don't click here

SD on Dreamcast, From China With Love

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Andlabs, Oct 22, 2010.

1. My own Dreamcasts seem to disagree with this lately.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Interested in this, but there's no way I'm buying one with the current method of purchasing. I suspect it'll get out wider soon enough =P

3. Tanks

Tanks

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Then maybe it's just the brand of cd-rs I use. I downloaded Power Stone 2 and couldn't get it to work in my DC. Tried it on NullDC with the disc I'd burnt, not a problem. Bought the gd-rom at a local store, and it worked fine in my DC. I could only assume that my DC was having trouble reading my cd-r. What brand do you use? I've been using Memorex.

UK Dreamcasts don't have a plug like that. When I moved to America, I had to buy a big old power adapter, cause I couldn't use one of those.

5. I've used different brands of CD-Rs through the years, but lately it's been mostly Sony-brand.

There could be various factors that could prevent an ISO from loading on Dreamcast besides the mentioned one, such as the possibility that you didn't get an actual selfboot ISO, your Dreamcast model being one of the unlucky ones that fixed the ISO bootup issues, bad burning tools, or simply a bad burn. D:

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    The Chinese are just ripping off from something some Japanese guy made in 2008. There was a link to his site somewhere, I may try to get it and post it.

7. I'd love to get the SD cable. I have a friend teaching English in China, so I'm going to see if he can hook it up.

8. shana

shana

balls Member
    Financial Hell
    Recording Sonic Music on live guitar/bass.
    What about the 100% difference in voltage?
    Don't 99.9% of TVs support all systems (NTSC/PAL/SECAM) nowadays? I know my 20+ year old Sony TV does...

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I tested it in NullDC to see if it was selfboot and it was. I've burned plenty other games that worked fine, and some that worked once in a while, and some that only worked if I opened up my dreamcast and tweaked the laser some. I've even had some burnt games stop working after they've been working for months. I guess I'll switch to Sony CD-Rs in the future.

10. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    The DC will make a loud pop sound and you'll notice some magic blue smoke leaving the console with that little adaptor :P

From what my friends have told, US sets don't seem like 50Hz, new and old... where as in EU, nearly all TVs support everything imaginable

11. Mad Echidna

Mad Echidna

Gone Oldbie
    All I know is I have an RCA tv and when I accidentally put my Xbox in PAL mode, everything was black and white and flickery.

12. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    The exact same thing happens with my friend's scart connection on his Wii. For some reason his TV at first thinks it's NTSC when it's on 60 Hz, and sometimes take a few minutes to figure out it's PAL. I would SO want one of those modded Dreamcasts if it wasn't for the method and lack of money. I miss my old Dreamcast, brother traded it in years back.

13. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    How does the SD card reader work? Does the Dreamcast skip the standard boot sequence when the reader's plugged in, or does it trick the Dreamcast into thinking whatever ISO's on the card is in the disc drive, or is it something else I haven't considered?

14. Can you use SDHC with this cable? I'm just drooling at how much I could jam onto a 32GB card. That's awesome.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    That's the other thing. There's gotta be software loaded onto the device to allow that sort of thing, cause if not, the Dreamcast would likely just boot the first game on the card.

16. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    I'm just hoping you don't need a modded DC for this to work.

17. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/sd-adapter-for-drea...sed-337873.html

That SD adapter is nothing special, it just converts the USB plug into a serial plug (I have that same SD->USB adapter, got it from Nintendo at a local game expo). It comes with a software disc that lets you launch stuff off the SD card.

18. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
    Brilliant!

19. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

Apparently this sort of thing has been around since mid/late 2009. Sounds like China is just trying to rip off someone else's idea for a quick buck. From what I've found through quick searches, the software needed is called Dreamshell. You'd still need to hack the wiring together yourself though.

20. Vangar

Vangar

Here is the creators website:

http://www.dc-swat.ru/blog/dreamshell/17.html

And here is a page on making USB > Serial:

<a href="http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http://f17.aaa.livedoor.jp/~takotako/dcserial_ft232bm.php" target="_blank">Clicky</a>