don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. I can't download, Rapidshare said it was copyrighted and took down and 2shared says the limit has been reached. :(

edit: Found the re-up on Page 43.

edit 2: GTX280 1GB, 4GB Ram, Windows 7 64bit, 1920x1080, Runs at full speed and all working fine. BRILLIANT job the art style is like someone mashed together Oddworld and Sonic.

2. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    Word is that Sega themselves have something to do with the RS link being down.

Anyway, what else can I say that hasn't been said? Thank you! Nobody will forget what you've given us here today.

3. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    "Word is that Sega themselves have something to do with the RS link being down."

Those words were written by a "journalist." I wouldn't look too much into it.

4. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    If you don't get a reply in fast, pretty soon everything you want to say has already been said. Here it is in a nutshell.

I actualy checked this topic last night, before bed. This is probably the first and only 'fangame' I've ever shown the merest flicker of an interest in, so coming from me this is the highest of praise. I get up this morning only to find that it's been released. I have only time to learn this news before having to do an 8 hour shift. Fucking cheers guys for making 8 hours seem like 24. Bastards.

My computer is a humble machine, but it can run newer Source games well above medium at 1024x768. Imagine then my surprise when I have to take it down to the "Fast" graphical setting at 640x480. I know that my computer is not a modern machine, etc etc, but it seems insane that I can run something like L4D2 smoothly using above average graphical settings, but struggle with this.

Despite this, the game looks very, very, very nice at even the lowest setting, and I watched in wonderment the optical feast. There are many tiny, intricate and subtle touches to this that don't come out until you play. Someone ahs mentioned the waterfalls and their sounds, but stuff like the crackling electricity of a destroyed badnik as its debris tumbled into the water, accompanied by bird fluttering free from its robotic prison. The whale, despite being already blown for me in the pre-release screens, was a great touch - the background in general seems to house all kinds of interesting activity. The weather effects, the layout of the second act, the foregroung vinery that hugs the very top of the screen during certain passages, all deserve a mention - in any other production these would be the stand-out details, but in this...

Yeah I like it.

The physics were pretty much spot on in my opinion. They were faithful enough that I never once really noticed them - everything behaved as expected which is a Good Thing.

I see that you guys have hit the reddit frontpage as well as a bunch of other gaming sites. Enjoy basking in that warm glow of adoration dudes.

5. Mahdi

Mahdi

Aww for real? Is that why the "taken down for copyright" notice?

Anyway, if you lot have a not so good gamepad for your PC I highly recommend these PC/PS3 saturn controllers on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Gray-Saturn-USB-C...=item19b503a91c

There are loads of fakes but the ones from this seller and a few others are 100% the same as the ones released in Japan a while back. The best pad for all things 2d/side scroller

Yo what's your gfx card/cpu? I think this game may need something on the level of a HD3850 and higher along with a decent dual core since processor speed is probably a factor, too

6. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    [​IMG] The "journalist" is talking out of his ass and the situation with the mirrors is being handled at this time. [​IMG]

Just hang tight for a minute.

7. dsrb

dsrb

I can't try this yet, but if Sega were responsible for the copyright report/deletion, that's very revealing of their self-confidence.
    Scarred Sunja'd

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    How did you do this? I don't see any option for that.

9. Mindchamber

Mindchamber

Honestly possibly the most fun I've had in a Sonic game since Sonic 3. You really nailed the vibe.

As for the whole coloring/details issue. The details in the scenery have nothing to do with the game looking too busy. Its the fact that everything casts a black shadow. Even though its a game, it still has to follow the rules originally set forth by cartoons and animation.

If your main character is going to produce a hardoutline or shadow, the background shadows must cast a lighter ambient color.
    this rule is followed pretty closely in all sonic games or any platformers. Nothing should cast black except the player, enemies or any moving characters. adding blue tones, or overlays etc, will only muddle the image.

Aside from that. I loved it It was more true to sonic than Sonic 4 which felt very floaty and slow in comparison. The amount of time to speed up a hill did feel a little long, but thats about it.

I WOULD LOVE to see sonic's animations get the same attention to detail as the background did though. In the backgrounds you let the artis creativity explode, and it really works. Why not let the animator go nuts as well?

Sonic animated wonderfully, but he's not a sprite, he should have tons of freshing new animations.

1)Stumbling forward after getting hit from behind,
    2) have all his launching animations have different degrees of positions depending on the arc of the jump
    3) new acrobatic moves etc.

all suggestions of course,

10. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    Do you have a working MAC version, I would love to play that.

11. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I ran it with stereoscopic 3D, and while the effect was there, it was only partially, and pretty buggy. The only thing that seemed noticably deeper was the backgrounds and the Egg Mech.

12. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    Me too! Tried to play it in Wine, it errors out saying "failed to load mono.dll"

Any advice? Will probably install Parallels just to play this, but a native OS X binary would be sweeeeeet

13. Shadōman

Shadōman

Hello there.
    This is my first post and I am really looking forward to being in this site.

Anyway....

Let me start off by saying this is the absolute best of Sonic I have played in a long time. Absolutley brilliant. The graphics were top notch and the physics really felt like actually playing a Mega Drive Sonic game from the 90s. I congragulate you.
    Unfortunately, I was only able to run the game twice becase aftter that, every other time I got to play it, the file just dissapered after about 2 mins waiting.
    Apperently, it had something to do with it being called a high risk file by Norton 9.
    Other than that, I really like your work here. I don't really have anything to say about how you making this any better.
    I got a smooth framerate with a bit of lag on my sister's Packard Bell laptop at minimum settings(didn't exactly look at the fps, but let me say this game looks fantastic even with low settings) with:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    AMD Athlon II P320 Dual Processor (2CPUs), 2.1GHz

I also did the maximum settings the laptop would allow me(1366x768 on Fantastic setting). It ran at 12 fps with lag for me.
    I also like the layout of the stage, with Act 1 being sunny, Act 2 being surrounded by rain and Act 3 being set at night. It sounds original and entertaining.
    Good luck to you and this wonderful project :)

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    The new download link doesn't work now. It says the download limit has been reached. Can someone help me out please?

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
  16. Foxsnipe

Foxsnipe

So I just went through the game. Damn impressive, it captures the classic fun of Sonic perfectly. I'd agree with the opinion that it's a bit too "busy," too much going on at once. Maybe tone back the foreground so the only things that stick out in front of Sonic are objects that he actually goes into/behind, like secret paths. Not sure about the flipping animation of the piranhas, it just looks weird when they jump up while upside down. Is it me or do they also not jump as high as they did in Sonic 2? Sound effects do seem overly loud in general.

I also ran into a couple of bugs. A few times, when I'd spindash at full speed towards a small incline and expect to be launched off of it, I'd just stop dead, like I hit an invisible wall. I can't seem to reproduce it all the time but it does happen. Not a big deal of course, I could just spindash again where I stopped or go on my way. A more important bug, is this: http://twitpic.com/2zlbrj/full I went to spindash off of a small platform in the sky and somehow lodged myself into the middle of the map itself, and I can't figure a way out.

Something funny I found, courtesy of my Xbox 360 controller, is while at speed, reversing direction and looking up at the same time. I'm not expecting this to be fixed since it doesn't hurt anything, but it made for a quick chuckle.

Great job! Can't wait to see what more you do in future releases.

17. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    Someone should update the wiki article.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Congrats, you just made a demo better than Sonic 4 completed.

19. Skaarg

Skaarg

I just tried it out on both of my computers.

Desktop: Runs Fantastic setting at 1280*720 or Good setting at 1920*1080 and it's pretty dang smooth.

Netbook: Fastest at lowest resolution windowed and I only got like 3 FPS. Litterly I saw the exact same 3 millisecond numbers every second. <_< So obviously and unfortunately this won't be a netbook game.

Overall though I'm liking a lot of what I see. For some reason though I have the problem with running into enemies so much. They just don't stand out like in most sonic games I guess. Something I'll get over I'm sure though.

funny bug though. Run towards an enemy with no rings and quickly change directions before dying. Sonic will run towards you dying. =P

20. Chaud

Chaud

Holy... I have no words. I mean...

I just... Yeah.

Thank You. My last 10 minutes were the best 10 minutes of... I dunno, the last 6 months. Wow.