don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Deef

Deef

I agree with that.

I have a tonne of comments and nitpicks (with heavy disclaimers) that I want to express, and literally the only reason I haven't is because there's so much to say, but really it's more important to assert one thing:

Pelikan, keep doing what you're doing.

Before anything else - before the tweaks and considering comments and the mountain of suggestions - you do your thing. Put your visions first and keep believing in them first, because it's working... better than anything has worked in the last 15 years. You already clearly have such a solid idea of the Sonic game everyone has always wanted so you don't have to worry about feeling deflated or distracted by all the inevitable feedback; just keep believing in what you're doing first. You got us this far following your own inspiration and everyone thanks you for it.

You too Merc, keep up the good work on the physics!

For me, the big deal (well part of the big deal) about SFR is that it came at a time when hope was finally gone for good. Sega have finally shown that even when they publicly try, they can't get it right anymore. There was never going to be a next gen classic Sonic experience again, but out of the blue there's this and it is a sigh of relief that I didn't think would ever exist.

2. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Well said, Deef, so I'll say it with you: Keep doing what you're doing, guys. That's fundamentally important.

3. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    And just for shits and giggles, I have mirrored both Mac and Windows Versions right here. I've gotten a chance to test it on my windows VM, and even though it ran sluggishly and choppy, I was happy with what I saw :P

4. As long as you stay true to your vision (which honestly works perfect to me) everything will be fine with you. Carefully consider any major change you employ based on the advice of the others here.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Ok I am gonna get the praise for this out of the way straight up. Damn fine work on both the "noir" and regular versions. I did a little test with a bunch of people "One of these is a Fangame by a handful of people in a few months, the other is sonic 4" and not one person guessed correctly. You got my full support should you require it (alpha/beta testing indy projects is a hobby of mine).

Now for feedback.

Art Direction/Graphics

Personally I like it alot, only thing I dislike is the final boss flying through the background in the first act. Don't get me wrong it looks cool as hell but it is out of place and makes no sense. What would make sense however is if it was the level boss or a future boss being constructed. What would be kind of cool is if you had a bunch of badniks swarming in the background, constructing/attacking stuff. Example in Act 2 the ROBOLAND sign is 1/2 complete, and in Act 3 it is complete. That is really good, need more of that as it make it look like stuff is happening. Endboss flying through the level doing nothing then never being seen again breaks continuity. If you want to keep a big ass flying robot in the background while also paying homage to the best Sonic Cartoon of the 90's make it a flying SWATbot (or SWATbots) of some sort.

Also maybe its just me but even though I can support this game on max settings at max resolution, the game looks better and more sonic like at the lowest settings (fastest) plus is alot less of a clusterfuck. I tend to loose rings every 10 seconds when playing on max, but can do flawless runs on fastest.

Animations.

What you got is good but not great when sonic is not in a ball. In a ball its perfect but all other animations seem a little flat, they look like 2d animations which looks odd on a 3d model. They do the job fine though as every animation is clear as to what it is meant to be. Only other thing to add is whan something dies an animal pops out thats really cool however please add X animal for X badnik in the future.

Gameplay

Discounting the odd glitch where I loose momentum for no reason it flows really well. I have fun playing it, lots of. Some springs need adjusting so they do not fling you straight into stuff causing you to loose rings though that could also be fixed by adjusting badnik patrol paths or placement slightly. This feels like I am playing a modern sonic game, that alone is enough. So far you guys have nailed it considering how much you have achieved in such a short amount of time.

Music

This is the only thing that dampens it for me. Its good don't get me wrong it just seems out of place and does not match the feel of everything else. IMO ask OCRemix if they will help you out. Alot of Project Chaos / Hedgehog Heaven would fit this game perfectly.

Misc

Only thing I hate so far - The Title Screen. I am assuming it is a placeholder (or at least I hope it is). Please do an animated 3D version of your SFR logo at somepoint.

Keep up the good work. I am amazed so far.

6. Pizzaman

Pizzaman

I think I found a bug, but strange that I'm the only one in this thread to experience it:

Bug: I cannot configure the Unity controls to read anything except my right, middle, and left mouse buttons. I have a keyboard and an XBox360 wireless controller, and the Unity key config recognizes neither of them.

Detail: The default primary and secondary controls are set when I enter the control config, but they do not work in-gameā€”not even the keyboard controls (right/left/up/down/enter/etc) work. Nothing works except mapping the R/M/L mouse to actions, which then work in-game. Not even the additional mouse side button works. Using Xpadder, I could then map my mouse buttons to X+ Axis, A button and Start to the XBox360 controller, which allowed me to run through the demo a little more comfortably.

And in fact, when mapping those mouse buttons, I need to navigate the mouse to hover over the pop-up window that says "Input Configuration" (in the picture below) before I click the button to set it. Hitting any key or mouse button while the windows cursor is anywhere else has no effect.

[​IMG]

It's very very strange. Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Specs: WinXP SP3, Core2Duo E6600 (stock), 2 GB RAM, keyboard using a keyboard port, not a USB port, USB mouse. I think the keyboard not being USB might explain why it's not recognized by Unity, though that still sounds like a bug...

7. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Erm... It's a bug with Unity not reading the keyboard corectly I suppose. IT doesn't make a difference the way the keyboard is connected to the computer. I suppose Unity is probably iterating through the USB bus tree searching for a key board or something like it and can't seem to find it. Just get an adapter or a new keyboard :P

8. Pizzaman

Pizzaman

But...would that really cause the (USB wireless) XBox360 controller also to not map buttons, while allowing the USB mouse to map buttons?

The fact that the mouse works is what is really strange. Just generic troubleshooting guesswork, but if the keyboard can't be read, then you'd think it would either (1) ignore the keyboard but allow the mouse/controller (I.e., not just the mouse alone), or (2) would lock up everything (including the mouse).

9. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

The 360 buttons not being recognized is something I mentioned earlier, might be that the engine doesn't fully recognize DirectInput; I wasn't able to get the D-Pad to function. You can use Xpadder though. Quick overview of how to setup/configure Xpadder.

10. anjerarts

anjerarts

Hi!
    About the jumping/walking on slopes at lower speeds:
    What I try to tell is that I think it's unnatural (to me even a bit annoying) that Sonic can't move uphill when he doesn't run fast. So when Sonic stands still halfway a hill he just can't move up. And when I try to jumping to get up the hill Sonic moves in the other direction, like I tried to point out in the screens below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grts.
    Anjer

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    That's how it's supposed to work. When you jump, you move away from the ground. If the ground is sloped, obviously you're going to go off at an angle. It's how it has always worked, and it's not counter-intuitive at all.

12. Chaud

Chaud

Yeah, that. Seriously, it's exactly natural that Sonic can't move uphill when he doesn't run fast. You need to build momentum, that's the whole point of Sonic's physics, isn't it?

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Somebody got infected with used to Sonic 4, it seems.

14. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Actually, the same thing happens in Sonic 4. The 8-bit games, however...

15. Deef

Deef

Lol, no wonder I couldn't see the "issue"... no wonder no one had mentioned it before.

Anjerarts... it's meant to be like that.

16. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Hi, that's called "physics."

gb2Sonic4

17. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    It's unnatural in the sense that Sonic can remain in place, even walking in place, without moving either up or down, on a near-90-degree angle, yeah, but not being able to go up without reasonable speed? Jumping away from the angle of the surface he's on? That's how it's always been done, kiddo.

If anything, he's able to get up hills without nearly as much speed as he should require...

^ The above issues are present in Sonic 4, not Sonic Fan Remix. However, the above correct points are also present in Sonic 4 anyway, so...

18. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member

19. CriticalMass

CriticalMass

Great project.

I really enjoyed the attention to the details :)

Would you guys (or anyone) be interested in a professional Art Director input in non-Layman's terms regarding some of the mistakes done when it comes down to Art Direction? I understand you guys have your own style and it's been 60 pages where without a doubt people already pointed a lot of nitpicks, but if any of you want I can post some useful insight.

Edit: If anyone is curious, this is approximately how the exact same game art would look like if following, when it comes down to saturation, color schemes and contrast, Sonic 1 & 2 Art Direction. S4 followed a similar route, if you feel like comparing:

[​IMG]

Original:

[​IMG]

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I wish people stop making these changes. It just takes out all the detail and colour out of the original. Why fix what isn't broke?