mario Galaxy right now. )

Now... I can get one of two games for my B-day, Sonic Colors wii or Kirby's Epic Yarn? I can't really decide which I want more... I mean, I'll get which ever I don't get I'll get on Christmas, but... Both games just seem so good!

Here's a question, is Sonic Color's DS a DSi enhanced game? Just curious...

8. corneliab

corneliab

Err... you might not want to go into it expecting it to be your favorite 3D platformer. It's a solid title to be sure, but the game's mostly about 2D platforming.

9. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Which is exactly why I'm expecting it to be my favorite 3d platformer XD

That, and you guys are really making the game sound awesome :) Well, most of you are at least.

I'm a bit worried 'bout the controls, though. The side step thing or what ever sounds weird :/

10. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    He's much faster. Just go to Starlight Carnival 3 and boost off one of the yellow springs. He'll be gone from the camera's view before you blink.

11. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    It's not particularly. If you've seen it in Unleashed, you know what to expect.

12. corneliab

corneliab

Super Sonic is definitely faster- just compare him with standard boosting Sonic underwater.

HOWEVER, it sometimes doesn't seem like this due to some sequences (quick step areas in particular, I think) seeming to cap the speed to a point.

13. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

I meant in how it controls. How you controlled it changed from the wii version of Unleashed, did it not? Or am I thinking of something else?

14. I haven't played the Wii version of Unleashed, but quick-stepping is just moving the control stick left or right (but it's only available in areas that require its use), drifting is moving the control stick while holding the boost button (again only available where it's needed), stomping is crouching while airborne, and that pretty much covers anything and everything that isn't a one-button move.

15. glem3

glem3

Oh right, that was my last complaint... moves are situational. I don't like only being able to use the quick step or drift when the game "deems necessary".

And if super sonic is faster it's not enough. It doesn't give me the feeling it does in sonic 2, 3, or 4.

16. corneliab

corneliab

Found <a href="http://wiird.l0nk.org/forum/index.php/topic,7122.0.html" target="_blank">some Gecko codes</a> for Colors.

Getting to use Super in the beginning areas of Tropical Resort 1 and Planet Wisp 1 is making me quite the happy camper.

17. diplomacydog

diplomacydog

What did I just read? Member
    South Carolina
    No :(
    Terminal Velocity is a bitch :(

18. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Or Boost on water in Aquarium Park as Sonic and then compare that to Super Sonic, it's much faster.

Speaking of which I got all the Red Rings yesterday. I hate that it disables Wisp Powers before you even transform and that in some stages by the time you have enough rings the stage is over...buuuuuut Super Sonic is awesome and I'm just glad they finally included him.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Kirby's Epic Yarn is a better game and is extremely old school in its platforming. I definitely would go with that game if I had to choose one over the other. In comparison, Sonic Colors is a great game but Kirby's Epic Yarn is an excellent game.

20. Fiamonder

Fiamonder

Amsterdam
    Sonic Generations & Knuckles
    So Thomas83lin, the guy who made those Gecko codes took two screenshots of two codes.

The 'Swim Everywhere' code:

[​IMG]

And number nine of his Wisp modifier code:

[​IMG]

A spike ball that randomly pops up.