don't click here

Need a good laptop

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Jaseman, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    I need a laptop for things that I cant do on my smartphone (windows, newer emulators, steam) and I honestly don't know what to get. I need something that ...

-is in the $200-$300 range
    -fast
    -not monstrous in size
    -can run Dolphin and the Source engine good

any ideas?

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You won't get a computer that can run Dolphin decently for $200-300. Sorry =P

3. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    The only thing I can say is you won't find a laptop than can run Dolphin at a playable speed for $300. I think you'll have a bit of trouble finding something for that price range that can really do what you want. You'll need to at least spend around $500-$600.

4. Jaseman

Jaseman

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    It doesn't fit any of the criteria you listed, so I would say no. It weights 8lbs, has an old single core processor around the speed of a 1.4ghz Core2Duo, a small harddrive, slow ram, and a slow video card.

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's not quite in your price range, but the ThinkPad SL series is a pretty good budget laptop line: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/sl-series

My sister has a ThinkPad SL410 model 2842F?? (can't find the full model number), which cost $650. It has a Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, and Intel GMA4500 graphics. (Yeah, not the best, but you're not going to get ATI or nVidia in this price range.) Display is decent (14" LED-backlit), though its display resolution is a non-VESA-compliant 1366x768. Other than that, I think it was a pretty good system for $650. You should be able to get a similar SL model for even less now.

7. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    Have you seen This yet? If you give it an extra GB of ram and and a DVD drive, it should work a lot better than the Thinkpad. At $335 for the base unit, it's probably the closest you'll ever come to your asking price. Even with the extra ram and DVD drive, it's still over $200 cheaper than the Thinkpad.

8. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    What is is with Jewish Linux nerds and Thinkpads, seriously. My friend Riley payed like $2,000 to get one when he had no income and he's also a Jewish Linux nerd.

9. Skaarg

Skaarg

I'm not Jewish must be why I got an ideapad. :v: In all seriousness though Lenovo has good quality builds for their systems in my experience.

About the topic at hand though you're going to have to pay more for a laptop if you want to run Dolphin. If I recall it needs at least a dual core 2.0-2.5 GHz CPU and a dedicated video card. (aka not Intel GMA)

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I know that you said at least. But I've yet to find a laptop anywhere near that for Dolphin to run smoothly. It could be worth posting some links as I'm sure some search engines restrict results depending where you live in the world. I know that there is something like that on ebay as you get totally different results by searching between ebay.com and ebay.co.uk

<a href="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/I.html?_nkw=i7-740QM+laptop&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A4%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3133&rt=nc&_dmpt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=2&_sc=1" target="_blank">Ebay.co.uk</a>
    <a href="http://shop.ebay.com/I.html?_nkw=i7-740QM+laptop&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A4225&rt=nc&_dmpt=Laptops_Nov05&_sticky=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_sop=15&_sc=1" target="_blank">Ebay.com</a>

11. MaliceX

MaliceX

hi i code and quack. Oldbie
    Oddly enough, I bought my HP dv6-3100 laptop for about AU$899 (minus $150 from giftcard, totalling $649) which came with Win7 Home premium, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM, and an ATI HD5650 (switchable) dedicated GPU. Though yes, there aren't many laptops on this price range with ATI/nVidia dedicated, they certainly exist if you can find a store that sells such.

As far as performance go, while the CPU may be off-putting to some (AMD 1.6GHz mobile quad), it can certainly run 3D games at ease (in High Performance GPU mode). It manages to run PCSX2 but I haven't tested graphics-intensive games.

Best, purchase, ever. :D

12. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I'd avoid the DV series... they love to die, and the cause is same as X360s - GPU overheat induced problems

13. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member

In that case, make sure you get a really good cooling pad for that laptop.

14. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    No laptop should ever have to rely on any external cooling gadget. If a laptop overheats just by normal use. Then to me it's defective by design.

15. Jaseman

Jaseman

I think I'll go with the Acer Aspire AO521. I need a small laptop, with decent battery life, that can play source well. also, it's only $350. Thanks, Thousand Pancakes.

16. Jaseman

Jaseman

I gave up on Dolphin and decided on that Acer Aspire AO521. Haven't played with it much yet, but I love it so far!