don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    EDIT: Okay, nevermind. I tried it on fullscreen with the same settings(Fastest, 640x480) and it ran smoothly. A good 45fps, most likely. Control input still took forever, and that is still a horrible thing when it comes to a game based solely on reflexes. I really wish, however, that you would still tone down the graphical requirements, as I can not play this on an optimal resolution(1440x900) that will look the best.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst

3. Really good work guys; I love your artistic skills Pelikan, and the physics are really consistent Mercury.
    Works great in my expensive rig, not a surprise.

I noticed random loses of momentum speed while passing loops, but I'm sure you both know about it.
    Wish you the best of luck for future releases.

4. Deef

Deef

Nope, sorry. I really loved it.

5. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Thanks to those who mirrored.
    BEST
    FANGAME
    EVER
    I loved it! I managed to get it to run ok, so it was cool. Some people were saying earlier that the level art looks too busy/distracting, but I didn't find it took me away from Sonic any more than Angel Island in S3&K does. If anything, the detail brings me into the scene more.

6. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

It's not that it's so overly detailed it's distracting, but for me it simply hinders gameplay too much.

7. It's a pretty ballsy move releasing the demo so close to Sonic 4's launch - you're almost inviting a cease and desist order from Sega, but this shit is amazing, you guys have balls and the talent to back it up

Best art direction from any fan game EVER - I don't even care that it's like watching Lisa Frank have a panic attack; it works and it works well.

I love all the Robotnik propaganda - looove that shit. Seeing one of the flags flapping away in the foreground just made me go unfff - and I like the subtle touch of seeing Robotnik's logo on a searchlight run across "Robotland" Batman style in the bg of Act 3. Subtle touches like that really enhance the playing experience - your passion for this project really shows.

Good stuff

8. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    In what way? like, you can't see where you're supposed to be platforming onto or something?

9. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    hmmm... I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, the graphics are amazing, but on the other hand, the graphics are maybe too amazing? I had a lot of problems discerning foreground from background, and sometimes could not see the enemies because there was too much going on. At one point, I think even the light blinded me from seeing an enemy... and that might be a little too real for a Sonic game.

I feel like the game is laggy. The physics may or may not be spot on, but when I try to stop... or jump, it's like, a split second too late, but that might be because my computer isn't the best... or maybe because there's too much going on here.

The input interface failed me, I couldn't use my PS1 Dual Shock controller because it didn't read the d-pad or the analog sticks as buttons for the directions. Emulators do this without problem, but I'm not sure if this can be fixed or if the program will just fail against my controller anyway.

Overall, it's solid. But honestly, if this is the path this game is going to go down in terms of the overdone graphics, I'd rather play Sonic 4. At least in that game, I can see, and that, I feel, is very important. In my opinion, the game needs less going on in the foreground.

10. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

In the way that you can't play at optimal graphical settings without super-serious lag that ALSO delays button input.

11. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

drawing
    Oh, right. I put mine on the lower medium-ish kinda settings and it still looked pretty and played nicely.

The d pad on my ps1 controller that I use for everything worked for me by default, but I did have to add set the other buttons. Start and A are the only ones that you need though.

12. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

I have my settings on Fastest and 640x480, Fullscreen. :/ Giant button lag = near unplayable Sonic game.

13. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Not sure if this has been asked yet, but are cross-platform builds in the works??? :X

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Predictably, my shitty desktop renders this game a jittery, unplayable mess even at the lowest graphic settings. Nice that it's fully compatible with my PS3 controller, though.

If there's one thing I dislike about the graphics that isn't entire subjective, it's the ducking animation. The classics and, hell, Sonic 4, all have a ducking stance that looks more "curled up," as it were, whereas this one's ducking animation just looks kind of awkward to me. Looks too... stiff.

15. Tanks

Tanks

I'm playing on a dual core PC with a 6-7 year old graphics card and I get near optimal speed on "fantastic." Your argument is invalid, or ought to be since this rig is lightyears from 'top of the line.'

Also, to those stating that there's too much going on, you should have seen the early versions. Damn, every fucking thing happening at once. Then again, that was technically an engine test... Even so, they really polished this thing up since then.

16. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    It works flawlessly for me in the latest version of Crossover Games.
    I just had to double click the EXE and it opened right up and worked. No DLL problems. My default bottle has the latest version of DirectX installed, but nothing else special.

17. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    For folks having trouble with Input lag, that's Unity's fault. It updates the Input in the Update function, not the FixedUpdate function, so when frames get dropped the Input lags as well. This is a horrible design flaw, and I want to punch some Unity personel for it.

It's particularly troubling for me because my computers specs are embarrassingly bad. If you think you have a hard time playing it, imagine the trouble I have testing. It's a wonder there aren't more bugs floating around.

In short, Unity sucks.

18. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

For those with a controller that isn't being recognized, try using Xpadder. By default I could only get the input config to recognize my 360 controller's analog stick (the D-Pad wouldn't be picked up), so just used Xpadder to set the D-Pad to function as the arrow keys, and the A button to be the space bar. You can configure any of the controller buttons to be any keyboard input so it works exactly how you want.

Here's a quick overview of how to setup/configure Xpadder.

Hope this helps those with controllers not fully recognized.

19. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Well that a bit shit. Guess they thought that everyone these days have a 1 GB graphics card.

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I experienced lag and have a solid specs, but my computer is unstable and needs to be reformatted so I blame that reason for the lag. This fangame is truly awesome but it's a damn shame most of it isn't original level design. My favorite part was the whale section. That was just beyond epic.