don't click here

UBUNTU DUMPING X11

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/11/05/1...nity-On-Wayland

Also that editorial has it totally wrong. Ubuntu should not focus on being a Linux distro because no one WANTS Linux distros. Ubuntu is taking a strong visionary role just as Google has with Android, and I'm loving every minute of it.

This quote shows that OS News gets it:
    I want to pat them on the back so hard right now.

2. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
  3. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    Ubuntu just moved up a notch. It's now at 0.

4. I didn't even know that there was an alternative for X11! I now find Canonical's latest developments quite interesting...

5. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    It's interesting that Ubuntu is already balls deep in this and Fedora is only considering it still. In the past it's been the opposite (compiz, pulse audio, plymouth, kernel mode setting, etc)

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Getting shot of X11 is a great step - I'm looking forward to seeing there they're going with this, even if I disagree with some of their UI choices of late (look at you, copying-Mac window buttons!)

7. RamiroR

RamiroR

YES; YES; YES; THE LORD LISTENED TO ME (?
    Seriously, this is great news :D

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
  9. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
  10. RamiroR

RamiroR

There's still time, they might change their mind, or nouveau will get better. If neither of these happen, fuck you, I'll use Intel cards.

11. Skaarg

Skaarg

Although it is great of Ubuntu to move to a better solution than X11. I'll stick with my original opinion that Unity is a terrible replacement for GNOME Panel.

Sure this may work for you, but for anybody needing to do detailed 3D stuff or higher end gaming Intel cards or nouveau aren't options. The proprietary drivers are much better for gaming, and it's probably going to take nouveau a few years to get to where nVidia's drivers are. Just look how long it took ATI's open source drivers to get where they were and if I recall they even had help from ATI.

12. libertyernie

libertyernie

502 Bad Gateway Member
    This is probably a silly question, but will I still be able to use Xfce?

13. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    >Implying that anyone who's serious about PC gaming doesn't just duelboot

14. Skaarg

Skaarg

Firstly, lol duelboot. Battle of the operating systems!

So you're saying people who want to game should just give up on Linux and pay Microsoft or Apple? 90% of people want one operating system that can do everything for them, try and teach those people that they should use Windows for gaming and then reboot their computer to Ubuntu when they want to do everything else. It'll sound stupid to them because it is stupid.

People want platforms like Steam to come to linux, but it's people who say dual booting is easier or that crap like nouveau is fine for basic computer needs who ruin this opportunity. If you want an OS to succeed you have to make it work for anyone. Sure I may hate OS X and their overpriced hardware, but Apple learned this by making the push to make their stuff more appealing to everyone. They made it appealing to the younger generation (Mac vs PC commercials), they made it appealing to Gamers (Steam), the list goes on. If Ubuntu, and Linux as a whole, wants to succeed they have to make it appealing to a larger crowd and people have to get rid of the mentality that dual booting is easier because your really not contributing anything then.

15. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Dude I love Linux as much as the next guy but I also have my head far enough out of my ass to see that even with things like WINE and Crossover, Steam and popular games are still slower on most Linux distros, and the drivers for high end video cards are a mess.

And who the fuck BUYS Windows anyway? Most people get it with their PC.

16. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    ...people who don't rely on shitty premade manufactured computers and build theirs from scratch?

17. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    Oh right I forgot about that XD Since I'm not a PC gamer I didn't consider that.

18. dsrb

dsrb

…who think Microsoft need even more money. ;)

19. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

My best guess is that Ubuntu is jumping ship from the epic failure that Gnome 3 is going to be when released (likely due in spring as well). Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the Gnome UI. But the new shell concept is just crap for mainstream computing IMO. It's not nearly as intuitive, plus it takes more mouse clicks to do the simplest shit like switching applications. They should have gone with a major incremental upgrade (shit like being able to pin apps, along with some aesthetics) to bring it back up to par with Mac and Windows instead of thinking out of the box. Oh well, there's always KDE.

This also explains why Linux Mint, my distro of choice, is in the process of parting ways with Ubuntu. They're likely not going to take the same route for their UI. I'm very curious what will happen with the next release. Either way, 2011 is going to be a very interesting year for the Linux desktop.

20. RamiroR

RamiroR

So, any progress?