don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I personally find that Knuckles is Knuckles, regardless of art style, and it really doesn't fucking matter exactly how he looks on the title screen considering the main draw of this hack is the altered gameplay.

2. Hydroshea

Hydroshea

I Broke My Wondermega Member
    Hey I played through all of build 0.05 when I got to Wing Fortress, I think the new Sonic respawn animation has broken the end cutscene of Wing Fortress. When Sonic isn't the active character he does his new respawn animation and ends up a step behind the other two characters and therefore misses his jump onto the plane. From there the cutscene plays until time over, the cutscene plays as normal when Sonic is the active character. This was on the Kega Fusion Emulator.
    It's an amazing hack and while I have no technical knowledge it seems like it really doesn't seem like it should be possible! Serious kudos to you sir.
    Going off topic, I'd love to be able to play this on my real hardware, does anyone here know if this is possible and how I could go about this?

3. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    ..Did Tails always start falling when he was carrying someone underwater?

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Yes.

5. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Not a nitpick, as this stuff always happens in the original games, but this made me lol.

[​IMG]

6. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Why can't I never seem trigger the animation sequence to work correctly?

They don't jump off of Sonic's airplane to grab Robotnik's ship, or, they never reach to the Death Egg; they just keep going up... and up... until the screen wraps down again. >_<

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I only played v5 once, and it worked fine for me. I was playing as Sonic against the boss and didn't switch - maybe that has something to do with it?

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Are you sure Knuckles' jump height is correct? I've just checked again and he does seem to jump as high as Sonic and Tails...

Also:

-Tails can destroy the blocks below him while flying, in Chemical Plant (as well as the HTZ rocks), while Knuckles stays in his falling pose for a moment if he lands on them after a flight (which also applies to monitors).

-Knuckles' continue icon comes from Sonic 3, as opposed to Sonic's and Tails'. He had his own Sonic 2 icon for KTEinS2.

-Is the shading in the Aquatic Ruin bubbles correct? I didn't remember that pitch black color in them.

-Insta-shield doesn't make its noise.

-Special Stages can't be accessed.

-Sonic's return animation might look better if he's spinning faster, and perhaps if he wasn't being launched so high in the air from right below.

-Knuckle's return animation still looks odd when he's facing towards the camera. I'd really consider making he fall sooner.

-After you defeat the Death Egg boss, Knuckles will stay flying in place instead of following you.

-Sonic Adventure Amy? ...I really don't think she fits in here, and her drawing style clashes way too much.

-The ending pose would look better with Tails-Sonic-Knuckles, instead of Knuckles-Sonic-Tails.

9. Hydroshea

Hydroshea

I Broke My Wondermega Member
    Sonic has to be the lead character for it to work, otherwise he'll end up a step behind and miss his jump.

10. Very good hack. But I just ran into a rather odd bug.

That one made me laugh :)

11. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Yeah, collision is a bit wonky in some places in CPZ. It may be possible to fix; I will have to see.

Taking advantage of the bump: I have already fixed most of the existing bugs and implemented quite a few things (see below). I am still working on multitap support, special stages, title screen and options screen; but free time has been hard to come by lately, so it is progressing slowly. I will only release the next revision after I finish at least 3 items in that list, meaning the next release may be delayed a bit.

Here is the list of changes so far:
    Code (Text):
    1. - New extra data/extra objects/function vtable object code for Sonic/Tails/Knuckles reduces code triplication with benefits.
    2. - Ported S3&K object manager to reduce lag (particularly MTZ2) (thanks to MoDule for tutorial)
    3. - Ported water ripple effects (thanks to MoDule for tutorial and Alriightyman for S3&K AIZ ripple data)
    4. - Fixed bug: you can break some breakable objects by standing on them while an AI is jumping.
    5. - Several gliding/climbing/flying interaction issues with objects.
    6. - Fixed Knuckles' gliding/sliding code to work correctly when landing on sprite-based floor-type objects.
    7. - Fixed plungers in CNZ.
    8. - Fixed invincibility and super stars not setting their parents.
    9. - Fixed control bugs with several objects (vines, hooks, breakable platings, Tornado).
    10. - Got rid of Silver Sonic's unnecessary decoding at Sega screen.
    11. - Knuckles drops from a higher position when respawning, making him slightly more efficient.
    12. - Sonic does not go as high up in the air when respawning.
    13. - Fixed issues with respawning CPUs after defeating final boss.
    14. - Swapped Tails and Knuckles at the ending cutscene.
    15. - Fixed no drowning bug.
    16. - Fixed Grabber bugs.
    17. - Fixed VRAM conflict of HTZ boss and animated BG.
    18. - Special stages could not be accessed.
    19. - Fixed Special Stage animation bugs from original when Sonic/Tails(/Knuckles) are fully horizontal.

12. Yeah I didn't mean to imply that it was faulty somehow. Its incredible what you were able to incorporate. Even "small" stuff like Knuckles spawning animation. He doesn't have one at all in S3&K, correct? Not that I can remember anyway

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    He doesn't. Only Tails is supposed to respawn.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow, that's a lot of fixes... I'd really suggest releasing that version before finishing those new features that will take longer.

(please?) :(

15. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    You pulled off the 3-character concept thing really well here. Good job.

Though what bugs me is that if you switch to an onscreen character who has just died, you'll lose a life. You should probably set it so that you can't switch to dying characters.

16. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    He should take his time and release it by his own schedule and I feel him releasing it with the new features will be tons better than getting another revision of bug fixes. We got the first four revisions pretty quickly in succession and really, I don't see myself bothering with a new revision of bug fixes when nothing in revision .04 bugs me all that much. New "features" would be much more rewarding.

17. flamewing

flamewing

France
    You voiced my thoughts pretty well; this is my reasoning for the delay, having something more than bug-fixes.

18. flamewing

flamewing

France
    Sorry for the double post, but I am giving a status update on the hack. I also want some feedback on the title screen:
    [​IMG]
    This uses FeliciaVal's Knuckles and Dark Sonic's logo layout idea. I did the emblem myself, and drew the Heroes emblem based on that of the Sonic Heroes game. It is already fully animated, which was a pain due to running into VDP limitations (in order: I ran into sprite limitations (80 sprites on-screen), then sprites per scanline limitations (20 sprites per scanline), then 320 pixels worth of sprite data per scanline) and features (a sprite with position of zero will mask lower-priority sprites in the lines it takes up, which was used to make Sonic and Tails hide behind the logo emblem and which was cutting off the lower portion of Tails' tails).

Given the changelog below, I am also thinking of writing a tutorial on the multitap, as well as on how to use the 6-button controller the right way (sorry GenesisFan64). And maybe a tutorial on how to edit Enigma-compressed mappings.

Anyways, onto the status update:

19. These are awesome changes/fixes!

This one especially caught my eye:

Holy Hell that will be awesome!

That and Knuckles carrying people while gliding/climbing, and Tails carrying two people at once!

Keep up the good work!

20. Nice effort on the title screen. Although I find trying to fit Knuckles into the logo has left a tight squeeze between each character. May I suggest something from a different perspective similar to what with used with Sonic XG's title screen. It should hopefully leave a feeling that each character has their rightful space.

EDIT: But then again, I haven't seen how this looks animated. I may be just talking nonsense.