Another Sonic Storybook game: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SomeSortOfRobot, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phoenixwright7

phoenixwright7

Cry, and my whip will accommodate! Member
    I've only played Black Knight, but sure. I personally thought that the sword gimmick was cool and had potential, so I wouldn't mind another one that used the sword either... Just as long as the made the enemies less annoying and improved the level design. Also, it needs to have more platforming... Alot more.... And more control during boss fights...

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    If they absolutely had to throw out another Sonic game for the under-10 crowd, why not a theme that's a little more kid friendly than the Arabian Nights or Arthurian England? Sonic could stand in for the hero in a wide range of stories like Stuart Little, Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, etc. Each could be its own level with a small handful of missions. It'd be like Kingdom Hearts I guess, or even the Pagemaster if you want to go that route, only less cutscene heavy and more straightforward. Sonic's friends could make up the cast for each story, and I'm sure you could find a place for the obligatory human/fairy character.

Also drop the auto-running on a set path control scheme and just adopt the engine used for Wii Unleashed's day stages.

3. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    I was going to suggest Journey to the West actually, as it's one of the only fantasy stories I've read with a considerable amount of depth.

But then again, I don't want to see them butcher such a great story, at least not before we get a faithful adaption of the story into a game or tv show first. There's only ever been like two adaptions that don't go completely stupid. Monkey Magic and Monkey, the former of which was replaced by Digimon.

4. DrunkDoomguy

DrunkDoomguy

UK
    Sonic +
    Secret Rings was not targeted at older sonic fans as the concept of having Sonic in a storybook was a little childish. The game itself wasn't bad it's just you had very little control over Sonic; that was my main gripe in the game.

5. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Butchered? It's not like anyone could do any worse than DBZ.

I've got a treat for you, though.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Secret Rings had at least one boss you essentially had to masturbate to death with the Wii Remote. I stand by my point about those 4 games being the lowest point.

7. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    ...um, no thanks, I don't want to see Dimps ever again.

How about Sonic Colors stages? (I guess you could argue that it uses the same engine, but we don't know for sure).

I'm not interested at all in another storybook game; I've played Secret Rings and it was okay while it lasted. I have absolutely no intention to ever play Black Knight. I don't have a PS3/360, and I'm quite tired of the only Sonic games being released on Wii are spin-offs (Unleashed doesn't count for obvious reasons).

8. Honestly, I didn't care much for the Storybook series, so I don't think they should make another one—unless they get rid of the on-rails gameplay. Actually, I agree with Chaos Rush that it should use Sonic Colors-type gameplay.

9. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water

This occurred only once against the final boss. However, as bad as that was, my point was that even though the Storybooks weren't that great, games like 06' are not nearly in the same league as Secret Rings, especially in terms of quality. The flaws in the storybook games are largely exaggerated.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Let me put it this way for you. I completed all of sonic 06's sonic story and most of silvers.

I didn't make it past the first level in secret rings. That game's controls were completely beyond broken. It was at that point I wrote off motion control forever, with the special exception for 1st party nintendo games. For this reason alone secret rings is the worst sonic game ever.

11. SA2

SA2

Sonic's dead; fly down to his corpse Member
    Yeah, same here really. I played like, a few levels of Secret Rings then just quit because the controls were so broken it made the game just terrible to play. As much as I wanted to complete it, I couldn't just for that reason. So I have to agree that Secret Rings is the worst. IMO the controls just made it unplayable, so kudos to people who dealt with them long enough to beat the game.

I really enjoyed Black Knight though. They improved on the controls, and I had a lot of fun with it. (And I really liked the music..)

If they made another storybook game? Sure. I'd play it. As long as it doesn't have fucking broken controls like Rings did.

12. Hybrid Project Alpha

Hybrid Project Alpha

It's what's for dinner Oldbie
    Douglas, NB
    Getting a life
    Secret Rings is objectively the worst Sonic game ever made

There's nothing wrong with the storybook concept, but then they make the game impossible to enjoy with terrible controls and stupid gimmicks that serve no purpose other than to piss people off

I would like to see Sonic in the Journey to the West universe though, or maybe The Odyssey

13. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    I think they should. Secret Rings was fairly fun, and it was certainly better than what we got around the same time (cough 06 cough). However, the controls were a little loose, the replaying of stages was annoying, and overall I don't play it much. Black Knight was certainly better, but it was far too short. I beat it in about 5-6 hours, not counting the many times I ended up retrying The Dragon's Cavern (Actually, I beat Umbrella Chronicles in 4 hours, but that was fun) The controls were tighter, the multiple characters were cool, and the final boss was purely epic. I'm not expecting something on the level of Sonic Colors, but it should happen. The Storybook series is supposed to be a trilogy.

BTW people: Shadow the Hedgehog was AWESOME!

14. Basically this.

This, just not to the same degree =P

Honestly, Secret Rings was the first and only 3D sonic game I haven't beaten. I got to the last boss, and don't get how you can get the last hit on him. Too difficult. Broken controls anyone can get adjusted to, but man, I just gave up on this.

I surprisingly didn't have that much trouble with 06, yes, it did take some getting used to, but once I figured out the pitfalls and the bugs and how to avoid them, it turned out to be a fun experience.

SatSR on the other hand, the controls are just, impossible to adapt to. Especially during the timed jumps. you 'charge' for a jump, which in itself is a retarded concept, and you slide forward while doing this. It's completely bogus. Get hit by a cactus you didn't see, charge for your jump while sliding forward, oh shit you die.

Black Knight was better, no real need for charged jumps, no 'run into cactus', but it still needed some tweaking as regards to the controls. Deceleration needs to be better, and going backwards and actually seeing where you're going.

Remember, the whole 2.5 D was really first done with SatSR...

15. Garp

Garp

I would not like another Sonic storybook game. From the looks of things, Sega is trying to make Sonic relevant again, and the storybook games would not help that at all going by Secret Rings and Black Knight. That said, I do consider Secret Rings to be a guilty pleasure for me, I actually really like that game.

16. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    No, no, no, no, NO.
    Secret Rings was such a pile of fucking trash. Just... urgh. The fact that they tried to make Sonic On Rails is just horrible in itself.

17. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    I recently revisited Secret Rings and, well, how the fuck do you switch between rails? I couldn't do it when the game came out and I still can't do it now.

18. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    You just tilt the remote actually.

Don't feel bad though, the grinding in Secret Rings sucked dick anyway.

19. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    They tell you to jerk it, so half the time you fly the opposite direction, or just whirl straight upwards.

20. I thought Secret Rings was good, where as the Black Knight should have been in development longer as the controls were terribad, so..

I'm gonna say yes, but only if it was 'Sonic and the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest' and he replaced Robin Hood (complete with little green hat and bow and arrow) as he fought against the Sheriff of Nottingham and had to save Maid Marian (Who'd probably look like Amy.)

..With Big as Little John and Eggman as Friar Tuck.

Gameplay wise could be like Sonic Unleashed daytime except with handling which DOESN'T control like ass. Seriously. I don't see where all the positive comments about the controls of Unleashed (and almost certainly Sonic Colours if it's the same engine) are coming from.

Oh, and it'd use the wii pointer for Sonic to shoot his bow and arrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.