don't click here

Sonic Fan Remix

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by pelikan13, Mar 13, 2010.

1. pelikan13

pelikan13

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like Sonic Team could have easily pulled off a different art style. The problem is they're trying to upscale the same art style they used for Sonic 1 and 2, and doing a poor job at it I might add. Thus why you get the Sonic with only 3 shades of blue and things like that. They could have just as easily used the art style and level motifs from Sonic Colors only with the higher res models from Unleashed and higher res textures and made a Sonic 4 out of that and it would have looked fantastic.

Not justifying the look of Sonic 4, just giving a possible reason behind it. They could have imitated the classic art style much better though.

Now to stay on topic with this fan game... I like where it's going but tone the blue down a bit. Also why weren't there any spikes or monitors in the video?

3. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Considering you're quoting a post from over 5 months ago my opinion has changed a bit..

freakin translation: I can have a different opinion than I did way back in March. Come on, first post and you're gravequoting.

I still think the art style looks like an old Crash Bandicoot game but I kinda like it now

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It still annoys me when people say fangames are better than Sega's creations. For what it's worth, in that Games Radar article, the author asks me to consider which game looks more Sonic-y. You know which one I pick? Sonic 4. It's cartoony and it doesn't take itself seriously. It seems to be all about fun.

This game is all well and good though. It's a fan remix, so my opinion has no clout whatsoever. It's not a remake, so he can do what he wants.

5. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    While I enjoy the fact that they made comparisons between Sonic 4 and Sonic Fan Game (Just seeing the clear differences in the screenshots), I don't like the idea that they're making these comparisons, it's almost as if they're teasing SEGA entirely, and this cannot go down well, why hell, SEGA could initially take down the production of this here said fan game, and I sure as hell would be disappointed. Not to say they will, but the thought is there =(

6. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Sega is too supportive of fangames to take this down. >_>

7. Mahdi

Mahdi

That is amazing! That HD 5165 is a renamed HD 4650 with higher clocks and performs about as well as a HD 3850/70 so a lot of people with midrange graphics and a decent cpu should have no problem, eh? Do games made with Unity require more cpu power than average (as they're programmed in c#/js)?

8. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Its nice to hear that my HD4670 will run this thing...but, its not a surprise anyways, I can run most modern games run at 40-55 fps on my poor-man resolution (1024x768 lol) with this one.

hell, Im even playing Dead Rising 2 with 2X Antialising at the highest setting at these fps.

----

Anyways, I really like that video, even if "Insert things like, too busy, washed, bla bla bla" I believe its a "good start" to me. The only thing that doesnt feels "that much sonic" to me is that everything has a ...phong? (I believe) shader, like for example, Samus on Metroid Prime that looks so shiny and reflective... Its still nice, but maybe overused to me.

Still it looks pretty nice, so keep the good work :D!

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Is it at all possible to run this on a Mac...?

...Maybe?

:ohdear:

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Unity builds for Macs.

11. pyrotix

pyrotix

Brooklyn, NY
    Newmindspace
    It should run on OS X natively, right? The Unity engine has been ported to Mac

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    That's awesome news. I'm not familiar at all with The Unity engine, so I have no idea.

13. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Unity is a very good engine I think more people should use. It is a lot more visual than most 3D engines, simplifies lots of the process so that you can produce faster (only requiring a knowledge on how to use C++ programming as a minimum), is very easy to port things into (with a wide variety of extensions available for it) is highly functional even on low-end computers with optional outputs and resolutions and as such is easy to integrate, and best of all, it produces for PC & Mac (as either stand-alone application or built-in web browser games), Steam, IPhone, and Wii (with Xbox 360 and PSP support coming soon). It is also free for the most basic version THOUGH it requires you to purchase licenses if you ever want to sell games. It is also a very community-based engine with users providing lots of tutorials, assets, and advice on it if you need help. In other words, and I mean this quite literally, if anyone ever wanted to make a 3D fan game from the ground-up (IE not a mod), I really do believe Unity is the best way to do it, thanks to it's price, accessibility, and abilities.

Anyways though, as for Sonic Fan Remix I think it looks fan-fucking-tastic. I think you have done a lot for it to really make it look special and the level design and stage pieces look great to me. I also want to see the project be the best it can be and while tinting might be a necessity I will agree the blue tint makes it look a bit washed-out... IF there is anything at all you can do to fix this and not sacrifice frame rate or something that would be great. The other is the Badnik sound effects when you smash them BUT that is so easy to add I wouldn't be surprised if you already did it.

Still it's shaping up and I commend you for even getting this much done. You seem committed and your project is starting to garnish attention, more than most fan projects do. That in big part speaks of the quality of the project.

I'll stick out of the Sonic 4 arguments except to say, "What's the point?" as comparing apples and oranges based on the fact their both fruit is silly. And this game won't get closed down, SEGA is pretty awesome with fan-made materials and games, they always have been and I don't see that changing.

14. Mathias

Mathias

I registered to give my two cents on this, and speaking as someone who's truly picky and discerning...

I love this trailer. This is everything I wanted graphically in a Sonic remake, but didn't know how to articulate. I think it oozes style and expresses better than my own inarticulable problems with games like New Super Mario Brothers Wii.

I just want to address the specific points and ask a few questions.

Graphics: While I understand some people's complaints I'm not of the opinion that this will be a problem. There is a cohesiveness to the composition that causes all the little touches to feel right, not extraneous. When I play a game that is so heavily detailed graphically my first thought is always "Wow I REALLY want to play it again", and when I come back after a hiatus from the game it feels new a fresh. I'm glad you're clear on the style you want. Not a lot of people out there can pull off a composition like this.

Sonic's character model has quite a lot of depth to it. I'd be very interested to see the idle animations.

I'm sure it will undergo tweaking before release, and these are the only things I think need to be mentioned... provided that blue filter is not a mainstay of every level of course. Someone already addressed that Sonic felt too small and I agree. Just a small tweak regarding that and I think that sense of business people talk about would not really be such a problem. Maybe 10, 15 percent increase? I'm not an artist but that's just me eyeballing it.

Audio: The opening part to me felt like it had a really strong infusion of Donkey Kong Country 2's style. I don't think that's a bad thing. I think there were some issues with the music in the stage proper... it didn't feel like a final mix. The more I listened to it the more I just thought it needed some tweaking and remastering before it's done and you'd do VERY well to stick with that style. It certainly bounces like a Genesis game. I prefer a Sonic 2 album I have on my computer for this game... I think it's primarily a guy named Cinossu who did much of the album?

The SFX are a little bland though. The Badnik 'pop' being at least a little louder, the skid sound being replaced... that'd help it along nicely. For some reason I really like the spring SFX. Maybe because of the echo to it.

Considering who you have working with you on the engine I don't think I'm competent to speak on gameplay, especially since I have not played it yet (and I promise you I will!).

But... one thing went through my mind when I read through all these pages, watched the trailers, thought carefully on how you used the different background layers and rather gushed to my friends.

What is this game supposed to be? The first clip is of Sonic 1 (I think), the new video is an Emerald Hill remake... Right now people are seriously speculating on what exactly you're doing with this project with no real understanding of the goals. While I'm hoping for a Sonic 1-3&K + CD remake (I love Sonic CD like you can't believe) with the peel-out and Tails and Knuckles playable in all stages. I'm going to take a shot and say that's probably not what's going in to this project.

So what's this game supposed to be? I understand completely if you don't want to say at this phase in development, but God knows there are people out there who would be glad to know it.

If this plays as well as it looks it will become a permanent mainstay on my computer. I look forward to seeing the project come to fruition.

And if it ever comes to it... I'm working with nonlinear editing software, Final Cut Pro specifically. If there comes a point where you want a trailer cut together I would be glad to do so. Just give me a PM.

15. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I hadn't thought of it that way. It is called Sonic Fan Remix, not Sonic 2 Fan Remix. Very, very interesting.

In line with Mathias's questions, could this be a full-on audio-visual remix of all three (four) games? Or something like Sonic Pocket Adventure, where you take some stages and remix them into one game?

16. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    It's been ported on iPhone, too, right? :3

17. pelikan13

pelikan13

Yes, my goal is to have zones from Sonic 1-3, this demo however will cosist of three Emerald hill acts, the first one you have already seen and it's very close to the original, Acts 2 and 3 do more justice to the "remix" in the title, they have quite a diferent layout and one is in the rain and the other at night..

18. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    A Sonic Pocket Adventure like remix of levels? I think I'd actually be down with that. Pocket blended levels together in interesting ways. :)

19. Mathias

Mathias

That should be very interesting. While my preference would be a full remake because I don't think I could get enough of this, I can't wait to play.

20. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    I officially have high hopes for this game. Still, not gonna be better than Sonic 4 IMO, but... :eng101: