don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Maybe because most people is looking this as "A Sonic 4 killer" I believe :P

Still, if they pull a C&D to this, just change Sonic to Chimpo's monkey (With his permission, of course :P) and it'd be good to go! :P

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Because some shitty gaming journalists assume Sega is stupid enough to end production on a fangame over fear it might hurt Sonic 4's sales. While I'm surprised Sega hasn't acknowledged the fangame yet, it would be very uncharacteristic of them to do something as irrational as file a lawsuit. :|

3. anjerarts

anjerarts

I played the demo some more yesterday, still think it's absolutely great. Can't wait to see / play more zones :-)
    There are some tiny things I noticed that might be worth looking into though:

- Physics
    I've got the idea that I had more control over Sonic in the classic versions when Sonic's going down after being launched up by a jump pad.
    Also when walking/jumping up a (steeper) slope/hill at low speed Sonic won't move forward. In that case you need to move back and gain more speed. This feels unnatural at some points. When standing still some feet before the top of a hill I just can't get on it directly, not even by jumping.

- Piranha robot
    I think they look good but feel too different from the original game. In my opinion they should be some smaller, jump higher and move slower. I also think the animation of the fish needs some easing when the fish reaches it's highest point.

- Flipping board
    There's no sound when it touches the ground :-)

Maybe you can look in to this. I think it would improve the game. Otherwise: it's still great :-)

Greets,
    Anjer

4. Yeah I gotta admit I kind of get the vibe that Sega is going to be whipping and torturing the Sonic 4 Team over this game, but if they put a C&D on this, it just goes to show they are nothing but a bunch of douches and they will never see another dime on my money on any of their products. Its one thing when someone makes something for profit, its another when its made out of love and enjoyment of the games. Plus this is basically PC only, unless I'm missing something, they can continue their sales of Sonic 4 on the other platforms. Sadly there are people like me who don't own anything but a PC, and thus won't play Sonic 4 until if and when it does come out for the PC, which probably won't be for many years if they even bother.

On the game itself, freakin awesome. I've only just did a quick run through with it, so I can't really put too much input in, I'm running an older computer (Dell 9100, 3.0 Hyperthreading P4, 4 gigs Ram, 1 Gig Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT cut in half due to dual displays) and it runs supreme at 1920x1080 on the 'Good' setting. Artwork wise I see basically nothing to complain about, its 'busy' compared to the original genesis system but I would expect a hilly jungle type setting to be busy like that. This is really going to shine when it hits zones like Chemical Plant, etc. My favorite thing is the change in zone, going from daytime to rainy to nighttime, something you didn't really get with at least the originals, it was either sunny or nighttime.

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    If SEGA were the kind of company that thought shutting down fan projects was a good idea, Retro would have been six feet under ages ago.

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Instead, Sega often promotes this site and has given Sonic Reto exclusive stuff like that wallpaper and the announcement of an announcement that Sonic 4: Episode 1 was being postponed. >_> The latter was a shitty exclusive but it's the thought that counts...sorta. I honestly wouldn't worry about Sega ever shutting this project down.

7. Shutting down a fan project would only bring attention to it, which would achieve the opposite of what they'd want. And unless it was an actual full game (with multiple zones, bosses, monitors, spikes, music etc), I don't see much chance of them doing that. A PC fangame is not going to hurt Sonic 4.

8. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    The game works well, and graphics are superb (even on an old 8800!), although the music is crappy and I ran into a bit of a bug.
    Excellent stuff!

9. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    Speaking of the music, I am in love with it! It sounds very soundtrack-like; something that Sega could have put out YEARS ago!

It would really be great if Sega paid more attention here and actually made an effort to turn a fan project into a profitable game. Alas, I don't see that happening at any point (especially with Taxman's Sonic CD remake on the retro engine).

10. So, I just made the 'ultimate' test!

Waited to play Sonic 4 until today and it was good, not nearly as good as the classics, but playable (although the special stages made me dizzy ;).
    Then I fired up the remix-demo and it blew me away. It looks, feels and plays almost as great as the classics (even at the lowest solution with the least eyecandy), very good job, please don't stop working on it.

Dimps can kiss my ass ;)

11. OrdosAlpha

OrdosAlpha

Who's next!? Oldbie
    That was fucking awesome. Some minor collision issues here and there and the odd Dimps Syndrome enemy placement when landing from a spring jump, otherwise a fucking pleasure to sit and play. Not too sure about the Robotnik flags all over the place, the Roboland sign in the BG, or Robotnik in his Mecha Robotnik Walker from S2's Death Egg at the start of act 1, though. The orca jumping over one of the bridges was a nice touch. Can't wait to see more. Sonic Team should play and learn from this.

12. Ultima

Ultima

Games Publisher Tech Member
    London, England
    Publishing mobile games!
    That's the most fun I've had playing sonic in years. Love it and can't wait to see more!

13. Eggman Crusher

Eggman Crusher